When TT3 was the next Big Thing

Here are the two 1/4 reverse curves made.  Instead of the usual using the Tri-ang ends for each piece of track I made a pair up from two halves and soldered some brass wire along each rail underneath.  The "black" along the join I think is the flux that has seeped through, or melted plastic as a lot of heat was needed to solder the pins in situ.  Unfortunately one piece had two different rail profiles so a little grinding and filing has taken place.

I have managed to get two clean fishplates to be sliders for the half curve between the upper level and incline as the layout will be stored as two different sections with the upper level slotted over set blocks on the main baseboard.

Garry

post-22530-0-69372400-1516971288_thumb.jpg

Edited by Golden Fleece 30
  • Like 2

What a fascinating post! As a long time resident of Leeds, and ex LMRS member, I well remember spending hours in the Corn Exchange watching trains running on Lydney Town, and after reading some very interesting posts here, I decided to do a quick recce as I have a 'few bits' of Tri-ang TT hidden away. Some great memories revived.....post-1645-0-91011000-1517440551_thumb.jpgpost-1645-0-08530200-1517440579_thumb.jpgpost-1645-0-67387100-1517440605_thumb.jpg

.....its a bit late to go digging in the garage but I'm sure theres a lump of 12mm ply in there, and I'm sure its at least 5'x3'..... Hmmmm!.....

Edited by pippindoo
  • Like 5

Looks like you have quite an investment there, rather than a few bits stashed away.....I sold mine off last year!

Dava

Possibly so Dava, theres 9 locos, around 30 coaches, 3 dozen or so wagons and allsorts of bits of track and accessories etc. I'll have to have a good sort out and set up a circuit of track and have a running session! That'll be the start of it.....

• Like 5

Well, just IF anyones interested, heres a stocklist! Ive spent the day, stripping down, cleaning and oiling the locos and can report all ran straight away, the Jinty, Brush 2, Spam Can and DMU are virtually silent, but 1 of the 2 BRITANNIAs has some valve gear missing on one side, though it still runs fine. The coaching stock and wagons have been stripped and washed, buildings, platforms, etc are all scrubbed clean though 2 of the 3 Engine Sheds are missing their smoke stacks. Theres a LOT of Type A track so its odds on that a layout of some sort will materialize before too long. Its been such a FUN day with many memories rekindled, the sparking wheels, the smell of warm carbon, laying on the floor making train noises.....Bliss!!post-1645-0-08550600-1517520444_thumb.jpgpost-1645-0-79971300-1517520469_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Tri-ang TT is like cockroaches - virtually indestructible !!!

Brit15

No, that Hornby Dublo 3 rail. Survives nuclear attack. Or as I recall from an ancient 'Meccano Magazine', operating in highly radioactive lab environments.

Dava

• Like 1

A pretty good ROD 2-8-0 body and tender I got the other day.  There is a chassis but only a whitemetal one so I may make an etched one.  The finish is quite good although the photos show up more than the eye sees so I may leave it and just put some transfers on.  The instructions are strange with comments like "the whistle did not cast well so make one from wire", "this did not fit well so make your own" etc.  The tender I gather will be the BEC one as that is what is mentioned to buy in the instructions.  Overall really pleased even though it was a little more than I really wanted to pay, after all I am a Yorkshire man.  There is no name on the instructions but the parts look well cast.

I was hoping to use an XT60 but the firebox opening is very small so it looks like a short length Mashima style motor will have to be used.

Garry

post-22530-0-75335600-1517666582_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-63973700-1517666705_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The 3mm Society produced a 'ROD' kit in the 1970s so that is probably what you have. Presumably it came with motion parts.

Dava

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

3SMR list LS30 ROD 2-8-0, cast body plus etched tender. Suspect it's the same body and the tender has come from a different source; the tender is also list separately, as LT8.

• Like 1

It does have a couple of cylinders with slide bars and white metal crosshead. The coupling and connecting rods are etched. The instructions say to glue a piece of plastic to the frames then glue the cylinders on to prevent a short depending on what wheels you use. I am not keen on glueing cylinders on so will devise a different approach. The instructions which are about a quarter size of A4 look to be the type that comes of a roller if you remember those. There are only 3 sets of driving wheels so I may have to get a full set as I may not be able to get a pair with matching throw. It seems both loco and tender bodies are soldered so should be strong.

Garry

• Like 1

Insulating shim and nylon screws to attach them to the frames?

I don't really see how to do this as the parts are supplied.  I am thinking of making up a cross beam soldered to both cylinders and screwing that to the frames.  IF, I can get hold of some matching wheels insulation would not be needed as the Romfords are rim insulated.  The insulation here only becomes an issue if the wheels are axle insulated as per Tri-ang.  I have a bit of time to wait with lots of other things to do so a few weeks or so might have some wheels turn up.

As you can see the chassis is solid where the cylinders fit with just a hole for the locating pip on the cylinder casting.

Garry

post-22530-0-25736000-1517778794_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

No, that Hornby Dublo 3 rail. Survives nuclear attack. Or as I recall from an ancient 'Meccano Magazine', operating in highly radioactive lab environments.

Dava

Hi Dava

I've got that reference somewhere and it was in Meccano Magazine. I also remember it from the time, probably eary 1960s. I'm pretty sure it was a Hornby 2 rail tank loco bought from a local model shop (I suspect Howes of Oxford) pulling and propelling a modified wagon that carried the test sample to be irradiated. I can't remember whether it was at Harwell or Appleford.  

I've just been doing some work on a Hornby Acho Prairie made for the French market and the very sturdy mechanism- which I think is the same as the one used in their UK products-  looks like it could stand any amount of radiation. 

A couple of junior researchers came up with the idea of running the loco up and down a length of track as that was far simpler than almost any other way of remotely placing the test samples. I always reckoned this to have been the smallest working freight railway ever. 

I have found an earlier example of a third rail loco doing something similar in a radiaton lab in Cleveland Ohio but that appears to be O gauge. It's in a 1949 edition of popular mechanics

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=9NgDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA149&lpg=PA149&dq=model+train+used+in+radiation+lab&source=bl&ots=YQu6kpwE-I&sig=D_19s2eZKFrZYxx9wjTFPbzq71E&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjfuaDw_7bZAhVoLMAKHbR0DuQQ6AEISDAD#v=onepage&q=model%20train%20used%20in%20radiation%20lab&f=false

Hi Dava

I've got that reference somewhere and it was in Meccano Magazine. I also remember it from the time, probably eary 1960s. I'm pretty sure it was a Hornby 2 rail tank loco bought from a local model shop (I suspect Howes of Oxford) pulling and propelling a modified wagon that carried the test sample to be irradiated. I can't remember whether it was at Harwell or Appleford.  

I've just been doing some work on a Hornby Acho Prairie made for the French market and the very sturdy mechanism- which I think is the same as the one used in their UK products-  looks like it could stand any amount of radiation. 

A couple of junior researchers came up with the idea of running the loco up and down a length of track as that was far simpler than almost any other way of remotely placing the test samples. I always reckoned this to have been the smallest working freight railway ever. 

I have found an earlier example of a third rail loco doing something similar in a radiaton lab in Cleveland Ohio but that appears to be O gauge. It's in a 1949 edition of popular mechanics

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=9NgDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA149&lpg=PA149&dq=model+train+used+in+radiation+lab&source=bl&ots=YQu6kpwE-I&sig=D_19s2eZKFrZYxx9wjTFPbzq71E&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjfuaDw_7bZAhVoLMAKHbR0DuQQ6AEISDAD#v=onepage&q=model%20train%20used%20in%20radiation%20lab&f=false

It's all in Michael Fosters book.

Garry

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dava

I remember it was a 4MT 2-6-4T at Harwell probably, but you are right it was 2 rail.

Dava

I remember it was a 4MT 2-6-4T at Harwell probably, but you are right it was 2 rail.

Dava

I thought I'd saved the relevant page but  I think it's on an old drive.  As a news item it doesn't appear in the main article listings for Meccano Magazine but I think you're right about it being Harwell and a 4MT. Sometime when I've really got more time than sense I'll plough through the online page scans of the magazine.

• Like 1