The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

New diesel and petrol vehicles to be banned from 2040 in UK

57xx

• RMweb Premium

The tax thing may be quite funny as at some point it'll hit those some of those who have demanded an end to IC cars for years that if sales of petrol and diesel collapse then the lost renue will come from somewhere. That somewhere probably being found in VED on clean cars and general taxation which we'll all pay. Not that that's an argument against this change but it is rather funny to see the change in attitudes when people realise that something will cost them. A bit like people wanting to get one in the eye to horrible rich people who travel first class, OK but enjoy the higher costs that second class passengers will end up paying to claw back the lost revenues.

Wonderful reading from a place where electricity arrives overground on a wooden pole and we had a brief power cut a few minutes ago !!

Still the 500 to 600 HGV/LGV, 300+ agricultural vehicles, 500+ cars which pass our door every day should benefit from the change, not forgetting the three buses !

I think Fantasia was a superb animated film but I think even Disney might reject the idea as too far-fetched......

• RMweb Gold

Not that that's an argument against this change but it is rather funny to see the change in attitudes when people realise that something will cost them.

I'll admit to being narked that I had to pay to drive my Leaf over the Severn Bridge while it ws free to charge it up at Aust services.

Wonder what they'll do about the "noise" (or lack of it) when everything is electric... I was in a petrol station not so long ago and was about to walk across to my car when I was suddenly aware of "something" approaching me, no noise at all, it was a hybrid just using electric power... They'll have to do something, it's bad enough at the moment with pedestrians walking out in front of you, EVs will make matter much, much worse...

You'll probably be able to get a sound system which will allow you to download files to enable you to make your car sound like anything from a Trabant to a Ferrari :-) Edited by JeremyC

Wonder what they'll do about the "noise" (or lack of it) when everything is electric... I was in a petrol station not so long ago and was about to walk across to my car when I was suddenly aware of "something" approaching me, no noise at all, it was a hybrid just using electric power... They'll have to do something, it's bad enough at the moment with pedestrians walking out in front of you, EVs will make matter much, much worse...

I can't wait to hear what cyclists think of this. It's bad enough they get run over by lorries and PSVs at the moment, but a Third Column of EVs is going to make them really unhappy.

• Like 1

I can't wait to hear what cyclists think of this. It's bad enough they get run over by lorries and PSVs at the moment, but a Third Column of EVs is going to make them really unhappy.

Its payback from the pedestrians who have been on the receiving end of them on pavements!

• RMweb Gold

Judging by the number of cyclists I've seen lately wearing headphones, they won't notice noisy vehicles any more than silent ones.

This portion of the cycling gene pool evidently possess either a death-wish or delusions of immortality, and they are just asking to get run over by something they aren't even aware of.

Edited by Dunsignalling

You'll probably be able to get a sound system which will allow you to download files to enable you to make your car sound like anything from a Trabant to a Ferrari :-)

From some of the sounds coming from many cars in Brum's city centre I expect people will convert the sound system to play loud Rap "music"! :)

From some of the sounds coming from many cars in Brum's city centre I expect people will convert the sound system to play loud Rap "music"! :)

You missed a letter off the name of that genre of 'music'...