Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

Car riding seems to be the latest internet craze that snakes have taken up. There was a brown inside a blokes ute yesterday too:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews/logan/ute-driver-shaken-after-sneaky-deadly-snake-slithers-over-his-arm/news-story/dd6b9b5bd00747a9aa662eeda57385c4

And once other birds hear about this internet bird craze, we'll all be in big trouble:

https://www.livescience.com/61375-fire-spreading-raptors.html

Edited by monkeysarefun

Car riding seems to be the latest internet craze that snakes have taken up. There was a brown inside a blokes ute yesterday too:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews/logan/ute-driver-shaken-after-sneaky-deadly-snake-slithers-over-his-arm/news-story/dd6b9b5bd00747a9aa662eeda57385c4

Usually those stories are about snakes under the bonnet and are not usually brown snakes.

I have to admit that experience would not be pleasant.

A 24 year old man died after a brown snake bite near Tamworth yesterday. He was bitten on the finger but died within the hour......very quick !

A guy here in town was hit by a ten ton truck and died instantly which makes the brown snake only an hour behind but, size for size the snake's the Daddy.

Also, you can survive a confrontation with a ten ton truck but, apparently, not a brown snake.

So, no contest.

Edited by allan downes

Question.

A certain frog in the Amazon is supposed to be one of the most poisonous creatures in the world ( but not in Oz of course where even a flea could kill you faster ) and lives of flies and other small insects so, why does it carry enough poison to floor a Rhino ?

Answer.

Because the Australian Prehistoric version actually ate Rhinos as well as flies - or so Monkeysarefun told me in a private PM...

Edited by allan downes

You need some of these Bungarras to sort that pair out, they love snakes for breakfast.

We had one in our back yard for ages, but he seems to have moved on. My wife was thrilled when He first disappeared but not so much now, as since He's been gone We've had 2 or 3 snakes turn up. I wish he'd come back, I hate snakes. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK6H4_3LbSY

Edited by The Blue Streak
  • Like 3

Well all the Aussies on here are cringing due the goings on about a wallaby on the Sydney harbour bridge. As Australia has been the butt of jokes about riding kangaroos to work (well that would be cheaper than the car and fuel costs!) and wallaby's wandering around our big cities...

I must admit taking the dog for a walk to night and did hear a kookaburra. The dog also scared off any snakes! For some unknown reason he decided that we were to Trott for the entire walk!

• Like 2

Well all the Aussies on here are cringing due the goings on about a wallaby on the Sydney harbour bridge. As Australia has been the butt of jokes about riding kangaroos to work (well that would be cheaper than the car and fuel costs!) and wallaby's wandering around our big cities...

I must admit taking the dog for a walk to night and did hear a kookaburra. The dog also scared off any snakes! For some unknown reason he decided that we were to Trott for the entire walk!

I saw that on channel 9, Doug. Apparently it's got a few cuts and scrapes as a result of it's adventure, (more like where half the NSW police force gang tackled the poor little blighter).

Edit - I mean the wallaby on the bridge, not your dog taking you for a trot !!!

Edited by The Blue Streak
  • Like 2

Been watching '72 most dangerous animals in Australia' on Netflix.

It amazes me that anyone can actually survive in Australia without either being bitten, stung, trampled on or eaten alive by any one of the 72.

Apparently, some kind of fanged furry death lurks in every bodies bedroom. Slippery fanged death awaits you in your own back yard. Go swimming and death awaits you in great abundance where sharks get first chomp. A picnic way out in the country means a 50/50 chance of making it back home in one piece where everything that can either slither, crawl, jump, leap or fly represents the 50% that makes sure you don't. Then there's the magpie season where squadrons of these winged assailants attack every thing that moves and every thing that doesn't.

No wonder the Aussies have a wild sense of humour !

Allan

Edited by allan downes
  • Like 1

It amazes me that anyone can actually survive in Australia without either being bitten, stung, trampled on or eaten alive by any one of the 72.

Apparently, some kind of fanged furry death lurks in every bodies bedroom. Slippery fanged death awaits you in your own back yard. Go swimming and death awaits you in great abundance where sharks get first chomp. A picnic way out in the country means a 50/50 chance of making it back home in one piece where everything that can either slither, crawl, jump, leap or fly represents the 50% that makes sure you don't. Then there's the magpie season where squadrons of these winged assailants attack every thing that moves and every thing that doesn't.

Allan

Bloke here at work came in after lunch yesterday saying he'd broken his record for a 1km dash after jogging through the bush outside the base (we are in the Blue Mountains so outside the gate its bush everywhere) and almost stepping on 3 brown snakes spaced about 50 metres apart for maximum impact.

I'd gone for a run earlier on a different route and had been thinking that its strange that I've only spotted 3 snakes in the 20 years or so I've been running around here.. Makes me wonder now how many I have stepped over/on without even realising.

• Like 2

Bloke here at work came in after lunch yesterday saying he'd broken his record for a 1km dash after jogging through the bush outside the base (we are in the Blue Mountains so outside the gate its bush everywhere) and almost stepping on 3 brown snakes spaced about 50 metres apart for maximum impact.

I'd gone for a run earlier on a different route and had been thinking that its strange that I've only spotted 3 snakes in the 20 years or so I've been running around here.. Makes me wonder now how many I have stepped over/on without even realising.

That was "your" three snakes all ganging up on your mate!  :jester:

Allan

That's a really wonderfully optimistic summation of Australia's wildlife, Allan.  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Watch out for the pot plants in your house/garden! No, not those pot plants, but the one that can make you deaf!

http://www.theage.com.au/national/popular-pot-plant-causes-string-of-serious-ear-injuries-20180118-p4yym3.html

How do we send this thread to the two fat men with funny haircuts :scared:

Mike

Allan

Allan,

Have you heard about the notorious drop bears?? Beware!

Graeme

P.S. Check out . . .  https://australianmuseum.net.au/drop-bear

• Like 2

Allan,

Have you heard about the notorious drop bears?? Beware!

Graeme

P.S. Check out . . .  https://australianmuseum.net.au/drop-bear

Of course, where else other than Oz would a bear drop out of a tree with ill intentions to any passer by ?

Australia also has such a diverse climate as I also discovered on another Netflix channel.

In the first episode, there's a regular army of guys that freez to death way up in the mountains in sub Arctic conditions at the same time as some guy is trying to cross the Simpson desert towing what looks like a Tesco shopping trolley behind him in 50 plus degrees heat. - apparently, both regions have claimed  their fair share of lives of  unfortunate nationals who you'd think would  know better.

Then their,s this guy demonstrating what to do when stung by a jelly fish. Well, what I expected was a verbal demonstration but, what did I get ? a guy stinging himself with a jelly fish that he had floating about in a bucket by rubbing it up and down his arm then instructing the presenter to pour vinegar on it. Only an Oz would do that !

Following that was another guy messing about with the second most deadly snake in the world -  the Australian  brown snake - THEN TRIES TO KISS IT !!!- Well, quite naturally, it bit him on the end of his nose where he explains to the presenter - " No worries mate, it's just a nick" as he inspects his nose in a car mirror ! But, then again, only an Oz would do that... and I love 'em all, each and every one ! I mean, where else other than Oz would you get a grandmother wrestling with a salt water croc !!!

I salute then all. Every OZ should be knighted ( except for their cricket team  and Rolf Harris... )

Allan.

• Like 1

When the Yanks first started to rotate Marines through Australia.The Aussie RAR (infantry) used to tell them stories about drop bears. They were a bit suspicious at first as to the truth of these stories.

One night a possum (that had been making a bit of a racket) fell out of a tree on to a tent where a bunch of these yanks were sleeping, it panicked and started to shred everything it came into contact with using it's quite substantial claws.

Obviously being dark they never actually saw the possum, so they were told that they had probably been one of the few people who ever survived a drop bear attack.

Once they returned home they must have repeated the story (with some embellishments) because the next bunch were already terrified of them without the help of the RAR.

post-23233-0-46591900-1516333299.jpg

Well we should tell Allan that because everything can kill you we rarely see them as the place is so Big... but saying that, before christmas when I was getting a lift home by a mate and his partner ,after our christmas breakup. His partner said "oh i have been at the top of your street earlier this week." The reason was one of the workers had been in one of the street pits for the telephone system had come face to face with a brown snake!

So as usual I reminded the kids to keep an eye out for snakes or lizards as they may be around .... yeap in suburban Melbourne! 

• Like 1