RMweb

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

• RMweb Premium

Strangely enough seems like pahia is being taken over by visitors from Oz. Some arrived on a floating block of flats and are now on their way back to Sydney. (Sun princess) No snakes or other venomous beasties were allowed to land..

Baz

From recent reports with brawling passengers and the disinfectant procedures required, it's the other passengers you need to be afraid of!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Don't even think about driving in Victoria, Australia if you're in the habit of having a bit more than a little drink. As from 30th April, its an automatic loss of licence, if caught at 0.05 for 3 months and an alcohol interlock device fitted - once you get your licence back!

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/low-range-drink-drivers-will-lose-licence-immediately-under-new-laws-in-victoria

Remember, the limit is lower than that which is standard in the UK (except for Scotland). The laws are particularly strict in Victoria and a lot of random testing is done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drunk_driving_law_by_country#Australia

Kevin, I wonder if good ol dan and his cronies have shares in the interlock companies....

Ok this is getting rediculous. They started saying the limit was .05... now if you blow .05 your done... give them 15minutes it will be down to .025.. wait .024... so one drink and your over. Or is this the way to take the work load off a magistrates who are over worked...but don't hand down big enough penalties?

The system is still busted..

Now this has nothing to do with safety though that is what they say... it is because every one has slowed down... (partly because the roads are so congested!) and bringing in 6 and 3 monthly rego payments people won't be done for unregistered cars...

The amazing thing is the stats the last time I heard them were something like. 1/3 of road toll were unlicensed, 1/3 were over .05.... the next how ever were about 1/3 single car, single driver, and stationary object... which I have always wondered are they suicides?... which I have heard is a way to bury the stats.... this last group can be reduced but if some one is determined to find a final end they will be able to find a way, unfortunately.

I will also point out that this year the toll is down about 20% so is this working? No as it has been trending down for years as the cars and roads get better. So as it is about 61 this year and last years annual total was 258. I do agree this is still too many but to continue to make driving harder and harder it seems to be a dollar grab rather than a safety message. Oh and let's not look at the reducing totals year on year that never get mentioned...

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Kevin, I wonder if good ol dan and his cronies have shares in the interlock companies....

Ok this is getting rediculous. They started saying the limit was .05... now if you blow .05 your done... give them 15minutes it will be down to .025.. wait .024... so one drink and your over. Or is this the way to take the work load off a magistrates who are over worked...but don't hand down big enough penalties?

The system is still busted..

Now this has nothing to do with safety though that is what they say... it is because every one has slowed down... (partly because the roads are so congested!) and bringing in 6 and 3 monthly rego payments people won't be done for unregistered cars...

The amazing thing is the stats the last time I heard them were something like. 1/3 of road toll were unlicensed, 1/3 were over .05.... the next how ever were about 1/3 single car, single driver, and stationary object... which I have always wondered are they suicides?... which I have heard is a way to bury the stats.... this last group can be reduced but if some one is determined to find a final end they will be able to find a way, unfortunately.

I will also point out that this year the toll is down about 20% so is this working? No as it has been trending down for years as the cars and roads get better. So as it is about 61 this year and last years annual total was 258. I do agree this is still too many but to continue to make driving harder and harder it seems to be a dollar grab rather than a safety message. Oh and let's not look at the reducing totals year on year that never get mentioned...

Sorry Doug, just found this.

Personally, I think the new law is a bit draconian for a first offence. For others, perhaps they really do need to LEARN, that holding a driving licence is a privilege and not a right.

First offenders between 0.05 and 0.07, I think ought to get an opportunity to explain to a magistrate, before losing everything, which losing a licence for 3 months probably will. Except of course the wealthy, who can probably employ someone to drive them around.

The thing that concerns me is, what stupid things people will do to attempt to avoid getting tested. Sudden, dangerous U-turns, driving off at high speed etc. Also continuing to drive with cancelled licences. BTW I do know exactly what its like to have a licence suspended - my wife is in that category, as she now has epilepsy and who knows if she'll ever get it re-instated. Its a right PITA, for both of us.

As you know there has been a recent spate of 'hit & runs', how many of these relate to people that are over the 0.05 limit? But as you suggest, I'd really like to see the statistics relating to these drunk drivers that kill/get killed & what their actual level was? I suspect that very few are at the low levels - although 1 is not a good look.

Sorry, I cannot agree with your 'Dan and his cronies' comments. If people are stupid enough to drink and drive (beyond a first low level offence), then they deserve an interlock, because they've proven themselves to NOT BE capable of being TRUSTED. Its as simple as that!

This page gives a rolling average (more useful than an annual statistic IMO) and the numbers are definitely falling (except for 2016-17).

https://www.tac.vic.gov.au/road-safety/statistics/lives-lost-rolling-12-month

In case your wondering, I'm not a non-drinker, but never have more than one, because to me, my licence is worth more, than a 2nd drink. Period.

Road congestion certainly slows people down, but still the highest percentage is in rural areas, where congestion rarely applies. Maybe some are suicides, but I think drugs as well as alcohol are far more significant. On RBT (Random Breath Test on TV), you see them all the time, they finish work, go to the pub, have a few drinks and get caught. Oh, maybe I shouldn't have skipped lunch! Now I have to live with the consequences. Really?

The toll is certainly coming down. In 1970 for Victoria, it was 1061 for the year (table 2 below), compared to 240 for the current 12 months.

https://www.tac.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/66407/History-of-Road-Fatalities-from-1925.pdf

• Like 1

The toll is certainly coming down. In 1970 for Victoria, it was 1061 for the year (table 2 below), compared to 240 for the current 12 months.

https://www.tac.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/66407/History-of-Road-Fatalities-from-1925.pdf

And that's against a population that has probably getting on for doubled in the intervening 48 years.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And that's against a population that has probably getting on for doubled in the intervening 48 years.

In table 1, it gave the statistic of 12,501, 000 for Australia, so the population has doubled, but probably in Victoria the rise has been more than that.

Certainly drink driving culture has changed dramatically since then. A lot of people used to drive home, no matter how drunk. Some claimed they drove better when drunk!

Also tow truck operators used to hang around notorious intersections and would have fisticuffs to get a job. They also paid spotters fees, to people that rang them up. A nice earner for locals.

Kevin, I think you and I are actually on the same page. The idea of real safety change is good.... but the recent spate of bad accidents most of which are high speed and through red lights in stolen cars is rising. The lack of transparency of what was the causes and now both the political parties seem to be pushing this "safety" message but the real reasons seem to be ignored.

Changing the drink driving law I see is a backwards step to not allow an explanation for a first time offence to a magistrate.

I have heard it said by a police officer it is easier and better for him to write out as many tickets, such as unlicensed about 1500, unregistered $800 un road worthy car, etc... than it is to send the individual to the magistrate to get a small fine... say 500.

I loved those sit up and beg Fords which were great as long as you didn't try and pull birds in one ! "Wanna ride in my sit-up-and-beg darlin'" was the ultimate in wishful thinking.

I had a workmate Allan who used to have a Holden Torana XU1 and he had the initials NR NRH on the dashboard in front of the passenger. He showed me a photo. NR NRH stood for No Root No Ride Home. He used to work for the local council and in one council car he suggested to his wife that the go out to the garage and "christen" the car (have sex in it). I asked if he did in the car and he said yes and no. It wasn't like being a young bloke. He said it took them ages to get into the right position and then his knees gave out.

I had a workmate Allan who used to have a Holden Torana XU1 and he had the initials NR NRH on the dashboard in front of the passenger. He showed me a photo. NR NRH stood for No Root No Ride Home. He used to work for the local council and in one council car he suggested to his wife that the go out to the garage and "christen" the car (have sex in it). I asked if he did in the car and he said yes and no. It wasn't like being a young bloke. He said it took them ages to get into the right position and then his knees gave out.

Most British car designers never gave thought to car owners wanting to have sudden and urgent sex on the back seat but the determined could always manage it by opening the back windows as a means of accommodating madams legs ! 

Well it worked in a Ford 8 anyway...

Most British car designers never gave thought to car owners wanting to have sudden and urgent sex on the back seat but the determined could always manage it by opening the back windows as a means of accommodating madams legs !

Well it worked in a Ford 8 anyway...

It was possible in a mini (a proper one, not this modern BMW rubbish) without opening any windows (well it was when I was young and athletic!.....)

• RMweb Premium

The joys of fully reclining front seats, back in the early 80s...  :boast:  :sungum:

Following up on this theme, a Cortina Mk II Estate worked well too. The front seats didn't recline but with the back seats folded there was a flat area over 6 ft long, with good headroom too...