RMweb

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

The emus eat you out of house and home, the cassowaries simply kick you to death.

Many years ago my little brother had a sandwich (a bit floppy in the heat) in a wildlife park in South Australia. He was probably around ten.

A nearby emu on the other side of a fence relieved him of it in one gulp. It literally vanished.

I wouldn't go near a cassowary that wasn't in a secure enclosure.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Never mind, catch the next one. They say it'll be about 100 years before another total eclipse can be seen from Australia. ;)

Hmm. Not sure who "they" are, but according to https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/australia/sydney the next total lunar eclipse visible in Sydney will be on 26/5/21, the previous one having been on 31 January this year. Lunar eclipses are far more frequent than solar eclipses.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Saw one of those when I lived in England, was about 11am in the morning, bright clear skies. Being a welder, I put the darkest shade of welding glass in my helmet and watched it through that.

If that was the 1999 one, I took a holiday to Hungary to see it. Quite magnificent.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I missed out on it too as I couldn't be bothered to get up early on a Saturday...

I read the weather forecast for Melbourne and it said cloudy, so didn't bother.

From home, I don't get a good view of the Westerly sky anyway. But next time there's a Lunar eclipse in the Easterly sky, I'll be ready and waiting!

Hmm. Not sure who "they" are, but according to https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/australia/sydney the next total lunar eclipse visible in Sydney will be on 26/5/21, the previous one having been on 31 January this year. Lunar eclipses are far more frequent than solar eclipses.

Some TV show, can't remember which. :)

When I looked it up, what they failed to say was the next one that lasts as long as this one. They also failed to say that it won't be visible in Australia.

The next eclipse to last that long will occur on June 9, 2123, but it will not be visible from Australia.

If that was the 1999 one, I took a holiday to Hungary to see it. Quite magnificent.

Yes, that was the one. :)

• Like 1

Some TV show, can't remember which. :)

When I looked it up, what they failed to say was the next one that lasts as long as this one. They also failed to say that it won't be visible in Australia.

Yes, that was the one. :)

Yesterdays lunar eclipse was the longest one for this century at about 100 minutes. The next time it will be that long is 2123, that is what the media were trying to say.

Many years ago my little brother had a sandwich (a bit floppy in the heat) in a wildlife park in South Australia. He was probably around ten.

A nearby emu on the other side of a fence relieved him of it in one gulp. It literally vanished.

I wouldn't go near a cassowary that wasn't in a secure enclosure.

Bu99er  the Cassowaries, the maggies have  started already...

https://www.magpiealert.com/

Never mind them...

Monkeysarefun, that reminds me of the early to mid eighties as a kid watching his adventures... became known in our household of 3.... as "AlbyBingles".... as he was always getting injured or hurt each episode! Still remember him breaking open WWII amunition in PNG to see if it was still live and setting fire to it! Then getting an old WWII truck on Bougainville going again with a jerry built 44gallon drum as a radiator! 

What ever happened to his girlfriends who always seemed to be very attractive.... maybe that is why Dad wanted to watch the episodes so regularly...  

If you want a sort of spoofed rerun of Albie's escapades, Russel Coight (Glenn Robbins) is making a come-back on TV.

As an aside, there is a teacher at the school I work in who is a dead ringer for Glenn Robbins.

Also harking back to those exciting 1980s, remember Harry Butler? He'd find a hole and shove his arm down it and haul up all sorts of nasties without batting an eyelid ... and without getting bitten, stung, clawed or otherwise injured :D

Edited by SRman
  • Like 1

Harry was the "Steve Urwin" of the eighties.... I have just looked up his wiki page.. expecting him to have been carted off by a red bellied black snake or some other cute and cuddly Australian animal but no it was boring old Cancer! 

• Like 1

Harry was the "Steve Urwin" of the eighties.... I have just looked up his wiki page.. expecting him to have been carted off by a red bellied black snake or some other cute and cuddly Australian animal but no it was boring old Cancer! 

Could have been worse, could have been a Wombat.

Ow but wombats are cute and cuddly with razor sharp claws that make carving knifes look small! Did you ever notice that when ever some on is holding a wombat the feet and hands are pointed away from them towards the audience!

And if you hit a large one at 100km/h with a car late at night on a country road, they can be deadly...

For a while I worked with an ex-truckie who reckoned that on the occasion that he hit one with 40 odd tons of semi-trailer the entire rig felt like it got air. They're basically ambulant bowling balls.