RMweb

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

G'Day Folks

Went down the shops early, to beat the heat, when I got back to the car, without thinking, I popped my sunglasses on, that had been sitting on the dashboard, one micro second later, they were back on the dash, absolutely red hot.

manna

Be careful there Manna, you might end up with burns.... Really don't want that as I think it will be a long very hot summer! best to laze around inside in the Air Con reading RM web.... I really need to go a dig out my J15 to figure out why it doesn't want to run nicely!

G'Day Folks

I was fairly lucky, I wear normal glasses, and they slip over the top of them, but they were still hot enough, to almost singe my eyebrows and temple.

As for branding myself with the seat belt buckle, it was tucked down the side of the door, so shaded.

manna

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

G'Day Folks

Went down the shops early, to beat the heat, when I got back to the car, without thinking, I popped my sunglasses on, that had been sitting on the dashboard, one micro second later, they were back on the dash, absolutely red hot.

manna

And to think people leave kids/dogs in their vehicles!

• RMweb Gold

And to think people leave kids/dogs in their vehicles!

Dick Heads.........I went down to Yankalilla yesterday, parked the Prado(it's white and reflective) for fifteen minutes or so just in time to get a couple of things from the shops...........42 degrees!!!..........when I returned, I could not get back in the car before running the airco for 5 minutes or so before I could get back into the vehicle.........to leave child or animal in that environment is tantamount to manslaughter or worse!!

Brain dead is almost the norm!!!!!!!  grog/drugs??

Mike

Mike, unfortunately the number of brain dead seem to increase exponentially! The problem with this heat is how quickly it rises in the car. People don't realise it still happens at 24 degrees in the sun... a car can easily rise into the 30's.... but when it is in the 40's... the rise goes into the high 50's in a short time. Enough to cook kids and animals. No wonder people call the police when they see it. We will go back into more temperate climate next week... here in Melbourne but guess what will happen again!

• RMweb Premium

G'Day Folks

Yep spotted a few drivers like that on our visit last year.

Can you stop talking about it being hot please.. blithering freezing up here in the North West Leeds Highlands!

Baz

Going by the Western Sydney forecast, thats probably what the observations will look like here today... (Currently 34deg  at 9.40 so we are a bit ahead of you so far!)

The two happiest words to hear at this time of the year - 'Cool Change'..

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 4

G'Day Folks

In WA it means the Toyota following the Toyota in front, which was travelling at 20km/h less than the limit, will pull out alongside it and pace it until the overtaking lane ends!!!

Cheers from WA. Land of the Slow White Toyota,

Peter  C.

G'day Folks

I tow a Caravan, so I usually get caught behind the slow drivers, 85-90 kph, until they hit that sign, up to 100-105 kph, by the time I've caught the Bu**ers up, the overtaking lane finishes, and the're back to 85-90kph. Agggggghhhhh!!!!

manna

G'day Folks

I tow a Caravan, so I usually get caught behind the slow drivers, 85-90 kph, until they hit that sign, up to 100-105 kph, by the time I've caught the Bu**ers up, the overtaking lane finishes, and the're back to 85-90kph. Agggggghhhhh!!!!

manna

Years ago, I was coming back to Melbourne through Ballarat. I was in my old Falcon hardtop (V8 4.9 litre), cruising at the speed limit (even allowing for the known speedometer error on it), being tailgated by an idiot in a Nissan Bluebird. Got to an overtaking lane, which coincided with the start of an uphill gradient (as many of these things do!). I moved left as soon as the lane started, maintaining my speed up the hill. Idiot in Bluebird puts foot down and sort of maintains his position to the rear but to my right, until the hill steepened ... I maintained speed but he fairly rapidly dwindled into the distance in my rear view mirror. :D

Edited by SRman
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

G'day Folks

manna

85-90 kph? Usually more like 70-75 kph.

I've followed a car through the Eastlink tunnel, 80kmh speed limit. Going down they travelled at 65 to the bottom, then 50 to the exit at the top. By the time they got to the 100 kmh speed limit 500 metres further on, they were up to 105 kmh!

G'Day Folks

I had a good one last year, we stayed the night in Merrawa, left there and had a good run to Dunedo, just after we left the town, we caught a truck up, small farm truck with a fair sized 4 wheel trailer, I followed him all the way to Dubbo, absolutely no chance to overtake, he wandered all over the road, fast going down hills and slow up them, when ever there was a straight bit of road a car/4 WD was coming, there are plenty of bends on that road, so the 60 or so Kms, really dragged by, was through Dubbo in 10 minutes, and out the other side, we caught up to a Toyota 75 series, with a 1 ton bag on a pallet in the back, again wandering all over the road, twist's turns and 'NO' overtaking possibility's he did pull off on to a farm track, I upped my speed to around the 100 mark from 75/80 kms, had a good run for about 30 mins, when the wind picked up, we had Dust storms, muddy rain, and gust's of over 100kph, I then had to slow down on the grounds of safety, pulled into Nyngan, 300 k's from Merrawa, 5 hours of torment. Worst driving trip I've had in many a year.

manna

G'Day Folks

I had a good one last year, we stayed the night in Merrawa, left there and had a good run to Dunedo, just after we left the town, we caught a truck up, small farm truck with a fair sized 4 wheel trailer, I followed him all the way to Dubbo, absolutely no chance to overtake, he wandered all over the road, fast going down hills and slow up them, when ever there was a straight bit of road a car/4 WD was coming, there are plenty of bends on that road, so the 60 or so Kms, really dragged by, was through Dubbo in 10 minutes, and out the other side, we caught up to a Toyota 75 series, with a 1 ton bag on a pallet in the back, again wandering all over the road, twist's turns and 'NO' overtaking possibility's he did pull off on to a farm track, I upped my speed to around the 100 mark from 75/80 kms, had a good run for about 30 mins, when the wind picked up, we had Dust storms, muddy rain, and gust's of over 100kph, I then had to slow down on the grounds of safety, pulled into Nyngan, 300 k's from Merrawa, 5 hours of torment. Worst driving trip I've had in many a year.

manna

Sounds like a good run to those of us whom have been on British motorways in winter - or the summer holidays :jester:   300km in 5 hours, bliss  37.2 miles per hour. Fortunately I don't do it much, but 7 hours to do York to Guildford, and 3 3/4 hours just to get from Camberley to Toddington services (58.7miles)  - now those are poor journeys!

Paul (who has been fined in Oz for speeding)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Paul (who has been fined in Oz for speeding)

You do have to be careful here, as the tolerance level is very low, a few km over & you get done. In some states there is a doubling of the penalties (points) over holiday periods.

https://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov.au/campaigns/double-demerits.html

Which is often enough to put drivers off the road, instantly.

Victoria takes the view that double points isn't required as the same penalties ought to apply, all year round.