The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

• 2 weeks later...

Like St Enodoc, I have heard them many times but not seen one. 

In a similar vein, though, I once caught sight of a green catbird, by the simple expedient of imitating it. It tried to see who/what was answering its calls. If a bird is capable of giving one filthy looks, this one succeeded when it saw me! :D

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just another Sunday game here, but in another land where football players wear tight shiny pants  it came as quite a revelation apparently...

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-star-jorge-taufua-catches-americas-eye-after-ferocious-hit/news-story/d7fa348a54479e3ff6a95c8963d8b5c7

and here is the tackle..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

it came as quite a revelation apparently...

Those comments from Bleacher Report are complete nonsense. (This "news" report from news.com.au was a lot of hype but I expect nothing less from that journalistic institution.)

It was a good form tackle. It is the way the NFL is trying to get players to tackle - instead of hitting each other with their helmets and getting CTE. I saw some just like it on Sunday's NFL games. Players are not penalized for a proper tackle.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Those comments from Bleacher Report are complete nonsense. (This "news" report from news.com.au was a lot of hype but I expect nothing less from that journalistic institution.)

It was a good form tackle. It is the way the NFL is trying to get players to tackle - instead of hitting each other with their helmets and getting CTE. I saw some just like it on Sunday's NFL games. Players are not penalized for a proper tackle.

Yes- my addition of 'apparently' was meant to denote sarcasm!

We get a regular supply of US blokes visiting work (military establishment so they are all either current or ex marines etc). If its footy season one of the guys here who is a member of Penrith Panthers takes them to a game (and AFL if the Swans or GWS are playing at home).

They are invariably impressed  at the speed and hard hitting of the two codes, it really opens their eyes that there is more to football than gridiron (don't know the 'official' name!)  and womens soccer.... and they go home with Rugby League fan paraphenalia to bewilder  the folk back home. (and Tim Tams)

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 4

The last post brought back  memory of when a heap of US guys were here on exercise around 2001. One of them wanted some Australian words that they could use as call signs back in the US so we gave them a heap. I still  have the hopeful thought that somewhere in the skies the following kind of thing goes on: "Big Drongo, this is Dog Rooter - over..!"

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Funny 8

22 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

We get a regular supply of US blokes visiting work (military establishment so they are all either current or ex marines etc). If its footy season one of the guys here who is a member of Penrith Panthers takes them to a game (and AFL if the Swans or GWS are playing at home).

They are invariably impressed  at the speed and hard hitting of the two codes, it really opens their eyes that there is more to football than gridiron (don't know the 'official' name!)  and womens soccer.... and they go home with Rugby League fan paraphenalia to bewilder  the folk back home. (and Tim Tams)

In the US, it is just "football". You could call it American Football. Canadian Football is similar but there are some rule differences. People in north America don't call it "gridiron" - though most would probably know what you mean.

Rugby Sevens is very popular at Universities in the US and there is a US national team. It is gaining in popularity, but there are no professional leagues. There is an annual Rugby Sevens international tournament in the US (USA Sevens) and viewership is increasing. To the best of my knowledge what is played as "Rugby" in collegiate athletics is a Rugby Union derivative. Rugby League is largely unknown in the US. Major League Soccer is also gaining dramatically in popularity. It is very popular in cities where there is no NFL team, and even in some cities where there is an NFL team.

I wouldn't expect the average US serviceman to be very familiar with any code of football other than American Football, but we should take care not to make sweeping generalizations.

Tim Tams are now widely available in US grocery stores - or at least they are where I live.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Tim Tams are now widely available in US grocery stores - or at least they are where I live.

Yeah its been a while since Arnotts hav been Australian owned - probably the fact that up until June they were owned by US Campbells opened up the US market - and caused the ridiculous amount  of Tim Tam varieties now available here - what was wrong with just plain  Tim Tams??.  Arnotts has now been sold to some US private equity firm.

29 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

the ridiculous amount  of Tim Tam varieties now available here - what was wrong with just plain  Tim Tams??

Only four flavours are available in the US. I do like the dark chocolate Tim Tams and I don't have to stuff my suitcase with them each time I return from Australia. (More room for Twisties for my son.)

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Only four flavours are available in the US. I do like the dark chocolate Tim Tams and I don't have to stuff my suitcase with them each time I return from Australia. (More room for Twisties for my son.)

The cheese flavour was apparently developed for the Indonesian market.

Many of the new flavours have been very unsuccessful

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Tam#Varieties

• Like 1