RMweb

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

15 hours ago, kevinlms said:

In Victoria, it has been recently stated that a fair number of fire trucks are over 30 years old and are a few years away from being replaced. Not good enough.

Up until the early  90's when the government got their ar5e into gear many trucks here were ex WW2 Blitz style tenders and old Bedfords!

1a8aa7dea91a62b7a9a25579e5b2c214.jpg.412ebf4345cd392567960f050d02d04c.jpg

gallery_large_h_780.jpeg.e95d276cb33842090d23530e19f8ef94.jpeg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Up until the early  90's when the government got their ar5e into gear many trucks here were ex WW2 Blitz style tenders and old Bedfords!

1a8aa7dea91a62b7a9a25579e5b2c214.jpg.412ebf4345cd392567960f050d02d04c.jpg

gallery_large_h_780.jpeg.e95d276cb33842090d23530e19f8ef94.jpeg

Puff and some of his mates come round our suburb every Christmas Eve throwing lollies  to the kids (big and small...).

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Whatever happened to Crawford Productions? (ok I could google it...!)

Who else grew up in the 70's, a time when there was a Crawford police drama on  each of the 3 commercial channels? Channel 7 had Homicide on maybe a Monday night, then channel 9 had Division 4, later in the week and channel 10 showed Matlock Police on Thursdays. All churned out from the Crawford studios and all filmed in Victoria. 

Everyone I hung out with in Primary school watched them at the risk of being an outcast if you didn't and at little lunch we'd often re-enact certain scenes from what we saw the night before, usually involving someone getting shot if it was the more gritty Homicide or Division 4, Matlock Police was set in a country town so there was usually less violence but better car chases.

I recall many mad car chases, routinely writing off cars that are now worth 5 or 6 figures.. 

Anyway this reflection came about because out of nowhere youtube added this clip to my home screen. Its from Matlock Police and because I had recently viewed a Cosmic Psychos clip of "f*ckwit City" the heavenly algorithm kicked in and sent me this, I assume because the song is used as the soundtrack.

Its sobering to see how capable our 1960's Holdens and Fords were in an off-road environment! As I watched this I recalled a letter on the letters page of the Sydney Morning Herald a couple of years ago where some lady was justifying her purchase of a Volvo SUV - "We need it because we enjoy visiting Boutique Wineries, and many of then have gravel driveways.."  Is it us that have gone soft since 1974, or just our cars?!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Without looking it up, I suspect CP gradually died because of the increasing rise of soaps and 'reality' TV.

Of course the fact that the founder died wouldn't have helped. But these shows used to be a starting point for many actors and in the twilight of their careers.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

But these shows used to be a starting point for many actors and in the twilight of their careers.

Some had a sad fall from grace though.

For instance  Gerard Kennedy began his career as Frank Banner,  upright police detective working in Melbourne's  crime hotspot of Yarra Central, on  Division 4.

Tragically  however the lure of the darkside was obviously too great because 30 or so years later he had morphed into notorious Melbourne underworld figure and member of "The Carlton Crew"  Graham "The Munster" kinnisburgh in the first series of  "Underbelly".

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

Another reason not to sit in any row that's in line with the front part of the engine.

From 2014.

The passenger's glasses were knocked off - by a propeller blade. No fatalities.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

From 2014.

The passenger's glasses were knocked off - by a propeller blade. No fatalities.

QED.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

The UK air ambulances are free and are funded by charity donations.. 

It helps sometimes if you get a free pilot as well ( technically he was paid, but it was donated back to the charity)

One of our local pilots unit recently..

image.png.f7ccbca60e6dcf00ad0f3d13122deb8e.png

• Like 5

5 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

This one was more serious.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8lb74m

This is a more useful reference. I wasn't going to sit through 45 minutes of 'dramatization'.

The aircraft was a Lockheed Electra. The airframe was first delivered to QANTAS in 1959 and was 34 years old at the time of the accident - which is pretty old for that vintage of aircraft - even if it 'only' had 33,000 flying hours.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Plenty of Darwin candidates there.

That's right, it's not all that far from Darwin...

• Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

That's right, it's not all that far from Darwin...

Well compared to most places of interest to capital cities.

That's only 285 km or a 3 hour drive each way, no stops!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, kevinlms said:

Well compared to most places of interest to capital cities.

That's only 285 km or a 3 hour drive each way, no stops!

And once you get to the sign that says "Welcome to Kakadu" you've still got long drives inside the park itself to get to the various places of interest (cave paintings, waterfalls etc.....)

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Weeding out the simpler folk!

Why is "the old viewing platform closed while the new viewing platform is being built". (I'm guessing the old one was dangerous - partial washout or something.)

This doesn't square with the following:

According to the NP site there are three viewing platforms at Cahill's crossing.

The Cahills Crossing viewing area on the western bank of the East Alligator River is a safe place to watch estuarine (saltwater) crocodiles in the wild.

The site has three viewing platforms and a picnic area linked by a rainforest walk

Somehow I'm not keen on using the 'picnic area'.

Shades of Wally Gator doing a Yogi Bear with the pic-a-nic baskets.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

When is sliced beetroot coming back?!

The only word I can find from the vampiric US company that bought Golden Circle , closed down the factory here and moved production to NZ was way back in March saying that it'd be back really soon and nothing since. 

Woolies own brand is available but that is a product of China and I refuse to buy foreign beetroot especially if imported by the supermarket that spruiks its support for Australian farmers.

I can sometimes get 3 threes which at least is Australian grown and canned but the supply is variable.

Its lockdown toilet paper all over again!

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/386860331851?itmmeta=01HXN52Q540NQD5TS9PSN9CYPX&hash=item5a12ac334b:g:iKIAAOSwqYRl9C44&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA0IQNTNPAuGlnHPnynLpayj8DwTHDC3mhsZYIYIrmUwGkkck%2BngK6gFzNZcacS%2BJPDXiSwghz3Y2DiNo35XYBwKku9mdvgpCmI%2F6%2FcthDCqzppTY3QYK4ODnuz7Xp%2F34dWtAXmPyM9huNuYOGEpFCIn9aoDGcsvNF6xKBTwGCWxh31OLIvn2td88hWb9KGr9rmUTlQB9NGc5GcA2yw5n6bsTghIY1Hn0A6N6avKgV%2B4%2BuFIx0jeTWjIiUlgaXpRCSqYDYIfl3kya5vaLh%2FzUssGU%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR87yiqXtYw

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

When is sliced beetroot coming back?!

The only word I can find from the vampiric US company that bought Golden Circle , closed down the factory here and moved production to NZ was way back in March saying that it'd be back really soon and nothing since. 

Woolies own brand is available but that is a product of China and I refuse to buy foreign beetroot especially if imported by the supermarket that spruiks its support for Australian farmers.

I can sometimes get 3 threes which at least is Australian grown and canned but the supply is variable.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/386860331851?itmmeta=01HXN52Q540NQD5TS9PSN9CYPX&hash=item5a12ac334b:g:iKIAAOSwqYRl9C44&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA0IQNTNPAuGlnHPnynLpayj8DwTHDC3mhsZYIYIrmUwGkkck%2BngK6gFzNZcacS%2BJPDXiSwghz3Y2DiNo35XYBwKku9mdvgpCmI%2F6%2FcthDCqzppTY3QYK4ODnuz7Xp%2F34dWtAXmPyM9huNuYOGEpFCIn9aoDGcsvNF6xKBTwGCWxh31OLIvn2td88hWb9KGr9rmUTlQB9NGc5GcA2yw5n6bsTghIY1Hn0A6N6avKgV%2B4%2BuFIx0jeTWjIiUlgaXpRCSqYDYIfl3kya5vaLh%2FzUssGU%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR87yiqXtYw

At the other place, that begins with C, I get "Three Threes Sweet Sliced Beetroot - Australian Grown in Western Australia" in in proper glass jars. Yes, it's not always in stock but I always keep a jar in reserve.

https://www.threethrees.com.au/beetroot/

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Someone paying AU$50 for a tin of beetroot would need their head examined.

Blame "free-market" capitalism.

I'm not sure what the effective alternative is.

It's pretty stunning how many brands are owned by Kraft-Heinz. You may not recognize them, but it's a good chunk of the supermarket in the US.

A local one is "Ore-Ida". They started on the Oregon-Idaho border and sell oven chips (mostly).

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

At the other place, that begins with C, I get "Three Threes Sweet Sliced Beetroot - Australian Grown in Western Australia" in in proper glass jars. Yes, it's not always in stock but I always keep a jar in reserve.

https://www.threethrees.com.au/beetroot/

My local Woolies had that back in stock this morning after about 3 weeks without so I bought up a few jars - it  is what made me ponder the current

beetroot situation.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Someone paying AU$50 for a tin of beetroot would need their head examined.

Blame "free-market" capitalism.

I'm not sure what the effective alternative is.

Theres no shortage of raw beetroot, so I guess I could always  pull out the Margaret Fulton and find out how to pickle my own! 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, monkeysarefun said:

Theres no shortage of raw beetroot, so I guess I could always  pull out the Margaret Fulton's and find out how to pickle my own! 

Don't know if Flavio posts on this thread, but he might encourage you. Actually it's not that difficult - just inconvenient. Much easier than home brewing beer.

Pickling (canning) is big here - there is a brand of glass jars (Mason) that exists solely to support it.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1