The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Does anyone remember Miss Marilyn's Super Flying Fun Show, a channel 9  kids morning show  from the early 1970's? It had Rod Hull who played some bloke called Caretaker Clot, from memory.  Maybe it was a Sydney only show.....

Yes, and all in black and white.

I watched it in Melbourne and I was always up early for the start.

The programme before it was always two "old blokes" talking the most boring stuff imaginable to a kid - probably politics.

"Watch out, watch out - there's a Humphry about!

Kev.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SHMD said:

Yes, and all in black and white.

I watched it in Melbourne and I was always up early for the start.

The programme before it was always two "old blokes" talking the most boring stuff imaginable to a kid - probably politics.

"Watch out, watch out - there's a Humphry about!

Kev.

That term comes from a 60's or 70's UK ad. I'm not sure what it was an ad for, milk perhaps?

I've found it, for Unigate.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, faulcon1 said:

Here's a show that ran from 1994 to 1997 with a cheeky puppet called Agro being cheeky to Ann-Maree.

Just as bad was Hey Hey It's Saturday show, which was quite insulting to some of the regulars, such as Jackie MacDonald and singer Kamahl, with John Blackman being amongst the ring leaders. Some of the crew (sound and vision guys) played ever increasing roles.

The show was popular in Melbourne (where many night shows were successful), but never really made it in Sydney. Melbourne and Sydney have always had different tastes.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

9 hours ago, kevinlms said:

The show was popular in Melbourne (where many night shows were successful), but never really made it in Sydney. Melbourne and Sydney have always had different tastes.

Actually it was big here. From memory it had started as a Saturday morning kids  show but the popularity of it among adults led to it going to the evening slot and the more adult-style stuff followed.

From memory, much of the humour on variety and panels shows of the time were based on mocking minorities and gays. Blankety Blanks springs to mind instantly. ("Cyril said....."!). 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

From memory, much of the humour on variety and panels shows of the time were based on mocking minorities and gays. Blankety Blanks springs to mind instantly.

Yes. Graham Chapman's assessment of Aussie homophobia was not far from the mark - University of Woolloomooloo Philosophy Department rules. (Mind you I don't think the UK was that different.) 

Hollywood Squares was similar to Blankety-Blanks* in terms of double-entendres but Paul Lynde was the centre square. (People may remember Paul Lynde from Bewitched where he played Uncle Arthur.) In his case the campy humour was self-deprecating.

* Originally in the US in 1975 and aired first in Australia in 1977. Blankety-Blanks was a repackaged version of Match Game (originally NBC-1962). There had been a rebooted version of Match Game on ABC (2016-2021) hosted by Alec Baldwin.  The run ended with Baldwin's "legal" troubles.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Yes. Graham Chapman's assessment of Aussie homophobia was not far from the mark - University of Woolloomooloo Philosophy Department rules. (Mind you I don't think the UK was that different.) 

Hollywood Squares was similar to Blankety-Blanks* in terms of double-entendres but Paul Lynde was the centre square. (People may remember Paul Lynde from Bewitched where he played Uncle Arthur.) In his case the campy humour was self-deprecating.

* Originally in the US in 1975 and aired first in Australia in 1977. Blankety-Blanks was a repackaged version of Match Game (originally NBC-1962). There had been a rebooted version of Match Game on ABC (2016-2021) hosted by Alec Baldwin.  The run ended with Baldwin's "legal" troubles.

To be fair, Graham Kennedy who hosted Blankety Blanks was gay, himself.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, SRman said:

Same thing with Paul Lynde. They would joke about it but (for the most part) were not 'out' at least in public.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SRman said:

It was an open secret in the industry but not widely known to the public until he died. He include some disguised hints in BB, if anyone remembers the "Cyril said" questions where he would put on a camp voice. Cyril was his middle name.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I thought Hey, Hey, It's Saturday was nationwide. It was on in Brisbane. Agro was on "Hey Hey" - though I don't remember if he was a regular appearing character - Ossie Ostrich was the first banana puppet.

Hey, Hey was nationwide, with varying degrees of success in other states.

Did a job once at John Blackman's house.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Here's another compilation and Ann Maree Biggar who is now 62 said that this show couldn't be done today because we were so politically incorrect in those times (thank heavens for that!) She also said that she could preempt what Jamie Dunn (the voice of Agro) was going to do and said if you can do that sort of thing then that's half the battle won.  Some people thought that Jamie was "feeling up" Ann Maree from his position under the table but Jamie said he only had to touch her ankle and she'd jump. 

To this day Jamie has Agro in the boot of his car and if people recognise him then he does photos with them and with Agro. After Ann Maree left the show it slid in the ratings chiefly because she and Jamie had such great chemistry working together. Although the show aired American cartoons, many of the jokes in this compilation are what Ann Maree called F1 or Formula One jokes in that they went straight over the kids head's but the adults got them.

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

21 minutes ago, faulcon1 said:

Here's a song that brings a lump to Australian's throats. Many feel it should be our national anthem.

When and where I grew up, everyone said that about Khe Sanh by Cold Chisel!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Any chance the fire ants can killoff some of the nasty snakes  ???

That's the problem, a lot of invasive pests have been brought in deliberately to 'solve' another problem and end up being worse than the original problem - although this isn't true of Fire Ants, they've sneaked in on containers, apparently.

I'd rather the snakes, because most of the worst, are safely up in Queensland!

The European Wasps are another nasty one, I was stung multiple times a few years ago and they are spreading too. Invasive too and their biggest problem, is that they can sting multiple times each, unlike natives and bees.

Edited by kevinlms
More info
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

3 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Any chance the fire ants can killoff some of the nasty snakes  ???

Theres no nasty snakes, they turn up in the wrong spot sometimes but they are nomadic and they'll usually just move on if you leave them alone. I've had maybe a dozen snakes in the backyard here - Eastern Browns, Red Belly Blacks and Tiger Snakes, and none of them have hung around for that  long.

I did have a Red Belly Black living in my bird aviary for a while, I'd just make sure I knew where it was every Saturday when I cleaned the aviary, it'd be under a rock or sunning itself. I had Quails in there but it never harmed them which was strange, I guess it was after mice.

It went away after a month or so.

Live and let live, we are blessed to have all the nutty wildlife that we have here - deadly and otherwise - , usually right in our faces.

image.png.2779c8c2232d56fbf88be20065a49bfa.png

image.png.3699bedf260b65bc1088787a6d2413e8.png

image.png.44f45beb59c0c69211f27f1f0baa09c2.png

image.png.8590c4e39ae02bd9dc1fe3a5add59779.png

image.png.a7fcaa2400803505f294879698538546.png

image.png.45397ffc3975ff841b0b1d407f45e248.png

PXL_20211017_030433129_MP.jpg.560b4d61ba928f10e3a62b12be7109ad.jpg

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The one of the spider, reminds me of a late friend.

If she saw one of those, she'd empty a whole can of spray on it, because she reckoned it was still moving - yes the blast of gas from the can, made it appear to move!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

The one of the spider, reminds me of a late friend.

If she saw one of those, she'd empty a whole can of spray on it, because she reckoned it was still moving - yes the blast of gas from the can, made it appear to move!

They look so huge on the wall, but once you catch them in a Chinese food container and release them  outside, they always seem suddenly so little and vulnerable as they run up the garden path, hoping they wont be grabbed by Butcherbirds and so on before they make it to the cover of the grevillea or whatever. 

I always feel guilty letting them loose in the big scary world, having them inside is always a fun game of  "I wonder where it is now" as it appears for 2 days above my telly then disappears, only to have me wondering where it'll turn up next - maybe the laundry, or on the ceiling above the toilet where I spot it at 2AM in the morning two days later. They definitely ARE natures pranksters.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Yes, we usually have a couple of Huntsmen, running around the interior walls.

Rather that, then when I go out the front door sometimes and get a mouth full of spider web!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

3 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Yes, we usually have a couple of Huntsmen, running around the interior walls.

Rather that, then when I go out the front door sometimes and get a mouth full of spider web!

That'll probably be the Orb Weavers!  I  usually cop  a face full of  them on summer bin nights. 

image.png.dea77ef84055f0882dcc080073ddab94.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 4