Fowler DM, GWR No. 1

• 1 month later...

High Level Fowler 70HP 0-4-0 DM

We’ve just taken delivery of etches for the latest High Level loco kit, the first full kit for a few years. Lost waxes are in the pipeline, so about three weeks from now would be realistic for delivery.

All castings are brass, as are the body etchings, with the chassis in slightly thicker, nickel silver.

The mechanism is unorthodox, with the jackshaft coupled to the rear wheels, and also gears driving the front wheels, so they can run without any crankpins to avoid clearance problems. The gear ratio is 108:1 for super-slow running, although 80, or even 60:1 can also be supplied on request.

The kit is priced at £110, which includes the gearbox. We can supply the 1020 motor and Alan Gibson Y9 wheels are needed to finish off the loco.

You can place your order, register your interest, or make enquiries at Scalefourum, where the model will be on display, or drop us a line at enquiries@highlevelkits.co.uk

post-16143-0-81349200-1505476847_thumb.jpg

post-16143-0-39909200-1505476861_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

I'll definitely have one of those. I need to build the Black Hawthorn that I bought last weekend first though.

Not sure that I understand the description of the mechanism - the jackshaft is geared to the front axle, so does that mean both axles are geared and both rods on each side are purely cosmetic? Or is the rear axle powered by the rods and only the jackshaft rod is cosmetic?

I'll definitely have one of those. I need to build the Black Hawthorn that I bought last weekend first though.

Not sure that I understand the description of the mechanism - the jackshaft is geared to the front axle, so does that mean both axles are geared and both rods on each side are purely cosmetic? Or is the rear axle powered by the rods and only the jackshaft rod is cosmetic?

The drive from the motor goes to the jackshaft, which is linked to, and drives, the rear wheels via the long outer conn rods. The front wheels take a separate drive from the gearbox, so they don't need to be coupled to anything else. This means you can do away with the front crankpin. The side rods are fastened to the back of the conn rods.

The reason for this is that the side rod runs close behind the conn rod, and there is virtually no room for a crankpin fastener, let alone a realistically achievable amount of sideplay. It also simplifies assembly.

post-16143-0-73079800-1505552910.jpg