Woolmer Green 1935-40

Jesse Sim

Started on laying track across the lift out section today, works perfectly fine, however nothing wired back up yet.

This is the fiddleyard entrance on the north end of the layout, which crosses the doorway. Still much more to do!

post-25906-0-31583100-1539521708_thumb.jpeg

Here’s an overall view!

post-25906-0-43783700-1539521744_thumb.jpeg

And a close up of where the rail has been cut to allow the drop section.

post-25906-0-18180800-1539521777_thumb.jpeg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Started on laying track across the lift out section today, works perfectly fine, however nothing wired back up yet.

This is the fiddleyard entrance on the north end of the layout, which crosses the doorway. Still much more to do!

attachicon.gif3C6B7E7C-B968-4BF4-B541-87665AA492A1.jpeg

Here’s an overall view!

attachicon.gif4CFF47CE-D3E7-422A-A075-38A80EECE767.jpeg

And a close up of where the rail has been cut to allow the drop section.

attachicon.gifF6271D10-7C45-4DE1-8E1B-32DBD47F070A.jpeg

Are you absolutely sure that the centre of the hinge pins is higher than the top of the rails?

Are you absolutely sure that the centre of the hinge pins is higher than the top of the rails?

If I think I know what you mean, then yes, it works John. I lift it up every time I lay a track to double check. I have some other hinges on order which I might use, so I’ll see when they arrive!

• RMweb Premium

If I think I know what you mean, then yes, it works John. I lift it up every time I lay a track to double check. I have some other hinges on order which I might use, so I’ll see when they arrive!

I think he means the other end where there is not track laid yet.

Yes, I mean the end where the hinges are, not the end where the tower bolts are. If the hinge pin centres are not higher than the rails you will get a horrible twisted mess the first time you lift the flap after laying track there.

Put some packing under the hinges would be my suggestion. 2 mm or 3 mm ply should be enough.

I would go for at least 6mm as this allows the flap to lift away from the rail head (as well as having ballast under the track results in the pivot needing to be above the head of the rail. however you may find the other end tries to bind against the meeting face as the arc has changed due to a change in Radius.... really need to do a drawing to explain! 

That's great that it is all working well. We discuss backing off doors to avoid this problem in our buildings all the time. usually due to the painter being overly generous with paint so they bind against the door stops. Any how they can be more fun when the painters take them off and forget to number them or paint over the marks so the carpenters who have to put them back on play match the door and frame! 

• Like 2

Morning, the hinge works fine, I every time I solder and then cut the rails I lift it up slowly and check. When its all the way over and sitting in the upright position the rails do not touch.

Have you laid track across the end with the hinges yet? It is that end that looks as if you could have problems. As others have pointed out, the hinges should be above rail level.

• 3 weeks later...

This afternoon consisted of getting the shelf done that sits above my work bench, my Dad and I knocked it up and perfect!

post-25906-0-86537400-1541064145_thumb.jpeg

The lines run underneath, this is the fiddleyard junction, as it goes into 4 lines in the scenic secion and it has to go back to two for the storage lines.

post-25906-0-48259200-1541064163_thumb.jpeg

Also just to clairfy, got an Up train running last week, runs perfect through the drop section.

post-25906-0-61199800-1541064188_thumb.jpeg

• Like 9

So I my must apologise for the not much activity going on, I have been feeling rather down in the dumps these past few weeks. I want to make it clear, that this isn’t a cry for attention, I have always been open about it. But yeah, I haven’t really been in the mood for anything, but today I cracked on!!!

I already had the down Nottingham line in with the point going over to the sidings 1 and 2, however I didn’t like the configuration so I decided to relay it. Here is the configuration about halfway done.

post-25906-0-58624500-1541499766_thumb.jpeg

You can clearly see the new crosover, which only leads to a catch/protective siding, to stop unwanted wagons rolling on to the main line.

The next photo is it completed, minus the extra sleepers with the chairs cut off and track painting and wire dropping. These 2 lines will not be used as much, so I purposely made them kink here and there as they will be ripped up by about BR comes in in 48. With the junction itself getting relayed in the late 50’s, (my own timeline for the layout). So, they will be covered with nothing but ash and a small amount of vegatation growing around it, not too much however.

post-25906-0-44929500-1541500043_thumb.jpeg

Looking from the road entrance down to the trackbed, you see the 2 sidings, with the new extension in the background. No hideous curve around to the fiddleyard, now a nice long sweep to my representation of Peasecliff Tunnel.

The siding on the left will have a small private coal merchant for the local town and houses around.

post-25906-0-96512800-1541500254_thumb.jpeg

I also laid another 2 point motors on the drop section for the down lines. I’ll finish them off tomorrow and post some pictures.

Also, the up lines in the fiddleyard are laid. WOOHOO, pictures tomorrow.

Jesse

• Like 13

Hi Jesse

Love the new trackwork. Do you have a track plan for the whole layout including the new section along with size of the whole layout?

Looking forward to seeing further progress. Glad your feeling better also, i know how you feel with being down but it is a great feeling when the modelling mojo returns, long may it continue. 

Hi Jesse

Love the new trackwork. Do you have a track plan for the whole layout including the new section along with size of the whole layout?

Looking forward to seeing further progress. Glad your feeling better also, i know how you feel with being down but it is a great feeling when the modelling mojo returns, long may it continue.

I do have a new track plan, however, only drawn on paper. I’ll post it later tonight.

Yeah it does feel good when you wake up and smell the cow in the air.

Alright so today consisted of Laying the down fiddleyard track....again, can’t recall how many time this is. Anyway, here we see the lines with the lift out section up. Only thing left to do are a few lines on the left and the 2 kick back sidings.

post-25906-0-34676500-1541580788_thumb.jpeg

Here it is closed, I thought the whole making sure the rails join up thingy would be a pain but surprisingly it wasn’t/isn’t. Copper plate glued to the baseboard, lay the track with the sleepers cut off, pin it down, then solder the track on both sides to the copper sheet and then cut the rail. Perfect!!!

post-25906-0-17891400-1541580977_thumb.jpeg

post-25906-0-66093500-1541581010_thumb.jpeg

As I laid the up lines, which have the trains running loco first towards the big drop off, I will be adding switches to cut power where the locos sit. This way, if my mates, who all know how to operate decide to move a train without my knowledge, with the lift out section up, it won’t run of the edge and smash into millions of pieces on the floor. Likewise with the single down line on the other side. I therefore will have another “control panel”, by that I mean just an A3 size, roughly the size of the lovely picture of my A4 Tony Wright took, with LEDS showing the route, so I know which line is dead and which is live.

post-25906-0-40996100-1541581043_thumb.jpeg

For those who were asking, here is my dodgy track plan.

Cheers Jesse

post-25906-0-28403100-1541581291_thumb.jpeg

• Like 11

Alright so cracking on, or procrastinating, not sure which it is yet.

Added in the extra curved scenic board, that curves and matches the curved back scene, (see trackplan above) and also fiddled with some timber and made the top section for where the tunnel starts. Once all the sides are added it will be very dark, making the illusion that trains don’t go into 4ft curve. Nothing is screwed down yet, still need to paint the track, then I can secure everything down.

post-25906-0-00702900-1542105498_thumb.jpeg

post-25906-0-81667800-1542105674_thumb.jpeg

post-25906-0-94991700-1542105700_thumb.jpeg

Also had Mitch around again, whilst he fitted and wired up the 3 point motors in the new scenic section, I continued in the fiddleyard laying track and played around with some configurations for be final couple of fiddleyard lines.

post-25906-0-31903300-1542105728_thumb.jpeg

post-25906-0-54644800-1542105806_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3