Woolmer Green 1935-40

Jesse Sim

• RMweb Gold

Looking good Jesse, can’t wait to see it for real.  Might be down your way again in the next couple of weeks so will let you know via FB if it works out.

cheers

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, trw1089 said:

Looking good Jesse, can’t wait to see it for real.  Might be down your way again in the next couple of weeks so will let you know via FB if it works out.

cheers

Tony

You coming to the Epping (Rosehill) show, Tony?

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

You coming to the Epping (Rosehill) show, Tony?

I’d like to John, one of the best shows in the country.  Am trying to convince wifey how much of a good idea it would be…

Cheers

Tony

Edited by trw1089
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 17/01/2022 at 11:12, LNERGE said:

I've got a colourlight here in 1931 that was to do with linespeed increase..

April 2008 004

Just been admiring the cost saving elegance of the design here.  I suspect ‘another railway’ wouldn’t have done all of it in the same way.  Called an auto distant because that’s exactly what it is - follows the arm of 18 - including if the arm sticks off it is irregularly pulled off by pway tools being laid on the inner distant’s signal wire!  Approach lit to save power (I think it might be operated by cells with no mains supply).  The resistors in the circuits are a clever way of saving line wires (copper was expensive even then) by running two circuits over one wire.

For Jonathan’s benefit, the phrase he is looking for is “that’s a lovely pair of pyrometers”.

On 17/01/2022 at 21:23, St Enodoc said:

Perhaps @5BarVT can help.

Not been on here for a very long time (as the date of the quotes shows).  What were you wanting to know?

Paul.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Just been admiring the cost saving elegance of the design here.  I suspect ‘another railway’ wouldn’t have done all of it in the same way.  Called an auto distant because that’s exactly what it is - follows the arm of 18 - including if the arm sticks off it is irregularly pulled off by pway tools being laid on the inner distant’s signal wire!  Approach lit to save power (I think it might be operated by cells with no mains supply).  The resistors in the circuits are a clever way of saving line wires (copper was expensive even then) by running two circuits over one wire.

For Jonathan’s benefit, the phrase he is looking for is “that’s a lovely pair of pyrometers”.

Not been on here for a very long time (as the date of the quotes shows).  What were you wanting to know?

Paul.

There is a certain innocence with the the control circuit. Judging by later circuits i have they soon found it needed a bit more. I include something direct from the controlling device via the arm to do anythin behind. I could direct you to a place that still has such simple circuitry. The signal was powered by accumulators trickle charged by dry cells. This is really early days of doing stuff in remote locations. This is the only circuit i have that includes a five position indicator.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
On 17/05/2022 at 04:49, Jesse Sim said:

Over the last year I’ve had alot of compliments on my weathering and detailing. Having visted two shows in the last few months here in Australia the compliments have doubled and a few people have asked if I weather professionally. 

So I’ve decided to create a weathering page so people can see the work I do and hopefully would like to have their stock modelled the same way. I’m hoping to offer a wide range of services including weathering locomotives and rolling stock. As well as repainting (rolling stock only), lettering and number changes, fitment of lamps, crews and small detailing parts. If the stars align I’m also hoping to offer detailing of wagons with loads similar to the photos below show. 

https://www.facebook.com/Weathering-by-Jesse-Sim-108423315206993/

Here is the Facebook page, there are no prices at the moment, but that will all come into play over the next few weeks. If you are interested in enhancing your stock please send me a message on the page and we can sort something out. 

I know some people do not have Facebook so I might make an RMWEB page. 

F3E16BFE-3672-4E54-862A-4E20AD6ADD44.jpeg

762EEEA5-D187-48C7-965B-FFD2F7D97F1A.jpeg

F671A0E3-427C-45F3-B8BC-E7AA8B24C7A2.jpeg

Looks very good.

I cant help with the wagons or the O2, but here are a couple of Dad's pre-war B&W pictures, as coincidental references:

- First, 4791 in early 1939 (?) at Peterborough North - on a frosty morning.

957740218_PeterboroughNorth003M.jpg.7808cbb84e804e111b7b3c8d4431d05d.jpg

Second we have what might be 2554 (???) northbound passing Walton (LMS) station - taken from by the level crossing gates - on a much warmer day. Not earlier than 1938, as that appears to be the year the camera was supplied.

675028751_WaltonCrossinglookingSouth110.jpg.b734910f2bc68d8fb6e00b387e4d2a73.jpg

Sorry, I can't get any better clarity of the scans - from 2 1/4" x 3 1/4" contact prints.

Regards

Chris H

Edited by Metropolitan H
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Metropolitan H said:

Looks very good.

I cant help with the wagons or the O2, but here are a couple of Dad's pre-war B&W pictures, as coincidental references:

- First, 4791 in early 1939 (?) at Peterborough North - on a frosty morning.

957740218_PeterboroughNorth003M.jpg.7808cbb84e804e111b7b3c8d4431d05d.jpg

Second we have what might be 2554 (???) northbound passing Walton (LMS) station - taken from by the level crossing gates - on a much warmer day. Not earlier than 1938, as that appears to be the year the camera was supplied.

675028751_WaltonCrossinglookingSouth110.jpg.b734910f2bc68d8fb6e00b387e4d2a73.jpg

Sorry, I can't get any better clarity of the scans - from 2 1/4" x 3 1/4" contact prints.

Regards

Chris H

Many thanks, they’re wonderful shots. 

Why is it stuff always goes wrong before you have people over? 

I’ve had derailments on a section of track that has never happened before, a point that’s always worked is now dead on one side, a short circuit at 7pm last night that I finally fixed at 9pm!! Oh and an O2 just decided to commit suicide by running off the lift off section and dropping 4ft to the floor cause some idiot left the power on after cleaning wheels (might have been my fault). 

Model Railways are fun, model railways are fun….

• Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

Why is it stuff always goes wrong before you have people over? 

I’ve had derailments on a section of track that has never happened before, a point that’s always worked is now dead on one side, a short circuit at 7pm last night that I finally fixed at 9pm!! Oh and an O2 just decided to commit suicide by running off the lift off section and dropping 4ft to the floor cause some idiot left the power on after cleaning wheels (might have been my fault). 

Model Railways are fun, model railways are fun….

Can't help with the first three, except to offer sympathy, but for the fourth it's worth installing microswitches that not only cut off the power to the lifting section but also to a yard or two of track either side (or, possibly, to the entire layout?).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Can't help with the first three, except to offer sympathy, but for the fourth it's worth installing microswitches that not only cut off the power to the lifting section but also to a yard or two of track either side (or, possibly, to the entire layout?).

Way ahead of you, I just forgot to turn them “on” 🤣

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Jesse Sim said:

Way ahead of you, I just forgot to turn them “on” 🤣

Hmm, it's best if they work automatically, turning the power on when the lifting section is in place and off when it isn't. Let's have a look on Saturday.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Hmm, it's best if they work automatically, turning the power on when the lifting section is in place and off when it isn't. Let's have a look on Saturday.

Nah nah I don’t need it automatically, I always just switch them on and off when need be. I just made a boo boo today. 

On 31/08/2022 at 20:19, St Enodoc said:

Exactly my point!

Agreed.

It wouldn't be difficult to fit a contact switch into the lift out section that turns on once the section is sunken home.

Or connect it to a brass pin that can be used to not only align the lift out section with the rest of the layout but also provide the connection for the dead sections either side

Having a break in the rails a good metre (or Yard in old money) from the cliff, would prevent anything over shooting off into the abis.

Needs to be 'Fail Safe', just like the real railways!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Excellent day running Woolmer Green with the BRMA, the layout ran beautifully. Not one hick up, the only c**k ups were from me, not switching the correct points or not switching points entirely. 

Really enjoyed the day and very happy with the outcome and praises of the layout and stock! 

2B79CBC4-27A2-4DBF-AA24-28334184F2F9.jpeg

• Like 18

A friend has a layout in a shed.  It is a continuous run with a lifting flap across the door and no contact switch protection.

Late one evening he was working at his bench with a loco running in on the layout.  Suddenly all the electrics went off.

In the gloom he lifted the flap, opened the door and went up to the house.  He discovered the trip had gone off so he re-set it.

On the way back to the shed he remembered the loco..........

Although it was a kit built white metal loco the only casualty was the front buffer beam.

I did give him a spare micro switch but he still hasn't fitted it !

Rodney

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• 1 month later...