Woolmer Green 1935-40

Jesse Sim

10 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Good. The diagram tells the story. It's worked as a crossover with the point leading from the Down Main to the Down Slow, so not a spring point after all. If you've got a spare motor I'd suggest you fit it.

Agreed!
Will definitely look better in photos and be closer to the actual operation of the box.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Definitely worked but you're confusing yourself by referring to it as a "catch point" - this is a trap point and worked as John says. It shouldn't be spaced away from the other half of the crossover as you have placed it either. Catch points are usually sprung (although they can have a lever to override them) and fitted on gradients to catch runaways going backwards.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

Catch points are usually sprung (although they can have a lever to override them) and fitted on gradients to catch runaways going backwards.

...like the one on the Down Main at the other end of the tunnel.

1 hour ago, Michael Edge said:

Definitely worked but you're confusing yourself by referring to it as a "catch point" - this is a trap point and worked as John says. It shouldn't be spaced away from the other half of the crossover as you have placed it either. Catch points are usually sprung (although they can have a lever to override them) and fitted on gradients to catch runaways going backwards.

When I wrote catch point I thought it was something else. 

What do you mean by the spacing? 

EDIT: I know what you mean now 

Edited by Jesse Sim

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

It does? :read:

Yes. Look at how the connection from the Down Main to the Down Slow is drawn. There are two points, each numbered 5, which means that they are both worked at the same time by the same lever in the signal box (lever 5, of course). The points are always drawn with the lever in the Normal position, namely pushed away from the signalman. When the lever is pulled, both points move together to the Reverse position, allowing trains to travel over the connection between the two Down lines.

If that doesn't make sense I'll explain it next time you are in Mid-Cornwall.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 20/12/2021 at 20:39, St Enodoc said:

If that doesn't make sense I'll explain it next time you are in Mid-Cornwall.

Is this the one John? 

if so, I shall reply in jest also….

ahem *cracks knuckles*

Give me all the dates for 2022 and I’ll be sure to make one of them. Once a year is enough for GW rubbish :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...

Another milestone reached today on the new layout. Track laying is finished and wiring is about 95% done, just two point motors in the fiddleyard to do and wire up the down slow. 

Heres an O4 on down empties snaking it’s way onto the slow line, whilst a C2 heads a short express south. 

CC241F0C-1B2C-4647-ADA3-93DC90C8FFEC.jpeg.5cb67d6eb17028a5e1b486d6fbcbde09.jpeg

Heres a nice open shot from the far corner, which will be an optional operating station when visitors arrive. 

67B944F9-A6AA-45E8-BABB-DA16E359649D.jpeg.a10dab764dc94b80b6e4cf4243f453c9.jpeg

Now it’s running everything I own to make sure the layout behaves itself. Whilst that takes place it will be building the bridge that acts as the scenic break at the northern end, finishing the viaduct and mapping out the embankments. 

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

20 minutes ago, LNERGE said:

Here's another diagram though i'm struggling to find any differences with the earlier one.. If you want a full size Copy or similar let me know. How about a few block occupancy detetctors and have a working diagram?

woolmer Green 1.JPG

Thanks mate, a full size copy actually wouldn’t be a bad shout. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jesse,

Have you made any modifications to the Peco bullhead turnouts?  I recommend that you test each of your loco’s over them several times...  they can short out where the tolerances between the frog and the opposite polarity blade rails are very fine, also sometimes where the frog check rails extend beyond the electrical break in the running rail.  

Problems are more likely with RTR flangeless trailing wheels on the curved track, and too tight back-to-backs, especially with longer wheelbase loco’s.

There are workarounds documented on the relevant thread in the Peco section of RMweb.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

19 minutes ago, Chamby said:

Hi Jesse,

Have you made any modifications to the Peco bullhead turnouts?  I recommend that you test each of your loco’s over them several times...  they can short out where the tolerances between the frog and the opposite polarity blade rails are very fine, also sometimes where the frog check rails extend beyond the electrical break in the running rail.  

Problems are more likely with RTR flangeless trailing wheels on the curved track, and too tight back-to-backs, especially with longer wheelbase loco’s.

There are workarounds documented on the relevant thread in the Peco section of RMweb.

Hi mate,

The only modulations is that I’ve slightly bent them into a curve, ever so slightly. I’ve also cut and shut two of them at the crossover to replicate the 45mm P/way. 

So far I’ve had no problems and I’ve ran trains over them a few times. Polarity isn’t an issue as I use cobalts with the frog wire connected to change polarity. 

• Like 1

After the catastrophic events of 1935 further south the signalling changed rapidly. I’ve been wondering when 18 became a four aspect colouright. Linespeed increases for the A4’s would have been well underway by your timeframe. In what form will you be modelling the up starting signal? 

I was out testing points much further north on the ECML last night at Huntingdon. Once I’m functional again I’ll get on with a copy of the diagram. 

2 hours ago, LNERGE said:

After the catastrophic events of 1935 further south the signalling changed rapidly. I’ve been wondering when 18 became a four aspect colouright. Linespeed increases for the A4’s would have been well underway by your timeframe. In what form will you be modelling the up starting signal? 

I was out testing points much further north on the ECML last night at Huntingdon. Once I’m functional again I’ll get on with a copy of the diagram. 

1 hour ago, LNERGE said:

I've got a colourlight here in 1931 that was to do with linespeed increase..

April 2008 004

You’d have to talk to my signalling master @LNER4479 as I haven’t the foggiest idea!! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

G’day all,

Thought I would share another project that’s on the go at the moment which will explain why Woolmer Green’s progress has slowed…

In June this year a few mates and myself are taking on Cape York. Cape York is the most northern part of mainland Australia, it’s going to take about three days of driving to get to Cairns, another 9 hour drive along a dirt road to get to the start of the Telegraph track and about 3 days of slow moving, low range four wheel driving to get to the top. So the project is, obviously my car…

AD3555E6-B784-4C14-8AB4-DF63530A51E1.jpeg.dc09892df455c5ba4b8c0f671b5ee3b8.jpeg

Still plenty to do, but I must apologise as this is really taking up most of my money and time as I need to live out of the car for roughly three weeks….

But I will be doing small bits and pieces on the layout but updates will be slow. 

As I said, a lot of hard driving and the rig needs to be in tip top condition. 

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1