I think I might be settling on a mix of red lead and black. Partly because I’ve started the glazing with black bars and partly because I think two-tone will look quite interesting. I know this probably is the least plausible colour scheme but i’m thinking black for the glazing and red for the casings and cabin below glazing and upper works. What do you think Compound?!

• Like 2

If you are not sick of hydraulic cranes by now, there are some good views here - 

https://www.scienceandsociety.co.uk/results.asp?W=4&F=0004&Step=1&screenwidth=1440

With a few others here -

https://www.scienceandsociety.co.uk/results.asp?search=1&screenwidth=1440&pixperpage=50&searchtxtkeys=warehouse+Crane&lastsearchtxtkeys=dock+Crane&withinresults=&searchphotographer=&wwwflag=&lstformats=&lstorients=All+Orientations&captions=

Another maker was East Ferry Road Engineering Works Ltd who were big suppliers to Millwall Docks.

The products of the various makers were almost identical in appearance.

Edited by Osgood
  • Like 1

If you are not sick of hydraulic cranes by now, there are some good views here - 

https://www.scienceandsociety.co.uk/results.asp?W=4&F=0004&Step=1&screenwidth=1440

With a few others here -

https://www.scienceandsociety.co.uk/results.asp?search=1&screenwidth=1440&pixperpage=50&searchtxtkeys=warehouse+Crane&lastsearchtxtkeys=dock+Crane&withinresults=&searchphotographer=&wwwflag=&lstformats=&lstorients=All+Orientations&captions=

Another maker was East Ferry Road Engineering Works Ltd who were big suppliers to Millwall Docks.

The products of the various makers were almost identical in appearance.

There are some very good views indeed. Not only of cranes but of the general environment of the time. I find this sort of thing quite fascinating. Thanks for posting Osgood.

• RMweb Premium

What do you think Compound?!

Seeing as you ask, on the basis of this photo my money is on the Avon Wharf cranes being all over red lead in 1898. But looking through the photos in Osgood's second link, it's clear that other schemes were in use - in this one - which seems to be LNWR - the plinths are clearly a lighter colour than the crane parts and the cabins, though the latter are mounted differently. In this one, which may be NLR, the cabin is painted signal-box style. So I'd say that since you are not exactly building Avon Wharf c. 1898, you've got a free hand!

• Informative/Useful 1

Seeing as you ask, on the basis of this photo my money is on the Avon Wharf cranes being all over red lead in 1898. But looking through the photos in Osgood's second link, it's clear that other schemes were in use - in this one - which seems to be LNWR - the plinths are clearly a lighter colour than the crane parts and the cabins, though the latter are mounted differently. In this one, which may be NLR, the cabin is painted signal-box style. So I'd say that since you are not exactly building Avon Wharf c. 1898, you've got a free hand!

Yep, free hand it is then.

I'm now approaching crane over-load...!!

• RMweb Gold

I finished this lamp yesterday. I’m quite pleased with it really.

Wow - erm, just wow ... <picks jaw up from the floor!>.  Am I allowed to ask how it was done .. or is that a trade secret :)

The standard of your modelling, never ceases to amaze, really well done.

Rich

Not at all! The base is s simple fabrication of brass tube and rod, the finial is a bit of ebony turned in the lathe. The lamp itself is a bit complicated to describe though, basically I drew the folded-out shape on autocad and transferred the print onto some clear plastic packaging (strawberry punnet to be exact!) with my favoured nail varnish method. Then cut it out, then laminated crystal clear tape over it, then scribed the folds, then folded it up and glued it to a plasticard top and bottom with pva. Easier to do than describe. I’ve got to make another for the corner of the office so I’ll take some photos next time. I’m thinking of marketing the artwork for the lamp as part of the Monk’s Gate Models range...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here’s the crane in its new ‘basic’ colours, before any weathering or toning down. I quite like the contrast between the black and red with a few details picked out like the cast number plate and handrail. Frank needs to look lively though or Mr Knight will have words. Although in close-up he doesn’t look too well.

post-31608-0-22925800-1536263007_thumb.jpeg

post-31608-0-07395800-1536263055_thumb.jpeg

post-31608-0-14773200-1536263087_thumb.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Superb. Is there actually any rail access to the crane?

No. That’s part of the make-believe ‘off-stage’ bit. The same make-believe that has the main line disappearing into the side of the warehouse!! It’s called Make It Up As You Go Along....

• Like 1

Superb. Is there actually any rail access to the crane?

Stephen, your observation has prompted me to have a flash of inspiration in the night! I’m going to put the remains of buffer stops of a siding that served the crane to the left of the crane, the rest of the track having been demolished along with the wall. Convinced...?!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think the siding is finished, maybe a bit of a tickle with a dry brush plus I think I have a couple of white metal workmen somewhere which may be pressed into service to lean on their shovels.

post-31608-0-93729400-1540362464_thumb.jpeg

• Like 18

My attention is turning to the right hand end, where the tracks disappear under the bridge by the wagon turntable. I’ve often considered this unfinished, and the opening too large as it doesn’t form enough of a scenic break. So the other day I was flicking through my Midland Records and came across a photo of Wicker Goods Warehouse in issue number 8. This shows a set of buffers hard up against the entrance to the warehouse. This gave me food for thought and so what I will do is make a large set of sliding doors, showing them slid back for access to the left hand siding; the right hand siding coming off the turntable at an angle will have the buffer stops on it and fixed doors immediately behind it set as far back in the opening as I can. Here’s a photo of the area in question, probably not very easy to describe but hopefully all will become clear...! Making it up as I go along - again!

post-31608-0-58005600-1540969466_thumb.jpeg

• Like 18