It actually is exactly Gauge 3, of which there are a surprising amount of LNWR items available due to Mike Williams making kits.

At the risk of starting a mathematical/technical argument, the fundamental dimension of Gauge 3 is a track gauge of 2.5". That is 1:22.6 - hence my 'approximately' jibe.

Dave

Here’s the progress on the crane, sorry about the dingy background! I’ve got the operator’s cabin to finish and then prime and paint, and also finish the chain with a weight ball and hook.

post-31608-0-74690900-1535398912_thumb.jpeg

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Splendid stuff as always Trickers.

I have to say, in terms of your depiction of Midland Railway subjects these are some of the very best.

Spot on.

Rob.

Splendid stuff as always Trickers.

I have to say, in terms of your depiction of Midland Railway subjects these are some of the very best.

Spot on.

Rob.

Thanks Roberto, I seem to spend hours pouring over old photos of my subjects so I suppose it pays off!!

Trickers

Great stuff! I want a 3D printer! I guess there’s info about it on your thread if I read back?

Thanks Richard!

Yes, more on 3D printing and the buildings I'm making if you go back a short way.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's much less messy to pore rather than pour over your photos!

Dave

PAW?

• RMweb Premium

I’m debating what colour the crane should be. Photos clearly show a very dark colour, possibly black although it doesn’t look it to me. Possibly Venetian Red?

If it's mostly metal, I think it would be a good guess that the first coat of paint would have been red lead. That might be the end of it. If it was a railway crane, the Midland would have painted it red - the same red that Engineers Department 3-plank wagons were painted. I'd put my money on that being red lead too. The cranes in the photo of Avon Wharf have cabins that I would interpret as being the same colour as the rest of the crane. The nearer crane at least looks as if it might run on rails parallel to the side dock. My first thought was that that puts the kybosh on it being an hydraulic crane of the type Osgood illustrated but on second thoughts, maybe its movement along the rails also hydraulically powered.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

If it's mostly metal, I think it would be a good guess that the first coat of paint would have been red lead. That might be the end of it. If it was a railway crane, the Midland would have painted it red - the same red that Engineers Department 3-plank wagons were painted. I'd put my money on that being red lead too. The cranes in the photo of Avon Wharf have cabins that I would interpret as being the same colour as the rest of the crane. The nearer crane at least looks as if it might run on rails parallel to the side dock. My first thought was that that puts the kybosh on it being an hydraulic crane of the type Osgood illustrated but on second thoughts, maybe its movement along the rails also hydraulically powered.

Thanks Compound - I had the same quandary about the crane on rails but just glossed over it for Bristol! I like your thinking on red lead; that sounds plausible. Perhaps looking (poring/pouring/pawing) again at the photo, the cabin and main crane body were maybe red and the upper works black?

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Compound - I had the same quandary about the crane on rails but just glossed over it for Bristol! I like your thinking on red lead; that sounds plausible. Perhaps looking (poring/pouring/pawing) again at the photo, the cabin and main crane body were maybe red and the upper works black?

I'm not convinced. One has to allow for differences in reflectivity due to angle and surface texture, remembering that the photographic emulsion is pretty much insensitive to red light.

I've updated the link in my previous post to go directly to the photo in question, which I think has anyway been posted earlier in this thread. Looking at another photo that's also been posted, I think one would say they're the same colour all over. That photo may have been taken with a more red-sensitive emulsion, though it looks like both are from a set taken on the same day. It might be a better print...

The counterweight at the top looks a different colour, but I would agree with Stephen on the crane being all over the same colour, whatever that may be.

Although, I doubt anyone would have the evidence to back up any claim of it being wrong whatever you choose. 

Hydraulic cranes were definitely made in mobile form, but pictures showing how they were connected are tantalisingly sparse. Not a flexible hose in sight!

This is the only one I can find - note the flexible connection via a set of rigid pipes and couplers!

I would guess the crane was pushed into required position to suit the docked ship, and the pipe then connected to the nearest available standpipe.

post-17823-0-64040200-1535553960_thumb.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1