Hi Richard,

Several posts ago a photograph of the dockside ( uncertain of its origins? ) showed some cranes operating.

Would you, or any of the followers of this excellent thread know of the manufacturer of the crane ( see below )  which I have edited to show the one in question.

attachicon.gifpost-32434-0-75934500-1504276600.jpg

It is of interest to me for various reasons and if and  GA drawings were available ? Long shot probably but I will ask.

Grahame

This crane bears remarkable similarities to some of those at the North London Railway's Poplar Docks.

So likely to have been worked by hydraulic power from an underground main supplied by a water pump and accumulator.

Tony

Yes, it does say 'Wet Paint', and is a lot clearer on the copy of the photo in Midland Record. I can't quite work out if they were on tracks (sort of visible I think in the photo heading off behind the crane). Mine won't be on tracks though as I haven't got room on the layout to do it justice. The lighter No 9 was indeed the inspiration for mine. Although if any more prototype info ever comes to light my version will no doubt suddenly look woefully inadequate...!

I’ve more or less finished the building site, will probably add some more rubble and ground texture but this will do for now. I’m now concentrating on the groundworks in the yard area to the right. Once this is done, all of a sudden I’ve turned a corner and it’s more or less finished apart from adding the little details that really make a model come to life. Happy days.

post-31608-0-63300100-1533456162_thumb.jpeg

post-31608-0-78248600-1533456209_thumb.jpeg

post-31608-0-08031500-1533456258_thumb.jpeg

post-31608-0-38996500-1533456296_thumb.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Thanks chaps, I hope it doesn’t disappoint. I’m slightly concerned about the weight of it though; it’s only 6’ long but weighs a ton! Some of the examples in the book look like they could be tucked under your arm! This is a two man lift just to get it on its legs. Plus operating potential is somewhat limited....!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks chaps, I hope it doesn’t disappoint. I’m slightly concerned about the weight of it though; it’s only 6’ long but weighs a ton! Some of the examples in the book look like they could be tucked under your arm! This is a two man lift just to get it on its legs. Plus operating potential is somewhat limited....!

Given the detail that you have gone into with it, the amazing view's you have kindly provided to those of us on rmWeb, how on earth could it disappoint!!  Its one of those layouts where nothing needs to move for the audience to be awestruck!  Superb modelling well done :)

It gives us minor modellers something to aspire to!  Not that im going to get that good, but one can hope!

Rich

Those of you who thought I was bonkers to attempt a water tank with a thousand minuscule bits of plasticard triangles stuck on it were quite correct. It was bonkers. Back to the drawing board....and this is as far as it got! And is probably as far as it will go...!

post-31608-0-27183600-1533847413_thumb.jpeg

Still, I think the wall and support structure makes quite an interesting construction in its own right.

• Like 13

I don't know how much you have been able to glean about these water hydraulic cranes, but just uncovered a couple of pictures showing better the hoist mechanism hidden in the vertical post.

Henry J Coles established a crane business in London in 1878 - the only other maker of similar cranes I've come across is Armstrong Whitworth, who supplied similar and larger cranes to the South Wales docks.

post-17823-0-64659400-1534580298_thumb.jpgpost-17823-0-01993300-1534580319_thumb.jpgpost-17823-0-62857500-1534580338_thumb.jpgpost-17823-0-90785800-1534580351_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

You're welcome.

Sorry it took so long - I'd tried a few times but couldn't latch on to much of substance, then saw your mock-up and tried a couple of different search words this morning and bingo!

Tony

Edited by Osgood

Some small progress today - the blanks have been clad in plastikard, ready for the addition of bolt details. The left hand blank is the base for the operator’s cabin which will have a glazed top half. Finer details on the yard are progressing nicely, more pics to follow...

However, I must confess I have become slightly distracted with a competition started by the LNWR boys, making a 1:24 signal cabin, cut away to show the fully detailed interior. Yes...bonkers but happy...!

post-31608-0-90111300-1534710330_thumb.jpeg

• Like 16