Thank you all for your kind words. If I can show what can be achieved in 6’ then I’ve done what I set out to do with this competition.

I cant remember now who I might have told but Monks Gate will be ‘split’ into two cameos and maybe even Bristol tacked onto one end so 3 in a row (unless I sell it...!). I sort of outlined this on the Birmingham/London thread and I’m looking forward to getting on with it. 

Simon Castens was also doing a great job in twisting my arm to have a dabble with Gauge 1. I think a chap from BRM also popped up at one point so really all in all a successful weekend. 

Today i will mostly be....

....gardening!!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Tricky said:

I cant remember now who I might have told but Monks Gate will be ‘split’ into two cameos 

You certainly mentioned it to me, just as it was dawning on me how understated yet convincing the small glimpse of the actually railway is. I've been messing about with stock for 30 odd years but I've still never started a layout as all my ideas are a series of little snap shots, invariably as deep as they are long, which I've never worked out how to link up. Just running a series of cameos together would work for me as well! 

10 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

You certainly mentioned it to me, just as it was dawning on me how understated yet convincing the small glimpse of the actually railway is. I've been messing about with stock for 30 odd years but I've still never started a layout as all my ideas are a series of little snap shots, invariably as deep as they are long, which I've never worked out how to link up. Just running a series of cameos together would work for me as well! 

Quite a few of Ricey's designs propose a series of separated, but connected scenes. This one is on three levels, but could easily be adapted for use in the horizontal plane.  Ideal for all those Minerva and Ixion industrial locos and the Agenoria kits, which I am delighted to see are back in production.

Regards,

Charles

Virtua in Industria by Iain Rice.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich, I hope you're recovering after the rigours of the show, my knees were definitely a bit creaky for a couple of days!

As you know "Midland in Bristol" got, and still has my vote as "Best Layout" a fabulous piece of modelling!

Looking forward to seeing how you combine it with "Monks Gate"

Best wishes

Dave

DSC_2435a.jpg.1d823bd3dc8cce68fc3cbf45884d4173.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks Dave! The best (and most reliable) won so that’s only right and proper! Good job we had the bank holiday to draw breath. Yes, plans are indeed afoot to carry out some major surgery...in between cracking on with commissions.

Great photo, was that taken at the exhibish? ...I see my malfunctioning tender loco lurking shame-faced in the background...

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tricky said:

Great photo, was that taken at the exhibish? ...I see my malfunctioning tender loco lurking shame-faced in the background...

Yes it was taken with my phone at the show. I  liked the picture because it showed more or less the whole vista:-)  I hope no. 1761is off the naughty step and behaving again!

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, wagonman said:

Ooops. I’ve just noticed your lovely model of a GWR 4-plank open wagon... unfortunately they were rated to carry 10 tons, not 8. Sorry!

... as in all the reference photos. The explanation must be that this wagon has been specially downrated so as to not overpower all those 8 ton Midland wagons.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

It made a brief ‘cameo’ appearance over on Sherton Abbas. You can just see the right hand end of it in one of Regularity’s shots on Wenlock’s blog. It felt very at home for a short while...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Northroader said:

Depends on the axleboxes, the old grease type like in the picture were rated at 8 tons, the later split type oil boxes were 10 tons.

Unfortunately not so:

1678923228_AtkinsetalGWRGoodsWagonsp276capacity.jpg.29dba25fa1a63488a95d20f634a4958b.jpg

Apologies for not spotting this last week.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

18 hours ago, Northroader said:

Depends on the axleboxes, the old grease type like in the picture were rated at 8 tons, the later split type oil boxes were 10 tons.

I disagree – it depends on the journal size, not the lubricant. A few of the older 3 plank wagons were uprated from 8 to 10 tons when they received oil boxes, but the 4 plank wagons were always 10 tons and I could show you plenty of photos (at risk of infringing someone's copyright).

Edit: Ooops. I see Stephen has beaten me to it!

Edited by wagonman
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, wagonman said:

I disagree – it depends on the journal size, not the lubricant. A few of the older 3 plank wagons were uprated from 8 to 10 tons when they received oil boxes, but the 4 plank wagons were always 10 tons and I could show you plenty of photos (at risk of infringing someone's copyright).

Edit: Ooops. I see Stephen has beaten me to it!

... at infringing copyright, possibly. I've edited my post so that the scanned image shows only those features relevant to the discussion, stressing that I post purely for the purposes of research. Richard has had privately from Mikkel and myself a number of images covering both pre- and post-1904 livery and condition.

• Like 1

Sorry to say to you all, but changing an 8 to a 10 isn't top of my to do list....however it will get done. Still hoping the missing sprung axlebox will turn up for the grey one.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just to update you all, Bristol is now sold. I shall be sorry to see it go, as I have grown rather attached to it. However, the new owner will want to extend it with another add-on cameo to increase its operational capacity. As you know, this was going to be my plan if I kept hold of it. It may well happen that said new owner will enlist my help, in which case I will still get to see it and work on it which will be a fascinating new chapter for it and me!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Tricky said:

Just to update you all, Bristol is now sold. I shall be sorry to see it go, as I have grown rather attached to it.

I hope its gone to a good home and the new owner doesn't try to " improve" it in any way!  

22 hours ago, Tricky said:

It may well happen that said new owner will enlist my help, in which case I will still get to see it and work on it which will be a fascinating new chapter for it and me!

That would in my opinion be an excellent idea and ensure that the new extension is of an equal standard:)

• Agree 1

A significant ‘improvement’ for Bristol could be to get a loco that actually moves...!!!

On this score, two-rail wiring is in progress. As I think we discussed at Ralex Dave, radio control I think is the future but the technology hasn’t quite caught up with our requirements yet. Or maybe just my sketchy technical ability hasn’t caught up....

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich

There is a radio system available for DCC - instead of two wires taking the DCC commands from the command station to the track, it takes it to a transmitter.  Each loco is then fitted with a standard DCC (motor and/or sound) decoder but instead of picking up from the track, it merges the output from a small radio received and the onboard battery.  Have seen it in operation and it works very well.  Saves a lot of wiring runs, and a receiver can also be wired as an input to accessories if you wish, rather than the DCC circuit.  Also works with ANY DCC command station!  Might be an option if you want to look down that route again?

Rich

• Thanks 1

On 19/06/2019 at 11:20, Tricky said:

A significant ‘improvement’ for Bristol could be to get a loco that actually moves...!!!

On this score, two-rail wiring is in progress. As I think we discussed at Ralex Dave, radio control I think is the future but the technology hasn’t quite caught up with our requirements yet. Or maybe just my sketchy technical ability hasn’t caught up....

I'm attracted to the benefits of radio control with battery power and would be interested to read a bit more about your experience, if you can spare the time please.

• Like 1