Op tomorrow to remove offending leaking gall bladder. Personally I have nothing but praise for dear old NHS but I just want to go home now. Really appreciated all your kind thoughts and good wishes.

Thanks, Richard

• RMweb Gold

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Richard.

Perhaps a trip to the Isle of Man?

Rob.

post-14122-0-82157300-1509836866.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Well here's a 1910 3.5hp Triumph........perhaps a scratch building project?

post-14122-0-92688700-1509867263.jpg

• Like 2

Op tomorrow to remove offending leaking gall bladder. Personally I have nothing but praise for dear old NHS but I just want to go home now. Really appreciated all your kind thoughts and good wishes.

Thanks, Richard

Hope it all goes well and a speedy recovery!

Regards, Deano.

Well here's a 1910 3.5hp Triumph........perhaps a scratch building project?

What's that weird thing between the wheels??! Would actually make a great period piece though

Came out of theatre at 5. Had some soup and ice cream, huge improvement, in till Tuesday probs.

R

Guest Midland Mole

What's that weird thing between the wheels??! Would actually make a great period piece though

Came out of theatre at 5. Had some soup and ice cream, huge improvement, in till Tuesday probs.

R

Glad to hear all went well and you should be out soon. :)

Alex

• RMweb Gold

R

A little bit late in offering thoughts of get well soon - but get well soon!  Tend to stay quiet, but really enjoy following your pre-Grouping activities, and we need you back at the model bench to continue!  Should you need longer to recuperate, things will get worse at my end and, I'm going to have to start reading and watching more GWR Jinty tanks pottering around Talylllyn!! Still at least I now know why Steve Jobs invented the iPad, so I can watch the goings on at Talyllyn Junction in comfort while having a cup of tea in bed last thing at night!!

Get well soon, glad to hear the operation went well.  Lot of people sending positive thoughts from rmWeb I'm sure!

Rich

• RMweb Gold

R

Glad to hear you are on the mend, Richard.

The weird jobbie is the engine. Lots of sticky out bits.

One thing that is missing in the model railway world is accurate models of motorcycles of all eras.

Rob.

A little bit late in offering thoughts of get well soon - but get well soon!  Tend to stay quiet, but really enjoy following your pre-Grouping activities, and we need you back at the model bench to continue!  Should you need longer to recuperate, things will get worse at my end and, I'm going to have to start reading and watching more GWR Jinty tanks pottering around Talylllyn!! Still at least I now know why Steve Jobs invented the iPad, so I can watch the goings on at Talyllyn Junction in comfort while having a cup of tea in bed last thing at night!!

Get well soon, glad to hear the operation went well.  Lot of people sending positive thoughts from rmWeb I'm sure!

Rich

Hi Rich,

That's very kind of you. Doing good, will be in hospital probs till around the end of the week. Will look forward to getting home and resuming some 'therapy'!

Richard

Was discharged from hospital today and safely ensconced back at home. I have nothing but admiration for the doctors and staff of Tunbridge Wells Hospital but it's still nice to be home. It's only now I'm feeling better that I realise I wasn't very well for quite a time (Spike Milligan and Winchelsea comes to mind).

A gentle week next week I think recuperating and pottering in the train shed when my nurse allows it (she actually was one!)....but thanks again for all your prayers/encouragement/positive thoughts! Unbelievably generous of you all.

Moving on, although you may remember I started some blogs a few months ago, I think what I will do is keep the 'London' and 'Bristol' threads going but start a new general workbench thread, having been inspired recently by the likes of Jinty's thread and others. I think that will be easier for my tiny brain to cope with. Plus I feel more in the mood to tackle some outstanding jobs currently on the workbench now such as the Midland 3-plank with working dropside and the water tower for Monk's Gate that some of you may remember I started a few months ago and has languished in dust ever since.

Ever onward...

Managed to make some progress today and finished the barge or 'lighter' as they were known. Quite a bit of modeller's licence went into it as I have no drawings or definite indications of colouring. My Main source of information has been from the Midland Record series. One thing I'm reasonably certain of is that it is on the small side compared to the prototype but this is intentional and I think once it's in its setting will look fine.

All completely scratchbuilt mostly from wood, when the barge is 'planted' in the canal the central loading bay floor will get painted to blend with the rest of the barge and I will probably add a partial load of sacks and barrels.

post-31608-0-40964200-1510605671_thumb.jpg

post-31608-0-39868500-1510605708_thumb.jpg

post-31608-0-73508900-1510605739_thumb.jpg

post-31608-0-79464400-1510605775_thumb.jpg

post-31608-0-69267700-1510605799_thumb.jpg

post-31608-0-59734100-1510605831_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tricky
  • Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Tremendous stuff, Richard.

The barge has a wonderful patina to it not oft seen but I have to say the lettering on the bow in particular is an absolute triumph.

This is modelling taken to an art form. Splendid.

Rob.

Thanks for all your positive comments. It is healing balm in itself! Feel like I turned a corner yesterday being able to get back in the workshop. Aim to do a bit more today and hopefully post later.

Richard

Productive couple of days, the warehouse shell is more or less complete, apart from the roof. One, I'm not sure what it was made of and two, it can't really be applied until the building is fitted as the roofing needs to finish tight to the backscene.

post-31608-0-67330700-1510780633_thumb.jpg

Also, Wenlock will be pleased to see that I at last managed to re-solder the crossing vees to O-MF gaps! I made my own jigs from scraps of mdf and ply, with a 1.5mm slip gauge, plus the odd Mark 1 eyeball to check everything is as it should be. Tomorrow, I will add power feed droppers to them before tacking them in place and adding the stock rails. As you can see the templates have been chopped up and tweaked in position as neither turnout is straight. Hopefully it will all line up and flow beautifully...!

post-31608-0-46560500-1510781060_thumb.jpg

The plain sections of track coming off them have been fixed at the right hand end and then will be allinged with the crossings once they're in the right place.

• Like 13

Some progress made over the past couple of days on the trackwork. The two turnouts are built using C&L parts, but the templates were hacked about a bit to get them to fit as neither are actually straight; both are Y turnouts of sorts. So laying them in situ was the only way to go and definitely not following conventional practice, more trial and error. But if when siting down the turnout it looks right and flows nicely then it's ok. Hopefully more photos of both turnouts when they're finished. In the meantime, I hade to divert slightly off track laying to build the wagon turntable as I needed to ensure that the turnout and road feeding it lined up with the centre of it.

This first photo shows the base of the turntable which was turned up from a bit of 9mm MDF, with a drill guide bush in the centre.

post-31608-0-92912000-1511012905_thumb.jpg

The turntable itself is 18mm MDF which I turned most of the bottom face away just leaving a centre boss and outside lip as bearing surfaces. I imagine a bit of Vaseline or something will give smooth running. A drill which matches the guide bushes was used as a pivot.

post-31608-0-81018100-1511013086_thumb.jpg

post-31608-0-44243000-1511013121_thumb.jpg

Just got to figure out how to attach some sort of gears and motor to the pivot to give slow turning. Haven't got a scooby as to how I do that....!

post-31608-0-44554700-1511013224_thumb.jpg

Apologies, also haven't got a scooby as to how I rotate photos on an iPhone...!

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I have to say I am reconsidering my cameo entry based on a S&DJR location. Sheep Wharf may well move to Bristol.

All down to this lovely thread.

Rob.

• Like 1