Some progress today, albeit slow....the wagon turntable is sort of finished, just need to work out some form of electrical gizmo to make it work.

post-31608-0-62853900-1511196011_thumb.jpg

Also, two crossings made for the converging roads, temporarily positioned. Now that these are done, the remaining track can be laid.

post-31608-0-72167400-1511196136_thumb.jpg

post-31608-0-46636200-1511196169_thumb.jpg

All of this little lot was unbelievably fiddly to get it all to line up but very satisfying now it's done. The final track laying up to the crossings is now the easy bit.

• Like 11

Why go for something electrical when mechanical will work just as well and wont go down in the middle of a show. Could I recommend a stick with a cam on the end. I use one to open gates on our "Scratchy Bottom" layout it never fails.

Marc 

• RMweb Gold

Some progress today, albeit slow....the wagon turntable is sort of finished, just need to work out some form of electrical gizmo to make it work.

attachicon.gifIMG_5162.JPG

Also, two crossings made for the converging roads, temporarily positioned. Now that these are done, the remaining track can be laid.

attachicon.gifIMG_5163.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5164.JPG

All of this little lot was unbelievably fiddly to get it all to line up but very satisfying now it's done. The final track laying up to the crossings is now the easy bit.

Fiddly but well worth the effort! Excellent progress and well done on tightening up those crossing vees:-) I meant to say well done on the boat earlier, a quite splendid bit of modelling!

Best wishes

Dave

• Like 2

Why go for something electrical when mechanical will work just as well and wont go down in the middle of a show. Could I recommend a stick with a cam on the end. I use one to open gates on our "Scratchy Bottom" layout it never fails.

Marc

Yep, both options worth pursuing, any idea where I could get some form of gearing from? I'm replacing the drill bit pivot with a length of 5.5mm silver steel round bar. Would be nice to get a super-slow action....

Marc 

Any chance you could elaborate on this...maybe a photo?

Cheers, Richard

I will see if I have a photo if not I will get one.

But in the mean time. I cut a egg shaped cam it has a hole drilled in the small end and has the wire from the gate to the fat end. The is a shackle, from a blue manual point motor, is put through the hole and a rod attached to the shackle.

Marc 

The trackwork is finished - sort of. Amazing how long such a small amount of track took to lay. I guess because none of it is straightforward off the standard templates. I've got the tie bars, turnout operation and wiring to sort before it can be properly tested. At the moment a wagon pushed through is very smooth through the crossings with no wheel drop at all which is very satisfying. One or two of the transitional curves aren't quite as smooth as I would have liked but I'm sure prototype dock-side track wasn't exactly mainline standard, so I'm actually 'faithfully following prototype practice'. Ha!

post-31608-0-53730000-1511717860_thumb.jpg

post-31608-0-61672300-1511717919_thumb.jpg

post-31608-0-33462200-1511717966_thumb.jpg

By the way, all the messy weird timbering around the wagon turntable will get covered up!

• Like 10

Looking good,especially the pic`s looking down through the wagon turntable.

Just a shame you won`t get to see that vantage point when the layout is populated with buildings and boats!.

Cheers,

Brian.

Finally got round to making a start on the proscenium arch, temporarily positioned in this pic. Interesting discussion over on the Cameo competition thread about viewing the layout at somewhere around 54". This is, of course, nowhere near this height at the moment as I've got no means at present of jacking it up that high. Crouching down to simulate such a view looks ok though! I suppose I really ought to build some legs next so that proper viewing height can be assessed.

post-31608-0-44281600-1512332022_thumb.jpg

Also need to rig the proper lights up as well...! Lots to do!!

• Like 19

Thinking about it overnight, I have a feeling the top profile whilst nicely curved in two planes is a bit mimsy and worse still I suspect you will be able to see the top edge of the sky. A definite no-no...!

Thinking about it overnight, I have a feeling the top profile whilst nicely curved in two planes is a bit mimsy and worse still I suspect you will be able to see the top edge of the sky. A definite no-no...!

I wondered about that when I saw the photos. Surely you need more depth to hide the lighting. Have you tried lights yet? A suggestion in the book is to have the lighting set a few inches in front of the baseboard, so you don't get a poorly lit area along the front.

Not having a dig at you, or anyone else, but I wonder how many people have really read and absorbed the book before starting their layout. To me, a lot of the entries appear to be conventional layouts, where "Cameo" features are being added later. I'm trying to design mine starting with the eye level baseboard, proscenium arch and all the other relevant features, and then seeing how my vision for the layout can be created inside that. Of course my layout hasn't been started yet, while other people are well advanced with theirs, so maybe it's me doing it wrong :).

I wondered about that when I saw the photos. Surely you need more depth to hide the lighting. Have you tried lights yet? A suggestion in the book is to have the lighting set a few inches in front of the baseboard, so you don't get a poorly lit area along the front.

Not having a dig at you, or anyone else, but I wonder how many people have really read and absorbed the book before starting their layout. To me, a lot of the entries appear to be conventional layouts, where "Cameo" features are being added later. I'm trying to design mine starting with the eye level baseboard, proscenium arch and all the other relevant features, and then seeing how my vision for the layout can be created inside that. Of course my layout hasn't been started yet, while other people are well advanced with theirs, so maybe it's me doing it wrong :).

Yep, totally go along with you on that one....I have fallen into the trap of making assumptions and then reading the book after the event and realising I've made one or two wrong assumptions! Will be posting shortly over on the Cameo thread with my findings!

With wonderful hindsight, I would say your approach is the correct one.

Yep, totally go along with you on that one....I have fallen into the trap of making assumptions and then reading the book after the event and realising I've made one or two wrong assumptions! Will be posting shortly over on the Cameo thread with my findings!

With wonderful hindsight, I would say your approach is the correct one.

Many years ago, I worked for the UK subsidiary of an American company. The new President of the US company sent a memo to every company in the group, setting out in detail a new report he wanted produced. I got a letter from him congratulating me on being the only person who got it right :).

Tonight I have managed to rig the layout up to something approaching 'proper' height, within 3/4" anyway. It is very high! Also my mimsy light pelmet has been considerably beefed up. I am embarrassed to admit I had somehow made bonkers assumptions. Let this be a lesson to me! Anyway, it's all salvageable and now it's at this height I have had a lightbulb moment and really begun to grasp the Cameo philosophy...crack on!!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I am hoping to get mine up to its proper height this week end, with the Memsahibs agreement and assistance.....Ahem.

• Like 1

I am hoping to get mine up to its proper height this week end, with the Memsahibs agreement and assistance.....Ahem.

I need more than a Memsahib to help with mine: I need a body-builder. Getting rather concerned about the weight issue...!

• 2 weeks later...

I need more than a Memsahib to help with mine: I need a body-builder. Getting rather concerned about the weight issue...!

That'll be partly all that MDF - it's fearsomely heavy stuff.

I'm very much enjoying this thread. As a long time lurker, I do enjoy threads that concentrate on modelling and not arrangements to meet up! I everything is the same quality as the lighter it's going to look fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

Crispin

Thanks Crispin, I too was a long-time lurker but I'm glad you've decided to join in.

Actually there's not a lot of MDF; only the building mock-ups. The vast majority of construction has been in 6mm birch ply. But I suppose just lots of it! I've been busy working on the external arch, wings and support structure and will be posting some photos soon.

• RMweb Gold

The New Improved Proscenteum Provided Lighting Equipment Support {N.I.P.P.L.E.S}has proved heavier than expected on Mutton. That is built from MDF and should be a joy to transport as it also holds the fiddle yards for transport....ho hum....never said it was easy.

As an aside Trickers, my old Cabinet, don't try to adjust the height when the layout is on the trestles........I know this.....

Rob.

Edited by nhy581

The New Improved Proscenteum Provided Lighting Equipment Support {N.I.P.P.L.E.S}has proved heavier than expected on Mutton. That is built from MDF and should be a joy to transport as it also holds the fiddle yards for transport....ho hum....never said it was easy.

As an aside Trickers, my old Cabinet, don't try to adjust the height when the layout is on the trestles........I know this.....

Rob.

Been there already old boy. Trying to hold one end of the darn thing on one trestle, standing on one leg while trying to pick up the other with the other leg. Dicey moments....

We built our "Scratchy Bottom/Lowick" layout in 3ft and 4ft sections. One 4ft section has 2 legs and that goes up first. The process is lay the sections on its rear face/side, bolt the legs on the stand it up. then repeat for each of the other sections, which only have one leg. This means that I can assemble the whole layout on my own. The trick is keeping the unit weight down.

Marc

Believe it or not, I have been busy finishing off the arch and painting it, along with the support legs etc etc and will be posting pics soon.

Meanwhile may I take this opportunity to wish you all a Merry Christmas and a happy and peaceful New Year.

Richard

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Merry Christmas, Richard, my old bauble.

Splendid stuff. Wishing you a happy and healthy New Year.

Rob.

post-14122-0-53230500-1513843681_thumb.jpg

• Like 8