Right, here's an update of what I've been up to for the last few weeks...

The fascia and arch are finished, these pics are of it on temporary trestles, it's a faff to get it rigged up on its proper legs which I also built, from panelled bed-heads. I've still to do the lighting and so it's a bit dim at the moment.

post-31608-0-06943500-1514482069_thumb.jpg

The three black knobs on the front are to operate the two turnouts and the turntable. All are mechanical rather than electrical. The turnout knobs are fixed to lengths of M4 studding which are bolted to ply and maple sliders. Polarity switching is by a wire also fixed to the studding which slides across a piece of gapped PCB. The turntable ended up being rebuilt as it wasn't completely round. In the process I lost the centre point of the original turntable which in turn meant the tracks leading to the turntable having to be relaid. Ho hum...!

post-31608-0-95837100-1514482483_thumb.jpg

post-31608-0-76718800-1514482548_thumb.jpg

post-31608-0-70789800-1514482712_thumb.jpg

Work continues on the traverser and electrics. I think some of the trackwork is actually quite tortuous so it will be interesting to see if my half cab manages to negotiate it...!

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Oh my word. That does look good........but no less than expected from such a craftsman.

Top drawer.

Rob.

Richard,

That is a rather impressive facia!! I can't wait to see the finished layout through it! Shall I have a word with Adrian about getting it in at Uckfield?!

Gary

As in 2018? That would be my first ever exhibition! If it's ready in time...

• RMweb Gold

As in 2018? That would be my first ever exhibition! If it's ready in time...

I imagine 2018 may well be fully stocked with layouts already! Adrian likes to get these things done early. I can ask the question if you think you can make it, otherwise I can give you a bit of extra time and nudge him for 2019.

Gary

I imagine 2018 may well be fully stocked with layouts already! Adrian likes to get these things done early. I can ask the question if you think you can make it, otherwise I can give you a bit of extra time and nudge him for 2019.

Gary

If 2018 is a possibility I'll definitely get it ready. It's only little!!

• Like 1

I'm not sure how I've missed this before. What I particularly like about those photos of the Midland's Avon Wharf is just how tightly packed it is with D299 opens, apart from just one which is in S&DJR livery.

Yes, and guess how many D299s I currently own...?!

• Like 1

I'm trying an experiment with glazing bars...to the left of the warehouse there will be a covered staircase. My thoughts are to build the screen from CD case material onto which is painted the glazing bars with a bow pen. The wooden framing and panelling is then built up over this base layer. I have done windows before with thin microstrip but it's a fiddle and sometimes a bit variable.

post-31608-0-18367700-1515074232_thumb.jpg

Here the bars have been painted onto the clear CD case material using a drawing as a guide.

post-31608-0-85652200-1515074342_thumb.jpg

And here I have cut out the top layer by transferring a copy of the drawing (printed in reverse) onto the plasticard using nail varnish remover. I've yet to cut the middle layer which will show the planking and then laminate it all together. If it works...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

As ever this is just wonderful Richard!

The detail on that Goods Warehouse is fantastic!  Where are you drawing your inspiration from?  Particular buildings or books?

Im awestruck!

Rich

Avon Wharf, Bristol.

How did you do the lettering?

Yep, that’s the one!

Lettering was done by choosing a font in Autocad close to the prototype, printing in reverse on a laser jet and then transferring a faint outline onto the model using the nail varnish remover method (see Midland in London). The actual painting was done by going over the lines with a bow pen and very small brush. I’ve guessed at the colours...

• RMweb Gold

Very nice Richard,

Been and had a quick search around on the web to find out more ... presume you've come across this shot ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/brizzlebornandbred/9740780728

Didn't realise, despite viewing and enjoying your model(!), that the Midland had barges!  How far down the canal (Kennet & Avon I presume?) did they go?

Rich

• RMweb Premium

Very nice Richard,

Been and had a quick search around on the web to find out more ... presume you've come across this shot ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/brizzlebornandbred/9740780728

Didn't realise, despite viewing and enjoying your model(!), that the Midland had barges!  How far down the canal (Kennet & Avon I presume?) did they go?

Rich

Ah yes one of my favourite "massed D299" photos - but note the one, of the same design, sporting S&DJR insignia and black ironwork. I'm fairly sure I've read an article on the Midland's canal interests, either in Midland Record or the Journal of the Midland Railway Society. I have a suspicion the Midland gained its canal interests as part of the Bristol & Gloucester takeover. They must have worked up the Great Western's Kennet & Avon canal, as there was a Midland goods station at Bradford on Avon!

I have indeed seen that photo. There are quite a few similar shots of the area in Midland Record No 30, which has been the main source of inspiration. To be honest I hadn’t really clocked that the Midland came down this far until I started constructing the model, and I also had no idea they owned a fleet of barges (or lighters to give them their proper title). I find this process of discovery quite absorbing and the more you think you know, the more there is to discover.