Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

“Highland Sulzers” - Inverness TMD in the 80's - P4

Indomitable026

35 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

Good progress old bean. 

Pity that the fiddle wasn't an inch further forward, you could have brought the front line into use too.

Nah, I’m happy how it is - you know me, I like the odd random track that goes nowhere. Remember the two “Newquay” lines on Diesels in the Duchy? They went nowhere - and they were different gauges, one P4, one EM...

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Rochdale Road said:

Looking good Damian.

Is the front Rose Street curve just to complete the scene, rather than being operational? EDIT: Sorry missed a page, hadn't seen there was a page 50 and 2ManySpams has answered my question!!

Richie

Yes Rose Street curve is just to complete the scene.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Indomitable026 said:

Yes Rose Street curve is just to complete the scene.

Also, if it connected to the fiddle yard, you would need to add a second fiddle yard on the other end to allow traffic to run through.

3 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Also, if it connected to the fiddle yard, you would need to add a second fiddle yard on the other end to allow traffic to run through.

We are experts at scope creep - too many over the years.

So it’s a no - I’m hanging on this concept - there’ll be no extensions...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Indomitable026 said:

Our Layout (now sold) Treneglos is a good case in point...

To be fair Treneglos was only extended twice and only had two generations of fiddle yard. A minor 12' extension in scope over the original 20' - only 60% scope creep.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Indomitable026 said:

Meanwhile I’ve got two more stock rails fitted in the fiddle-yard.

210981D4-21EA-4C22-B9E6-E206F16E32A0.jpeg.aeff1bb1608344a887324fc395dd3c95.jpeg

Don't know why you're worrying about the fiddle yard now, there'll be plenty of time on the Friday night of it's exhibition debut. :good: 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Regularity said:

4 hours ago, Indomitable026 said:

We are experts at scope creep - too many over the years.

So it’s a no - I’m hanging on this concept - there’ll be no extensions...

My comment was meant as a reason not to make the changes...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Indomitable026 said:

Final stock-rail in (albeit under the influence of Peroni). I’ll see what it looks like in the morning.

3809C9C3-40B4-4B45-AF05-648EB5DFD0CF.jpeg.94a9686da1c4ad5c5dce29227dc4e9be.jpeg1F666E61-034D-46DE-B7C8-0B362C7C3BC6.jpeg.98fe8c7c7c244d466a46bc5f731f2213.jpeg

At risk of encouraging scope creep; have you considered adding scenery to the fiddle yard and turning it into a shunting plank?  Two layouts in one, with each serving as a fiddle yard for the other.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mark Forrest said:

At risk of encouraging scope creep; have you considered adding scenery to the fiddle yard and turning it into a shunting plank?  Two layouts in one, with each serving as a fiddle yard for the other.

Have you been drinking your home brew again?

Repeat after me - there will be no scope creep.

(I ended up reading the whole of the Treneglos thread after that little diversion above - great memories)

To be fair the scenics (the side of the adjacent shed) will go in to the fiddle yard. Somewhere in an earlier thread I explore this with cardboard buildings...

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

20 hours ago, Indomitable026 said:

Have you been drinking your home brew again?

Repeat after me - there will be no scope creep.

(I ended up reading the whole of the Treneglos thread after that little diversion above - great memories)

To be fair the scenics (the side of the adjacent shed) will go in to the fiddle yard. Somewhere in an earlier thread I explore this with cardboard buildings...

Here’s a link to the cardboard building mock-ups. Showing how the buildings may extend in to the fiddleyard.

31 minutes ago, Rochdale Road said:

Quite impressed with how quick your getting track down! I am hoping when I come to start track laying on my P4 layout I can achieve something similar!

Looking good Damian

Richie

I’ve generally really enjoyed it. The key thing is as I’ve got older I’ve managed to slow myself down and pace myself - I was always in too much of a rush to get things done before. Building this P4 track has been no more difficult than any other gauges I’ve worked in - in fact with the excellent gauges and jigs in some ways it’s easier. 

Posting on here allows me to reflect and check - these days all my work is done under a magnifier, however there’s nothing like closeup photos to show you what’s wrong  - it’s warts and all on here. 

Like everything it’s important to recognise when your having a bad day and walk away - some days I can’t even thread chairs on rail - it’s fascinating how different you can feel and how it effects your abilities on a given day.

Enjoy your build.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Indomitable026 said:

The key thing is as I’ve got older I’ve managed to slow myself down and pace myself - I was always in too much of a rush to get things done before

The joys of not having exhibition deadlines, one slightly backhanded advantage of Covid19.

Mike.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

The joys of not having exhibition deadlines, one slightly backhanded advantage of Covid19.

Mike.

The truth is... that is the problem we all face, motivation without a deadline.  Damian has got it at the moment!    

Work tomorrow Mr Ross ?

Andy