“Highland Sulzers” - Inverness TMD in the 80's - P4

Indomitable026

On 22/12/2020 at 21:45, Geoff Cook said:

Just wondering when your going back to point construction and wondering why you have fitted the tortoise plates being the operating wires from the blades are not fitted yet, so you wont know exactly were they will be.

I used a surgical needles for the piece of tube 21 gauge and 0.4mm wire

Geoff

I know you’ve told me this before, but what type of wire and needles and where from?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Indomitable026 said:

Well, you did do an excellent job in Templot for me...

I’m extremely grateful for that.

I wasn't  fishing for complements; I'd completely forgotten that I did that!  Must admit I'm never quite sure how the way it looks on screen is going to translate into how it looks in real life, but I think between us we've got this looking just right.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Indomitable026 said:

I know you’ve told me this before, but what type of wire and needles and where from?

0.4mm nickel silver wire from Eileens

needle

21 gauge 40 mm length colour green

Box 100 £2.70

Terumo Agani Sterile Needle 21G | Sterile Needles | MediSupplies

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Final update of the day.

I’ve got the rest of the left hand rail on the pit road installed plus some sleepers off the end.

I’ve also finished the chairs around the two crossings.

69E48F63-CAF5-4FFB-A09E-95E7487BCC29.jpeg.9fcc772ac4c98bb1a0bf774137328f40.jpeg

Slightly annoying, I’ve just realised I’ve got not slide chairs, but no great issue as I have to wait for the dropper wire now anyway. So we’re about as far as we can go on these two for now.

• Like 8

arrrggghhhh.

I’m so scruffy - I mean - how many people have to go along the top of the board with a chisel first to take off spilt glue/ paint or whatever, before laying track!

It’s because I’ve been using the front of the board to work on. Well now it’s time to lay the front Rose Street curve so I need to clear this area.

First job is removing the webs from the sleepers, I do one side only first. Thread rail and then stick down. The second rail is then added and finally removing the remaining webs. It’s a balance - you obviously need the web to space the sleepers - but they are harder to cut out when the rails in place.

49F85C2F-D259-44BC-B3CF-1B504FAC2062.jpeg.59298f3524e3dec5f041356daca1539f.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, Indomitable026 said:

arrrggghhhh.

I’m so scruffy - I mean - how many people have to go along the top of the board with a chisel first to take off spilt glue/ paint or whatever, before laying track!

It’s because I’ve been using the front of the board to work on. Well now it’s time to lay the front Rose Street curve so I need to clear this area.

First job is removing the webs from the sleepers, I do one side only first. Thread rail and then stick down. The second rail is then added and finally removing the remaining webs. It’s a balance - you obviously need the web to space the sleepers - but they are harder to cut out when the rails in place.

49F85C2F-D259-44BC-B3CF-1B504FAC2062.jpeg.59298f3524e3dec5f041356daca1539f.jpeg

WHY remove the spacers, your just making the job that much harder

do it on bends if necassery     

the ballast should cover them, see BCB

Geoff

2 hours ago, Geoff Cook said:

WHY remove the spacers, your just making the job that much harder

do it on bends if necassery     

the ballast should cover them, see BCB

Geoff

I remove them because I can see them - i like the look of low ballast and seeing it right under the rail.

Just personal preference.

• Like 3

Here’s a nice shot off Flickr, showing what will be the backdrop for most of the length of the layout - the side of the wash bay and associated buildings.

Note also how nice the large logo livery looks without the orange  warning stripes on the cant rail - something that gets lost sometimes with all these modern 37s carrying retro liveries and the models that follow...

37183, Inverness 4.5.85

https://www.flickr.com/photos/isispics/6783671832/in/photolist-bks6ib-REuguw-2j4PQdX-2iyq7U8-PyrZLq-Z5j8db-2irULcK-2jxDX69-T9qv4k-eHHjup-NxNN8Z-F7CeCc-2k9HLQr-23m7h1k-2hZknEU-2hxeCRz-TQTLmv-tqZGBq-26sre6F-2j4SuDJ-pNDX2K-RDy15x-HAi46n-cfACJf-KLCWzD-DbFQ92-S2q5Ar-a3Fe4J-2hyWrZu-2kftx7d-DwJqBF-2iEvxpp-2bgpuLn-pmi88-2k5LbSp-2gPgake-fWdzme-7HaTnF-2eoEwVq-RrYbWD-2kiRy7q-MkzVcS-2kiSbuw-2iLBsL3-oTADQD-2hNRCvN-2jyhgDr-y67T3r-PCsknK-T7rEd3

• Like 12

I’ve just spent a highly civilised couple of hours on a Zoom call with my good friends; Andy Banks (Wagon Basher), Nigel Brazier, Chris Tooth (2manyspams), Andy York, John Wardle (Old Gringo), Geoff Cook and Mark Forrest.

During this time, amazingly I’ve fashioned up 2 sets of 1:6 common crossings and 4 check rails...

16A30107-213B-460E-9764-0AEA164C2406.jpeg.d141e3ba7acfe594c3550c4abf660df7.jpeg

1C38B08A-4D74-49EF-846B-FE7A9D436340.jpeg.b962c88a82fc0d1583a31aaa122ad9f8.jpeg

So an excellent evening all round...

• Like 8

Hi Damian,

Just spent an enjoyable couple of hours reading through the thread.  Always enjoyed Inverness the four times I have been there, although all were AFTER Sprinterisation unfortunately.   But your layout is really coming on well and the track work looks great.

I am just starting out in P4 and have never built track before, so would you mind if I asked a couple of questions?

On 25/12/2020 at 12:08, Indomitable026 said:

The little know Christmas ritual of making crossing ‘V’s...

Just a steady little job for this morning.

FCCB5F45-277D-4BF3-A1FC-23389B5EA458.jpeg.31edee6f4288e179f4d9e053dc5e5f24.jpeg

Is that one of the Scalefour Society 'vee' rigs - I forget the actual name for them?  I presume they allow you to simply place the rails in position and solder them?

On this image (from Saturday afternoon) on the road to the right of the pit, the straight track has black chairs, where as the points, as well as the approach to the left hand pit road have brown chairs - is there a reason for the difference?  I presume your plastic sleepers are the C&L thick variety?

Also on your check rails that you've pictured this evening, how do you know where to put the bend at the ends?  Does this come from the Templot plan - which thanks to a friend I am learning reasonably well - or is there another marker?   

Final question (sorry for it being like Mastermind!) I note reference to the fishplates, but I assume these are prototypical ones in brass or plastic that fit within the web of the rail, rather than the Peco style?  I don't think you've actually added them yet, but if one section of track needs to be electrically isolated from its neighbour, how do you do that with the fishplates?  I assume fishplates can be acquired from the Scalefour Society?

Apologies for hijacking your thread, but the way you've photographed the stages and the work makes it really easy to follow for a newbie like me, so thank you!  I have bookmarked it in my browser now to try keep track of this topic, a) so I don't lose it and b) so I keep up to date with what your achieving.

Richie

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Indomitable026 said:

I’ve just spent a highly civilised couple of hours on a Zoom call with my good friends; Andy Banks (Wagon Basher), Nigel Brazier, Chris Tooth (2manyspams), Andy York, John Wardle (Old Gringo), Geoff Cook and Mark Forrest.

During this time, amazingly I’ve fashioned up 2 sets of 1:6 common crossings and 4 check rails...

16A30107-213B-460E-9764-0AEA164C2406.jpeg.d141e3ba7acfe594c3550c4abf660df7.jpeg

1C38B08A-4D74-49EF-846B-FE7A9D436340.jpeg.b962c88a82fc0d1583a31aaa122ad9f8.jpeg

So an excellent evening all round...

Name dropper!

Mike.

• Funny 4