“Highland Sulzers” - Inverness TMD in the 80's - P4

Indomitable026

It's been a while, I know - work's been getting in the way after a recent promotion.

Anyway, I fancied half an hour in the railway room this morning, so I thought I'd start handling some of the track components to get a feel for them.

First up the 'ready to lay' sleepers.

post-8734-0-51643800-1518949708_thumb.jpg

They come in 3 inch lengths with all the sleepers joined together with lower level link strips.

So the first issue is that in this configuration they will not bend around the curves.

I've cut the link strips alternatively, this is the same fashion as ready to lay flexi track.

post-8734-0-71393600-1518950529_thumb.jpg

Allowing it to be formed into a curve, in this case 36 inch radius  

post-8734-0-23092800-1518950533_thumb.jpg

In the end I'll remove all these link strips, however for now they remain to give me the sleeper spacing.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

On the prototype, sleeper spacing on curves is determined with reference to the outside rail, with the spacing closed up on the inside rail. To get the right effect, cut the link strips on the inside - although as this is not a high speed main line, it might be purely academic...

On the prototype, sleeper spacing on curves is determined with reference to the outside rail, with the spacing closed up on the inside rail. To get the right effect, cut the link strips on the inside - although as this is not a high speed main line, it might be purely academic...

Giving this.

post-8734-0-09554700-1518952989_thumb.jpg

Everyday a school day.

• Like 1

Technical question.

I've got some of those silver things in your pic, they've got I, II & III on them, what are they for,

Don't panic, even though they are P4, I'm not ever going to use them, just curious.

Mike.

Are yours incrementally gauge widened?

Mine haven't got numbers on...