“Highland Sulzers” - Inverness TMD in the 80's - P4

Indomitable026

Guest eddie reffin

Home.

Yup, Home. Wish I worked on the railway back when it still had real traction. Still little bits of history all round the depot. Really need to see if I can get more pics.

Guest eddie reffin

Had a trip back through my photos and found the following ones which may be of some use.

The pet puggie sitting No6 road behind the CSMD

post-3930-0-52923400-1503519456.jpg

A view into the washout road. Its used nightly for a 158- it doesn't actually fit and only 2/3rds of the unit gets done. The rest is done by jet wash

post-3930-0-68042800-1503519466.jpg

Storage tank in between Tank Road and stores road. 

post-3930-0-15260600-1503519479.jpg

View looking East from between Tank road and Stores road

post-3930-0-26153700-1503519487.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I think it's also the nominal width of the Treneglos boards.

They were always very easy to transport and lift yourself if need be, that said they were only 4 foot long.

Yes, originally (prior to deciding to use chains as the standard unit of layout measurement) John had a stint at using metric. The boards iirc were originally planned at 1000mm x 500mm. The 1000mm proved to be too short so was increased to 1200mm (not 4'as that would be mixing units!).

I think that TG, particularly in the station yard area would have benefited from wider boards but that ship sailed nearly 15yrs ago.

You're effectively building a diorama closed in by buildings not an open expanse of countryside. Presuming that it will be mounted high up, and combined with the building backdrop, 20" looks fine.

Yes, originally (prior to deciding to use chains as the standard unit of layout measurement) John had a stint at using metric. The boards iirc were originally planned at 1000mm x 500mm. The 1000mm proved to be too short so was increased to 1200mm (not 4'as that would be mixing units!).

I think that TG, particularly in the station yard area would have benefited from wider boards but that ship sailed nearly 15yrs ago.

You're effectively building a diorama closed in by buildings not an open expanse of countryside. Presuming that it will be mounted high up, and combined with the building backdrop, 20" looks fine.

Yes height is another thing i need to get my head around. I intend mocking the whole thing up, full size. I'll go for my standard 'letter box' frontage which will stand proud - it will be one piece, removable and have lights all the way round, including at the bottom. Hopefully this will remove the shadowing that occurs in DitD.

Edit: crossed with your post above (must write faster)

• Like 2

Had a trip back through my photos and found the following ones which may be of some use.

The pet puggie sitting No6 road behind the CSMD

attachicon.gifIMG_0147.jpg

A view into the washout road. Its used nightly for a 158- it doesn't actually fit and only 2/3rds of the unit gets done. The rest is done by jet wash

attachicon.gifIMG_0704.jpg

Storage tank in between Tank Road and stores road. 

attachicon.gifIMG_1205.jpg

View looking East from between Tank road and Stores road

attachicon.gifIMG_1392.jpg

Thanks for those.

I've never heard the term 'puggie' before...

Any further pictures of the side of the washout shed would be most appreciated.

Guest eddie reffin

Any small shunting engine up here gets called a puggie. Seems to have gone back as far as steam days according to some of our older drivers.

I'm loving the concept of this layout and to make it more appealing, the prototype is something I'm very familiar with.

Any small shunting engine up here gets called a puggie. Seems to have gone back as far as steam days according to some of our older drivers.

I'm loving the concept of this layout and to make it more appealing, the prototype is something I'm very familiar with.

Interesting, the LMS had little 0-4-0 steam engines called Pugs.

• RMweb Gold

Any small shunting engine up here gets called a puggie.

Whereas in Glasgow a puggie is something completely different: usually involves losing lots of money whilst failing to win the advertised big prize!

Paul.

Guest eddie reffin

Yeah, I grew up in Oban and that's what we knew a puggie as. Many a tradesman would spend his lunch filling said machines!