Atso's occasional workbench

Atso

9 hours ago, millerhillboy said:

Steve

I don't see any lines at all on this latest print, is that a reflection of improving materials and printing techniques?

regards

Craig

Hi Craig,

There are one or two minor areas where it shows (the flash washed them out!) but nothing major. Just a case of getting the print orientation, exposure times, layer thicknesses, supports and anti-aliasing levels right I guess.

38 minutes ago, Atso said:

Hi Craig,

There are one or two minor areas where it shows (the flash washed them out!) but nothing major. Just a case of getting the print orientation, exposure times, layer thicknesses, supports and anti-aliasing levels right I guess.

So once you figure out the optimal print configuration for a certain model if you just keep those settings do you get the same ( or as good as) the same quality each time thereafter?

1 hour ago, millerhillboy said:

So once you figure out the optimal print configuration for a certain model if you just keep those settings do you get the same ( or as good as) the same quality each time thereafter?

Within reason, yes. However there are some consumable parts that need to be replaced periodically which do affect the quality as they wear out.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been remiss in not updating this thread recently.

So what has been going on?

First up is another N2.

20200510_194051.jpg.5e15b737026504c14d12c0d763d02e02.jpg

One of the many prints of this body that I did when I was testing my Photon printer. It isn't correct for any of the N2s I want to model, but it does serve to see just how much material needs to be removed from a Farish 4F chassis to get it sitting low enough. It's almost but not quite there yet. The tanks largely hide the incorrect wheelbase so I won't be trying this method with the N1.

Another K3

693615882_K3No_911.jpg.bb6cd8649125bccdecc0d5988b73a01e.jpg

This one will be No. 91 which has a modified NER style cab, right hand drive and an ex-GNR tender (borrowed from another project). I've fitted the handrails ready for painting but the buffers, lamp irons and other bits will be fitted once I've finished lining out. Again, a little more work is required to get the loco sitting on the chassis properly (butchered Farish B1 this time).

I've revived my long overdue Sir Sam Fay.

1056842867_SirSamFayMay2020.jpeg.f50573c691526ac771747b5059044530.jpeg

Again, handrails fitted and ready for painting.

A mixing of parts!

20200510_193929.jpg.6ec060876b187031fd3a9027a621edba.jpg

This is a Dapol B1 chassis, fitted with new bearings to allow Farish Fairburn tank engine wheels to be fitted. The tender is the borrowed one shown earlier. I hope that this will end up as a K2. It is currently awaiting testing, but it does roll freely with the worm disengaged.

Finally, following my success in finally getting my Atlantic working properly, I've started the next two!

1431014918_3286and4436.jpg.d4f31593601113317b6ad673cbd0b348.jpg

These will be 3286 (front) and 4436, both of which were regular performers out of King's Cross. While this are still in their raw resin state, I hope that the detail differences between these locos can be seen.

I'll get the Atlantics to the same stage as the K3 and Sam Fay bodies before breaking out the airbrush.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

6 hours ago, Atso said:

I've been remiss in not updating this thread recently.

So what has been going on?

First up is another N2.

20200510_194051.jpg.5e15b737026504c14d12c0d763d02e02.jpg

One of the many prints of this body that I did when I was testing my Photon printer. It isn't correct for any of the N2s I want to model, but it does serve to see just how much material needs to be removed from a Farish 4F chassis to get it sitting low enough. It's almost but not quite there yet. The tanks largely hide the incorrect wheelbase so I won't be trying this method with the N1.

Another K3

693615882_K3No_911.jpg.bb6cd8649125bccdecc0d5988b73a01e.jpg

This one will be No. 91 which has a modified NER style cab, right hand drive and an ex-GNR tender (borrowed from another project). I've fitted the handrails ready for painting but the buffers, lamp irons and other bits will be fitted once I've finished lining out. Again, a little more work is required to get the loco sitting on the chassis properly (butchered Farish B1 this time).

I've revived my long overdue Sir Sam Fay.

1056842867_SirSamFayMay2020.jpeg.f50573c691526ac771747b5059044530.jpeg

Again, handrails fitted and ready for painting.

A mixing of parts!

20200510_193929.jpg.6ec060876b187031fd3a9027a621edba.jpg

This is a Dapol B1 chassis, fitted with new bearings to allow Farish Fairburn tank engine wheels to be fitted. The tender is the borrowed one shown earlier. I hope that this will end up as a K2. It is currently awaiting testing, but it does roll freely with the worm disengaged.

Finally, following my success in finally getting my Atlantic working properly, I've started the next two!

1431014918_3286and4436.jpg.d4f31593601113317b6ad673cbd0b348.jpg

These will be 3286 (front) and 4436, both of which were regular performers out of King's Cross. While this are still in their raw resin state, I hope that the detail differences between these locos can be seen.

I'll get the Atlantics to the same stage as the K3 and Sam Fay bodies before breaking out the airbrush.

Tell the differences? You have me at safety valves. Must look harder. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Nice work!

It looks like 4436 has a smokebox saddle but 3286 doesn’t? Only other difference I can think of is whether the tender had handhole cutouts at the front or solid sides. I think there were differences around the rear outside frames but that could have been on the C2s, I can’t remember.

Jamie

Edit: Just had another look at the piccy, is it just the light or has 3286 not got a builders plate on the splasher?

Edited by JamieR4489
  • Thanks 1

Sorry guys, I've been distracted today by this...

1230833841_USSEnterprise.jpg.9f936a1c0eab85b99cbc846034c8184e.jpg

A Polar Lights 1:1000 scale TOS Enterprise. I purchased this kit at least 11 years ago and never finished it. So far it has swallowed up an awful lot of filler and had a couple of missing parts which I've had to fabricate replacements for. Despite being labelled a 'easy, snap together kit', it really has been a bit of a sod to get a decent surface finish on. Hopefully, I'm just about there now and might just get a final top coat on it in the next few days.

Well done to Richard and Jamie for correctly identifying all the differences between the two C1s. I believe that Jamie and Mr Wealleans are correct that the saddle represents the locos fitted with piston valves, while the ones without were fitted with balanced slide valves. Neither of these locos have the brass oil boxes on the splashers either. I think that there were three locations for the builders plates; on the front splasher, on the front of the frames and further back on the frames, just behind the lubricators. Quite a lot of variation within the class crying out to be modelled.

• Like 2

On 16/05/2020 at 10:38, chris p bacon said:

Looking good Steve, I have some more drawings for you (I finally got my a*se in gear) which I'll email (wetransfer) later.

Thanks Dave.

Not to worry about the drawings, I've still got a load to send your way when I have access to a scanner again.

On 16/05/2020 at 11:26, grahame said:

Impressive modelling. You must have quite a stud of steamy N/2mm locos now.

Thanks Grahame. I think it is fairer to say that I have a reasonable stud of half finished projects - I must become more focussed! 

1 minute ago, Atso said:

I have a reasonable stud of half finished projects - I must become more focussed! 

Sounds like me. Lots of unfinished modelling projects.

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Atso said:

Well done to Richard and Jamie for correctly identifying all the differences between the two C1s. I believe that Jamie and Mr Wealleans are correct that the saddle represents the locos fitted with piston valves, while the ones without were fitted with balanced slide valves.

Jolly good. So I'll be receiving my GCSE certificate in Identifying the Differences in Ivatt Atlantics in the post, then? :yes: :rtfm:

• Funny 2

2 hours ago, JamieR4489 said:

Jolly good. So I'll be receiving my GCSE certificate in Identifying the Differences in Ivatt Atlantics in the post, then? :yes: :rtfm:

If you send a suitable fee to the awarding body (me!), I'm sure that something can be created and sent... :P

• Funny 1

In the brick bunker on the corner of Hills Road?   That's where I was although it's a few years ago now. 

I bet a lot of the same staff are still there, though.   It's one of those places where you spend a whole career.   Warn him now.