Kernow OO gauge YCV Turbot Bogie Ballast Wagon

Paul.Uni

No Mistake! The strip covering the solebar beneath the bottom of the door is black! As are the headstocks and buffer stocks. It looks as if the change to grey for that strip came with the production switching to Swindon.

Paul Bartlett

Why? What size of wheel does the model come with?

Paul

Larger ones!

Am I correct in my thoughts that the NEM pockets are at the wrong height? - the couplings seem to have a very large crank from the photo. Can anyone confirm as I use Kadee's.

You are correct, I am thinking how to successfully couple mine to a loco using kadees

post-7968-0-55268100-1519021221.jpg

• RMweb Gold

The buffers are too high as well So what’s out? Is it the wheels? It it the bogies? If it’s the bogies Cambrian do very nice replacements :/

Griff

Something is obviously to cock.

If you are going to have to start replacing bogies you might as well start with a Cambrian Kit, or just the body mouldings and for further refinements add on the aftermarket goodies.

Poor show IMHO.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

You are correct, I am thinking how to successfully couple mine to a loco mine to a loco using kadees

Many Thanks for photo - wow that’s miles out, worse than the older Bachmann stuff by my reckoning. Unless you want a dedicated rake hauled by an older 40 or 45!

Sadly that’s 3 or 4 that I won’t be buying. I will wait for the Dapol one and see if they can do better than decide between that and some Cambrian ones - I have one already but find painting the yellow is a pig to get the line straight with all the bracing, stiffeners and doors.

Edited by SHerr

Just done a crude experiment. I have super glued another NEM Pocket under the original fitted pocket.

I will be running a permanent rake of 5 Turbots so only need one kadee at one end to be the correct height to couple to a loco.

post-7968-0-69813100-1519071173.jpg

post-7968-0-32366900-1519071182.jpg

Think that has made my mind up, none of these for me. Going to stick with Cambrian kits as they are nice kit to build and look right. Out of interest, the wheels used on the Cambrian versions I have built (post#64) are standard 12mm diameter, not sure if its me (it could well be!) but the Kernow wheels look bigger (14mm)?

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Something is obviously to cock.

If you are going to have to start replacing bogies you might as well start with a Cambrian Kit, or just the body mouldings and for further refinements add on the aftermarket goodies.

Poor show IMHO.

Mike.

I was being very ironic ;)

find painting the yellow is a pig to get the line straight with all the bracing, stiffeners and doors.

I had a similar problem when painting the cab inside of an 08.I solved it by painting the base colour (in this case white) and then using block colour transfer sheets in black to do the lower half of the cab. Perhaps something similar might work here?

I'm surprised no one has yet commented on the most unusual thing about the coupling mounting. Is this the first RTR piece of bogie rolling stock on which the coupling isn't attached to the bogie but to the main body? And has anyone yet tested a rake on tight-radius curves to see how they behave?

Think that has made my mind up, none of these for me. Going to stick with Cambrian kits as they are nice kit to build and look right. Out of interest, the wheels used on the Cambrian versions I have built (post#64) are standard 12mm diameter, not sure if its me (it could well be!) but the Kernow wheels look bigger (14mm)?

Cheers

Simon

I've checked the Kernow models on my desk and the wheels are 12.3mm diameter; my first observations are that any height disparities are caused by the bogie mounting onto the underside onto a raised disc to give sufficient allowances for model track variations. I don't think a prototypical clearance would work well on most track.

I'm surprised no one has yet commented on the most unusual thing about the coupling mounting. Is this the first RTR piece of bogie rolling stock on which the coupling isn't attached to the bogie but to the main body? And has anyone yet tested a rake on tight-radius curves to see how they behave?

A quick examination on the desk shows this shouldn't be an issue.

Turbot_5.jpg

Edited by Andy Y
Pic added
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Before...

post-20773-0-66056200-1519205363_thumb.jpeg

After With a slight switch...

post-20773-0-10406600-1519205417_thumb.jpeg

Bogies compared...

post-20773-0-83319200-1519205436_thumb.jpeg

Underframes compared (showing coupling pockets attached to the body, and the screw based bogie pin on both)

post-20773-0-94604300-1519205481_thumb.jpeg

There’s some play on the Kernow turbot, but as the ICI bogie demonstrates.. there’s room for a 12mm bogie wheel underneath and get the height correct, I may take off the extra lip around the pivot hole on the bogie of the turbot.

Note the underframe of the ICI hopper gives space for the wheels, which the turbot does not, though there’s about a MM of space between wheel flange and body under the turbot, it can be reduced a little with minimal effort.

Edited by adb968008

I have removed the extra lip at the top of the Turbot bogies and this has reduced the bogie height, so that it now matches to the recent Tiger bogie hoppers and I've had it running at the same height with Hornby Seacow hoppers. The removal doesn't cause any clearance problems, as there is still a raised lip around the pivot on the chassis. There is still sufficient up and down movement for inclines, in fact more movement than with the recent Tiger hopper wagons. I managed to file off the bogie lips on 6 wagons yesterday morning in about an hour. Have not reduced the height of the pivot lug, so the bogies do have a fair amount of vertical movement.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've checked the Kernow models on my desk and the wheels are 12.3mm diameter; my first observations are that any height disparities are caused by the bogie mounting onto the underside onto a raised disc to give sufficient allowances for model track variations. I don't think a prototypical clearance would work well on most track.

The ICI hopper in the pic below is going to have some problems then Andy?!

Mike.