The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Tide Prediction for August 2020.

Penlan

Being mindful that apparently the tide times can be predicted for the next 5,000 years or more, because it's related to the phases of the Moon - Or so I've been led to believe for most of my life - I don't seem to be able to find a Web page that allows me to know the tide times in Newlyn on 2nd August 2020.

Why, well somebody is looking for ideas to commemorate the attack on Mousehole on that date 425 years ago by the Spanish, if there's to be a Maritime element, which there needs to be, I would like to know where the tide will be, in, out, shake it all about....

Many thanks.

I've found Dover (for cross-channel swimmers) for Aug 2020 - is it possible to work back from that?

http://cspf.co.uk/tide-tables/2020/08

Andy, brilliant no problem at all, it seems Dover is 6 hours* after Newlyn which sounds a bit uhmnn - I may have to check that, I hadn't realised it could be so different.

Which would give Newlyn High Tides at roughly 5am and 5.30pm.  

Tide seems to be about halfway between Spring and Neap tides.

Dover, Sun 2nd Aug 2020.      Low 06:10 am   High 11:13 am   Low 18:38 pm   High 23:37 pm

* Looking at today's tidal different times.

BUT the main thing is I now have a reference point, so many thanks Andy.  :sungum: 

Edited by Penlan

The UK Hydrographic Office offer free tidal predictions for any port, but these are limited to up to the next 7 days.  It is necessary to register with them.

http://www.ukho.gov.uk/Easytide/easytide/SelectPort.aspx

If you want predictions outside the 7-day range, then there is a small charge, but the info you are looking should be available.

John

Edited by AncientMariner

Why, well somebody is looking for ideas to commemorate the attack on Mousehole on that date 425 years ago by the Spanish, if there's to be a Maritime element, which there needs to be, I would like to know where the tide will be, in, out, shake it all about....

Given that we can safely assume the attack was unsuccessful (since we speak English, not Spanish), is the significance of the tide to do with sinking the invaders, or cutting off their retreat..?? :D

• RMweb Gold

Given that we can safely assume the attack was unsuccessful (since we speak English, not Spanish), is the significance of the tide to do with sinking the invaders, or cutting off their retreat..?? :D

Or simply blocking up the mousehole? I think my cousin used to own a noshery there, called the Copper Kettle or similar.

The Village intends to celebrate in 2020, the 425th anniversary of the Spanish invasion on 2nd Aug., 1695.
Based on some previous years 'Sea, Salts & Sails' events when the tide has been right out (the harbour devoid of water) at mid-afternoon, it seems that for a Maritime celibration, it would be useful if the tide was in.  

Thus my Q. 'what will the state of the tide be like on 2nd August 2020'.

Most of the Village was set ablaze by the Spanish, only the likes of stone built 'The Keigwin' Manor House remaining intact. The Spanish even got as far as Penzance, though did little damage there.

post-6979-0-14513700-1503828196.jpg

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 2

I us either The RYA or a local sailing and canoe club when needing details of rides for the Thames in the London area.

They can come up with accurate predictions for specific points rather than just a generic area.

Very handy if you are on a shore with limited places to escape.

Bernard

• RMweb Premium

The Village intends to celebrate in 2020, the 425th anniversary of the Spanish invasion on 2nd Aug., 1695.

Based on some previous years 'Sea, Salts & Sails' events when the tide has been right out (the harbour devoid of water) at mid-afternoon, it seems that for a Maritime celibration, it would be useful if the tide was in.  

Thus my Q. 'what will the state of the tide be like on 2nd August 2020'.

Most of the Village was set ablaze by the Spanish, only the likes of stone built 'The Keigwin' Manor House remaining intact. The Spanish even got as far as Penzance, though did little damage there.

attachicon.gifkeigwin.jpg

Surely its 1595, not 1695?

Have you tried this site

http://stormy.ca/tides/index.html 

amongst other good things it claims:

• Calendar: converts Julian/Gregorian as needed for historical research

Whenever I next have a sleepless night I might just try to calculate at what time in November 1297 William Wallace was able to ford the upper tidal reaches of the Tyne just below our house to burn and pillage our County Durham village. The burn marks can still be spotted on the stone interior of the church.

It is said WW only decided to stop and make an issue of it after the villagers had taunted the Scots army across on the north side of the river the evening before !

dh

• Like 3

I'm wondering what shape the celebration's will take as due to the EU fishing quota's - the Spanish buying up various EU quota's (Oh, what are they called?) licences? etc., - local fishermen (Newlyn) don't exactly like the Spanish.....  

Mind you, who sold the quota's  :nono: 

We will see...  BTW the Canadians are VERY welcome, I don't know, but presumably they don't like the Spanish fishermen either.

The Spanish do acknowledge they did some damage here about's as per this local press cutting (Without the Press Gangs  :jester:  )

Following the devastating fires little remains as tangible evidence of the invasion today. The register in Paul church, begun anew after the fire, sadly records amongst other names; "Jenken Keigwin of Mowsholl being killed by the Spaniards was Buried the 24th of Julij".

About fifteen years ago a severe storm caused considerable damage to the roof of Paul church. This was followed by fund raising to carry out the repairs. The then treasurer, Mr Philip Hutchins, tactfully approached the Spanish ambassador to the United Kingdom and pointed out the damage caused to the village, especially the church, by Spanish troops in 1595. The ambassador responded by forwarding a cheque towards the appeal.

All E.& O.E.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting choice that for tides !

There are no discernible daily tides in the Med - and Gib is just past the narrowest point from the Atlantic.

So where does tidal rise and fall fade?

dh

Gibraltar's tidal range is about a metre, and if I recall correctly, by the time you get to the Cartagena area it's half that. Moving a little further east, the Med opens out, and the tidal range becomes very small