Help with station site.

Hello  : I am trying to figure out a small test build before attempting a small end to end shunting layout.

Dull question time. If I put a station building onto a platform. What do I do at the back? Is a roadway and scenery built up to platform height or do I build steps down? What ideas or advice could you give? Working in OO, Board approx. 70'' X 11''.

Thanks, Chris.

• RMweb Premium

Take your pick, you will find as many variations in the real world as you can imagine to model.

Example 1 Trowbridge one side the ground is built up to platform height, the other platform has steps / a ramp to reach from ground level to platform height. 

Example 2 Ivybridge - one platform has a ramp/steps up to platform height, the other platform is built into a cutting so the ground slopes up from the back of the platform. 

Example 3 Redruth - one platform is at ground level / in a cutting, the second platform has a level assess point in the middle, is in a cutting at one end and the other end is above ground level ending on quite a tall embankment. 

These stations are all simple 2 platform affairs on plain line sections of track, so in general layout are very similar. 

• RMweb Gold

Along the Southern West Coastway there are several stations with steps up into the booking hall - Hove, Shoreham, Ford and Lancing. It is by no means uncommon. Perhaps they are more common in flat areas. There are so many examples of different entrance levels that you can decide what you like the look of. Best of luck with your project what ever way you go!

Take your pick, you will find as many variations in the real world as you can imagine to model.

Example 1 Trowbridge one side the ground is built up to platform height, the other platform has steps / a ramp to reach from ground level to platform height. 

Example 2 Ivybridge - one platform has a ramp/steps up to platform height, the other platform is built into a cutting so the ground slopes up from the back of the platform. 

Example 3 Redruth - one platform is at ground level / in a cutting, the second platform has a level assess point in the middle, is in a cutting at one end and the other end is above ground level ending on quite a tall embankment. 

These stations are all simple 2 platform affairs on plain line sections of track, so in general layout are very similar. 

What you wont find is a full size station on a dead level baseboard with steps leading up to it as modeled by Hornby in tinplate, Triang in plastic etc.   

For that reason roads at platform level generally look less toy like, and if there are steps up it should generally be from a lower level than the tracks if you really want to up the realism roads, rivers, streams, culverts are all frequently found under platforms, Pickering NYMR has a river under the platform end, Goathland is sort of in a deep valley with a river under the pointwork at the south (uphill) end.

Stroud GWR is sort of road level one end and 50 feet up on a viaduct the other.

Some are in deep cuttings but few are as weird as Liskeard in a cutting between two viaducts with a branch which sets off north and turns 180 degrees to come back under the main line viaduct, Model that and no one would believe it.

• RMweb Gold

It sort of doesn't matter as long as it's believable within the constraints of the landscape and lie of the land.  My South Wales Valleys BLT Cwmdimbath has a 1,600 foot mountain rearing up directly behind the station building, which is approached as far as passengers are concerned down a footpath separated from the platform by a spear railing fence and hemmed closely in by the mountain; a fogman's hut at the end of it serves as a ticket booth.  Not saying this would work for a large urban setup, but it is believable in the context.

Looking at prototypes I am particularly struck by Okehampton, high on a shelf on the hillside above the town and a marvellous mish mash of levels, embankments, bridges, sloping access roads, all blended wonderfully into the northern slope of Dartmoor itself.  Bargoed in South Wales is another good 'un, a more or less impossible arrangement of a road overbridge at one end with the same road going under a high viaduct at the other.

What you wont find is a full size station on a dead level baseboard with steps leading up to it as modeled by Hornby in tinplate, Triang in plastic etc.   

Except for the ones that are, as already mentioned Shoreham.

Shoreham_Station.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry to hijack this thread but, Miss P, where on earth is that last photo?

Hello Intrigued of Calne. It's Culkerton, on the Tetbury branch. Built on a rather high embankment (at least on the non-platform side), and I cited it in this thread just to show some station buildings were not at 'ground level'.

Chris Leigh did a nice model of it in the May and June 1968 Model Railway Constructor. The goods shed was tall!

Edited by Miss Prism

I wrestled with this issue for a small freelance station I was working on.  I think the key issue here is SMALL.  Basically the road level needs to be such that wagons can be offloaded onto carts / lorries - possibly via a small shed either on the main platform or with its own goods platform for a larger station.  The I happened to look at some real stations - specifically Hemyock (pictures) and Sheffield Park (in the flesh).  Both use steps.  Similarly where there are level crossings nearby steps are commonplace though there may also be a path down the ramp.  But there are also stations where the road is level with the station entrance.

Given the "landscape" and track layout of my model, I opted for steps.  For freelance, it would seem to be a case of what looks right to you.

I think at Alverstone Station, on the Isle of Wight Central, access was up the platform ramp, from the road at the level crossing at the eastern end of the station.  The Station Masters house was founded at road level, abutting the eastern end of the platform.  I think Horringford may have been the same.

Edited to add:

Looks like the only public entrance to Alverstone station was by a wicket gate adjacent to the level crossing gates. The booking office looks like it was in the ground floor front of the Station Masters house, at ground (road) level.  Passengers then climbed the platform ramp to the platform.  There was a small wooden shelter on the platform and no fill behind the platform.

Edited by eastglosmog

• RMweb Gold

Treherbert's pedestrian approach is through a ground level booking office and up the island platform ramp via a timber crossing of the down running line, and always struck me as a very modellable situation, with a lot going on in a very small space at that end of the platform.