The Pre-Grouping Pedants Weekly

Wellington's famous quote about the Highland regiments, when inspecting the lines before Waterloo, is 'I don't know what they do to the enemy, but they scare the hell out of me'.

Jim

Ah, yes, the Devils in Skirts were truly terrifying ....

post-25673-0-53505500-1507112193.png

I was wondering how long it would take to get us to that.

I felt that the train had, indeed, arrived at Mornington Crescent, so far as that was concerned.

A searing commentary upon post-war and post Imperial British society, this seminal film is as relevant today as it was in 1968 .... 

Khasi of Kalabar: They will die the death of a thousand cuts!

Princess Jelhi: Oh! But that's horrible!

Khasi of Kalabar: Not at all my little desert flower, the British are used to cuts!

I felt that the train had, indeed, arrived at Mornington Crescent, so far as that was concerned.

A searing commentary upon post-war and post Imperial British society, this seminal film is as relevant today as it was in 1968 .... 

Khasi of Kalabar: They will die the death of a thousand cuts!

Princess Jelhi: Oh! But that's horrible!

Khasi of Kalabar: Not at all my little desert flower, the British are used to cuts!

The 'Dinner Party Under Fire' scene is one of my all-time favourite scenes. :mosking:

• RMweb Gold

Back to Louis XIV.  Modest chaps, these absolute monarchs.

Perhaps we can work back to railways via his namesake and biggest fan?

I did try a funny line....

It was rubbish.....

Edited by tomparryharry

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to be pedantic, but those fishplates are on upside down. Wrong wood on those sleepers, for that period. Merehead quarry ballast, really?

Also, 3rd guardsman (from the left) seems to have the incorrect button spacing.

Maroon window frames didn't happen until 19th August, 1951.....

Fred the Office Boy.

Edit: Forgot, it was raining that day, with a north-easterly breeze.

Edited by tomparryharry
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Also, 3rd guardsman (from the left) seems to have the incorrect button spacing.

Going OT (on this thread?) but friends who are also military modellers tell me that these issues cause internet rows that put our “rivet counters” into the shade.

• Like 5

3rd guardsman (from the left) seems to have the incorrect button spacing.

You mean Grenadier, of course?

One might assume that the figure in the centre is intended to be General Cambronne.  If so, he is about to express his sense of frustration at the railway's lack of punctuality by shouting 'Merde !', which only goes to show that Napoleon's officers simply weren't gentlemen!

• Like 2

I forgot to say they were in defensive posture expecting an assault from the Brigade of Pedants.

It is comforting to know that we can turn our pedantry to almost any subject, arguing for an underlying personality defect that surely relieves us of much of our responsibility for this behaviour.

When we stand convicted of pedantry, diminished responsibility must be our get out of jail free card!  

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I forgot to say they were in defensive posture expecting an assault from the Brigade of Pedants.

Obviously expecting an assault by frustrated passengers already on a train not from prospective passengers. Have they been travelling by  Southern Railways?

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Going OT (on this thread?) but friends who are also military modellers tell me that these issues cause internet rows that put our “rivet counters” into the shade.

You mean Grenadier, of course?

See what I mean?

It is comforting to know that we can turn our pedantry to almost any subject, arguing for an underlying personality defect that surely relieves us of much of our responsibility for this behaviour.

When we stand convicted of pedantry, diminished responsibility must be our get out of jail free card!

Not at all, not at all. I am proud of my pedantry, and freely and grandly accept the persecution which follows.

It is entirely because of pedantic critics pointing out the errors that off-the-peg-shelf models gave improved so much over the years - a fact which those who use “pedantic” as a term of abuse so easily forget whilst they enjoy the long-ripening fruits of our criticism.

• Like 2

If we are accused of being round the bend, the important thing to assert is that we are happily round the bend.  I'm in my own little world, but it's OK, they all know me here!!   :jester:  :jester:

Jim

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

2MT could be anything. For instance, 2MT is the taper fit sometimes found in a lathe tailstock. This size increment is most commonly from 1MT, up to 5MT. For more information,if you wish, I'll need to dig out my ZEUS.

I once saw a model wagon, with HB on the sides. How was I to know we were talking about pencils?

Fred the office boy.

• RMweb Premium

I've been reading Major J.W. Pringle's report into the accident on the Midland Railway at Bromford Bridge on 13 January 1913, which gives a fascinating insight into the working practices of the time and preserves more-or-less authentically the voices of ordinary railwaymen. One point that struck me is that one of the engines involved, a 2000 Class (Flatiron) 0-6-4T, No. 2033, is described rather cumbrously as having "six coupled wheels and a bogie under the footplate" whereas the other engine, No. 507, is described (erroneously) as a 2-4-0.

We've looked at carriage and wagon terminology - what about engines? When did the Whyte notation come into common use in Britain? One finds many nineteenth-century engines described chiefly by reference to the number of coupled wheels. Starting from the assumption that engines have six wheels, we find variously:

single = 2-2-2

four-coupled = 2-4-0 or 0-4-2 - but how distinguished?

six-coupled = 0-6-0.

Passenger engines with a leading bogie are distinguished by reference to that article (just as was the way with carriages - a composite, 4 or 6 wheeled, a bogie composite...):

bogie single = 4-2-2

bogie four-coupled = 4-4-0 - in Scotland especially, simply a bogie.

bogie six-coupled = 4-6-0.

The term 'atlantic' for a 4-4-2 seems to have been in use from their first introduction at the end of the century.

Any others?