Sunday Morning visit to the ELR

Owd Bob

Disturbing some of the cars of my youth are now described as classic . Must mean I'm vintage! Is that a Hillman Hunter. Used to be made at Rootes/Chrysler in Linwood

I know!  but i think i'd say 'classic' as vintage makes it sound much older :jester: I think the Orange Hillman Hunter estate was the later model version/replacement of the Blue Humber Sceptre estate two pics below it! I must get a new camera these two quid charity shop ones are'nt up to much  :jester:

• RMweb Premium

It was nice to see Bob. You don't see that many Hunters around these days . Looks like a nice day out. What does "owd" mean by the way. I used to pass a pub called "Owd Tats" is it Mancunian for old?

Edited by Legend

It was nice to see Bob. You don't see that many Hunters around these days . Looks like a nice day out. What does "owd" mean by the way. I used to pass a pub called "Owd Tats" is it Mancunian for old?

I agree they are rare nowadays, the front wings on this one where paper thin and well rotted out with only the thick Orange paint holding it all together, i thought the 'Avenger' was a nicer looking car in its day, again though try finding one these days! i'm no expert on steam loco's ...they are well before my time! but am i correct in thinking that the Crimson Steamer is an Horwich Crab? It Looked really smart in its lined liv'  :) Think i've only ever seen a pic' of 'em in books and they all looked to be painted Black? Have to say i got my last bought (1997) locoshed book out of the drawer and i finally kopped the '09 :yahoo:  :laugh:

Edited by Owd Bob

• RMweb Premium

I agree they are rare nowadays, the front wings on this one where paper thin and well rotted out with only the thick Orange paint holding it all together, i thought the 'Avenger' was a nicer looking car in its day, again though try finding one these days! i'm no expert on steam loco's ...they are well before my time! but am i correct in thinking that the Crimson Steamer is an Horwich Crab? It Looked really smart in its lined liv'  :) Think i've only ever seen a pic' of 'em in books and they all looked to be painted Black? Have to say i got my last bought (1997) locoshed book out of the drawer and i finally kopped the '09 :yahoo:  :laugh:

Yes it's a Crab . Not sure if the crimson livery is technically accurate. Most Crabs were black but I vaguely remember maybe the first 5 being turned out Crimson. Somebody on here will correct me if I'm wrong

They still did Locoshed books in 1997? Wow, thought they'd gone by then.

I was more a combined Volume person myself  

I could never afford a combined version :mosking:  and i never looked twice at any DMU or EMU so no point buying it anyway :pardon: Owd do's mean old Legend, but i'm not that owd or named Bob... :secret:  :P its just another user name :whistle:

I had the similar Hillman Minx Estate, in that colour, too. Second worst car I ever owned (worst was a Hillman Imp). As you say, wafer thin metal - mine was written off by a Mini that skidded on a patch of ice. (CJL)

I had the similar Hillman Minx Estate, in that colour, too. Second worst car I ever owned (worst was a Hillman Imp). As you say, wafer thin metal - mine was written off by a Mini that skidded on a patch of ice. (CJL)

We had for a time it's off road estate version - the Hillman Husky.

When I say off road - cos it spent a lot of time in the shop, the only heating came from the engine under a thin metal cover in the rear load area, the Zastava Yugo that it followed a few years later was luxury.

Yes it's a Crab . Not sure if the crimson livery is technically accurate. Most Crabs were black but I vaguely remember maybe the first 5 being turned out Crimson. Somebody on here will correct me if I'm wrong

It was 13000 - 13097 that carried the LMS crimson with large numerals on the tender and coat of arms on the cabside. 13098 and 13099 were also crimson with LMS on the tender. So it's correct.

Details from Illustrated History of LMS Locomotives Volume Five. Essery and Jenkinson,

Jason

• Agree 1