Andrew Barclay 14" & 16" 0-4-0ST in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

Front & Rear brake pipes and a screw link coupling.

I don't know about the other versions but my No.6 came with a pair of peculiar three-link couplings* in place of the screw type : a top shackle ( correct ) and two minute circular rings in place of the oval links you'd expect - very odd !

* In addition to the spurious vac. pipes, Smarties and Jelly Babies, of course.

I don't know about the other versions but my No.6 came with a pair of peculiar three-link couplings* in place of the screw type : a top shackle ( correct ) and two minute circular rings in place of the oval links you'd expect - very odd !

* In addition to the spurious vac. pipes, Smarties and Jelly Babies, of course.

I noticed that, too. A pity, given the effort gone to to use correct Southern-pattern three-link screw links on the P class. I'll just be snipping the rings off my Barclay and fitting oval wire loops. The circular links provided won't fit over any drawhook I've seen!

The circular links provided won't fit over any drawhook I've seen!

No point trying - they won't reach any know drawhook anyway ! ................ I've run out of my favourite Exactoscale three-links ( and can get no joy from C.& L. ) so I'm resorting to shortening some Smiths ones - they'll go on No.6 tonight.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Return it is the best option, give Hattons a call and they will refund return post. The bent cabs may also be due to the snug packing as it was inserted I guess. Maybe someone in a rush ;)

Has anybody had an issues with the Green NCB version? Mine arrived from Hattons with a warped cab!

It's prototypical ! : https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=muir+kirkcaldy+barclays&rlz=1C1GCEA_enGB770GB770&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=TTQrSKqu3nEToM%253A%252C1gOfCi9MHdR6kM%252C_&usg=__hngjyz6884NjfsbJnybQGaPKDH8%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj2947t98jaAhUhJcAKHXWlBEkQ9QEIiwEwCg#imgrc=n-9awfe_DQg-mM:.............. or is that a Grant Ritchie ?

Edited by Wickham Green

• RMweb Premium

My No 6 seems to be fine in all respects cab wise. It's just missing that footstep footplate knob, and has a slightly bent offside tank handrail. I've not tested it for running qualities yet though.

Maybe we are about to instigate cab gate. I appreciate the disappointment if the open type back sheet to the cab is akin to a banana but we were all aware of it from the showing of the first decorated samples.

attachicon.gifAB14-004_3345082_Qty1_3.jpg

Maybe some nice niche manufacturer will be looking at a brass or nickel replacement for those that can't live with it?

For me, the front cab window being in the wrong place on the small tanked AB's or the top to side and side to bottom radii on the water tank being too sharp, are more problematic.

oup north we have a word for this sort of ad-hoc cab realignment...'dunch'...(its onomatopoeic)

I've got a bent cab back on my 'Katie' as well, but it's not that bad. My immediate thoughts were to think about making a replacement cab back in brass.

Shouldn't be too difficult but its something Hattons will need to look at on their next batch.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good Afternoon all,

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to share their photos and feedback of the models so far.

A small number of customers have received open-cabbed Barclays with distortion to the cab backsheet. It seems likely the packaging technique has caused this.

We’re currently talking to the factory who are investigating the viability of providing spacers to resolve the issue for affected models and replacement packaging to prevent it reoccurring. We will be sure to provide updates as soon as we are able to.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1

Well my three arrived today. Not quite the same 10/10 for the 'perfect P' but still pleased overall........

Katie does have the warped cab back wall but it looks like slightly snug packaging. I may try to wedge something in between the back wall and the inside front of the cab (or maybe just across the 'door' gap?) just to push it back out, for a few days maybe. As I have been typing this Hatton's Dave reply has just come in. It certainly looks like a packaging issue to me. Katie also had what looked like a damaged handrail and at first this looked like it had been snapped out of the forward lug but luckily it just popped back into place with no real harm done. Also one of the small hand-grabs on the front corner of the running plate was missing. Again it looked like this had been snapped off as the tiny hole looked like it was still filled. Luckily the minuscule part was floating around amongst the foam packaging (seemed like it might even be metallic?) and hadn't snapped off but just slotted back into the hole. Will need some careful gluing!

GWR 705 just has some slight paint blemishes. They are only small and at 'normal' viewing/running distances they would not be visible but then the detail on these models is so fine your eye does tend to become drawn in to the smallest of details - particularly with the amazing cab detail! I may yet return this one to see if I can get a better one.

BR 705 had what looked like some spare copper pipework wedged under the saddle tank handrail. It took me a while to work out where this had come from but eventually located it as missing from inside the cab! Quite how it worked it's way out of the cab, and under the handrail, whilst the model was encased in the silicone sheeting I do not know! Anyway, hopefully I will be able to separate the cab parts and refit this pipework. It just looks like insufficient glue had been used (same as Katie's grab handle). I can't imagine this 'snapping' off in transit - it must have been packaged like this at the factory!

I did wonder if the reason these models had taken a week to go from 'order processed' to delivered was due to additional QC checks by Hattons (as someone else on here had been told) but with my three I'd say this was not the case! Certainly the faults with Katie and BR 705 would have been immediately obvious to anyone!

So as I say, not quite the 10/10 with the P Class models but a solid 6/10 which may rise to an 8/10 once I have resolved the faults!

The cab rear on my Katie has only a very slight lean and if I had not read about a problem I would have been unaware.

You need a straight edge to detect it.

Regarding the couplings. This is like a hark back to a cartoon from the early days of dealing with China when the vision of a child's swing was drawn by a series of people in different areas of the project. 

The problem is what to do about it.

I normally use Smiths but on such a small loco with so much exquisite detail there is a temptation to go for some thing finer. 

I think I will go for Smiths with a reduced depth shank as it would spoil things to open up the holes in the buffer beams.

Having rolled round the test track for 10 minutes she is now running very sweetly. Though with a top speed around 75% that of an A4 it still seems a little odd.

Bernard

Well my three arrived today. Not quite the same 10/10 for the 'perfect P' but still pleased overall........

Katie does have the warped cab back wall but it looks like slightly snug packaging. I may try to wedge something in between the back wall and the inside front of the cab (or maybe just across the 'door' gap?) just to push it back out, for a few days maybe. As I have been typing this Hatton's Dave reply has just come in. It certainly looks like a packaging issue to me. Katie also had what looked like a damaged handrail and at first this looked like it had been snapped out of the forward lug but luckily it just popped back into place with no real harm done. Also one of the small hand-grabs on the front corner of the running plate was missing. Again it looked like this had been snapped off as the tiny hole looked like it was still filled. Luckily the minuscule part was floating around amongst the foam packaging (seemed like it might even be metallic?) and hadn't snapped off but just slotted back into the hole. Will need some careful gluing!

GWR 705 just has some slight paint blemishes. They are only small and at 'normal' viewing/running distances they would not be visible but then the detail on these models is so fine your eye does tend to become drawn in to the smallest of details - particularly with the amazing cab detail! I may yet return this one to see if I can get a better one.

BR 705 had what looked like some spare copper pipework wedged under the saddle tank handrail. It took me a while to work out where this had come from but eventually located it as missing from inside the cab! Quite how it worked it's way out of the cab, and under the handrail, whilst the model was encased in the silicone sheeting I do not know! Anyway, hopefully I will be able to separate the cab parts and refit this pipework. It just looks like insufficient glue had been used (same as Katie's grab handle). I can't imagine this 'snapping' off in transit - it must have been packaged like this at the factory!

I did wonder if the reason these models had taken a week to go from 'order processed' to delivered was due to additional QC checks by Hattons (as someone else on here had been told) but with my three I'd say this was not the case! Certainly the faults with Katie and BR 705 would have been immediately obvious to anyone!

So as I say, not quite the 10/10 with the P Class models but a solid 6/10 which may rise to an 8/10 once I have resolved the faults!

Update, image below of BR 705 - the reason the 'copper' pipework was stuck where it was on removal from the packaging is that it is actually steel wire, so was held in place by the motor magnets! Commendable that such an item from the cab detailing should be metallic! Quite how it got there from the cab, with all the silicone sheeting in place is still a mystery to me. It must have been packaged like that surely?

post-7266-0-48631900-1524248981_thumb.jpg

Removal of the body was a delicate operation as there are so few places to hold onto, even with my small fingers! One point to note, in the Hattons instructions it shows two pipes to ping out from under the tanks on either side (ringed below, easy to get out, not quite so easy to get back in!) but it doesn't tell you about two other pipe/valve assemblies that you may or not need to remove on disassembly but will most certainly need to ping out on reassembly (like the other two, they are not glued). These are also ringed in the image below and there is one both sides. Again, they just clip (or un-clip) into place under the running plate/footplate floor and the attached pipework is plastic so fairly flexible, hence why you might not even notice them on disassembly. On reassembly you just need to pull the valve end of the pipework downwards away from the running plate and move outboard a tiny bit just to aid the body fitment back onto the chassis.

post-7266-0-00850100-1524249545_thumb.jpg

Then getting to the cab space was quite easy, more screws separate the boiler/cab from the metal running plate and then the cab outer parts separate from the boiler and back-head by gently sliding the cab upwards. I just glued the 'copper' pipe back in place at the top of the back-head. There are tiny location holes in the running plate where I assume all three 'copper' pipes are supposed to locate but with the cab in place there is no way you could hope to line these up! Probably why this particular one popped out in the first place. Anyway, it hasn't popped out again during re-assembly so this one is now sorted!

• Like 1

Am I the only punter who is still waiting for something to happen? I ordered WTT DCC fitted back in September 2017, but the order remains 'open' and untouched.

Have you contacted them?  Drop Hattons an email, or use the contact form on the website.  They'll get back to you tomorrow morning (UK) with a status report.  Fitting the DCC chip might be the hold-up if they need to take as much care as has been described above!

Hattons contacted and explained that the Hattons own decoder they planned to use was not viable, and had to use a Gaugemaster chip instead. They needed authorisation for the refund and the new payment which was not a problem to me.

Looking forward to receiving mine maybe tomorrow or Monday.   

I could sculpt a special crew ,sadly analogue ,so better detailed,to wodge into  the gap twixt cab side and back plate to keep the offending cab rear upright .Add a few nanogarms of weight too .

Edited by alfsboy

Hope they have their brakes screwed on tight!

I do have to wonder about Aberdeen Gas Works No.3 and its stable-mates. Why did they remove the handbrake standard and how did they manage without it?

I do have to wonder about Aberdeen Gas Works No.3 and its stable-mates. Why did they remove the handbrake standard and how did they manage without it?

They didn't. The handbrake standard was ran up through the left hand coal space. Another Andrew Barclay option. A good few Welsh AB's were delivered that way.

p2701089544-4.jpg

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1