Andrew Barclay 14" & 16" 0-4-0ST in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

Thank goodness Hattons use 48 hr tracked - given the value of the little blighters! Has anyone else had bad experience with Amazon sendings by Royal Mail? SO far this year 2 Cd's and now a book have just "disappeared". Surely if they go in to Royal Mail they have to come out of the system, and if they are not delivered to me where do they go? Tempting to think half-inched on the way somewhere but not by our village posties.

Good evening gents, and genettes, I think I may have cracked the mystery of why the handrails on the Model Rail samples were bent. If you look at the packaging, in particular the central 'pillar', if you will, of the piece that sits on the saddle tank itself, there is a small foam pad on it to prevent scratching and gubbings. There is just a little extra bit of foam on the left hand side and that's pinching the handrail and causing the bendiness. I'll relay my finding to Hattons when I can. Thoughts?

ScR

• RMweb Premium

Got my green NCB version today - was very disappointed to find it not weathered.  IIRC the original sample of this (before they were changed, can't remember the reason, something unprototypical in the detailing?) was weathered, so I expected this still to be the case. Ah well.

It also has bendy handrails but that will probably look prototypical when it does get weathered!

Edit - where DID I see a weathered green one?  I see I am mistaken, but I'm sure there were photos of one!

Edit edit - On the header of Hatton's mailing list!

Edited by New Haven Neil

My Burnley Corporation Gas Department arrived safely and on schedule and was waiting for me when I got home from work.

Containing my excitement I managed to take it out of the box without bothering to consult an unboxing video. So far so good, I then tested it on the grounds that finding there was a problem after I'd started buggering about with it could be a bit iffy. But no, everything was good

And so began phase 1 of conversion to Aberdeen Gas Works No.3:

The original was a 12" and all of the Aberdeen Gas Works locos had some idiosycracies, but the Burnley Corporation one ticked the highest number of boxes. The shade of blue colour was good and it had the right porthole configuration at the rear. The front not quite right but the larger tank doesn't leave room for the long oval windows, so I'll have to live with it. Bonaccord has the older style of cab so that option is out.

First the handbrake standard and hood came off, both are just push fit and easily sprung free.

Next the Burnley lettering on the tank and cab sides was rubbed off using cotton buds and Brasso - very easily done, swiftly and no problems

Then painted the buffer beams and coupling rods black

Finally coupled up to rake of Aberdeen Gas Works  wagons [Hornby] - all done within an hour of arrival

post-1141-0-20398200-1524076934_thumb.jpg 

Phase 2 will be more complex - fitting side skirts and enlarging the aperture at the back. I have some sheet brass lined up and the motion brackets look as if they can provide support. A name-plate and maker's plaque need to be ordered from Narrow Planet, and I need to do something about opening up the aperture at the back, but that could be awkward. Obviously doesn't need vacuum pipes but it would be nice to add side-chains and a three-man crew - driver, fireman and flag man, with the latter very sensibly riding on the cab steps rather than walking in front. 

Edited by Caledonian
  • Like 10

Received and unpacked Katie today, what a lovely little locomotive.

Couple of things I noted whilst fitting the decoder, be careful with the injector feed clacks on the sides of the boiler, make sure they are well clear as you remove the chassis. On Katie the additional footsteps from the running plate to the tank are in front of the clacks and make it more difficult.

Secondly the motion bracket tops (free end of the slide bars) locate in little slots in the running plate, when rebuilding make sure these are located correctly. One of mine didn't resulting in poor running in reverse when tested (clicking with erratic running).

Lastly (again this may be unique to Katie), underneath the cab and running down under the running plate to the motion bracket are the injectors and pipes (I think), these foul on the back of the chassis as it is removed, like the clack valves, the read end of the piece will come out of its location hole, just make sure they are clear when replacing the chassis.

I will take some pictures later if I can and put them on here at a later date.

Got my green NCB version today - was very disappointed to find it not weathered.  IIRC the original sample of this (before they were changed, can't remember the reason, something unprototypical in the detailing?) was weathered, so I expected this still to be the case. Ah well.

It also has bendy handrails but that will probably look prototypical when it does get weathered!

Edit - where DID I see a weathered green one?  I see I am mistaken, but I'm sure there were photos of one!

Edit edit - On the header of Hatton's mailing list!

It was also on the Hattons 'news' page for the Andrew Barclay loco that they have updated throughout .....

http://www.hattons.co.uk/NewsDetail.aspx?id=186

(Edit: Scroll down to the 12/03/2018 entry)

Edited by leavesontheline

I recall seeing that as being a one off model produced in house to show off the ABs after the livery samples arrived. Perhaps future released may come factory weathered, but none of the first lot of ABs were offered as being weathered.

• RMweb Gold

The pics of the weathered one were accompanied from the first posting by this text:

"Weathered Andrew Barclay Diorama

12/03/2018

Here's a little creative inspiration for you! One of our resident experts spent a night-in working on one of our Andrew Barclay locomotives and produced this incredible scene. NCB No.6 has been thoroughly weathered and coupled to a makeshift tender wagon and rake of coal hoppers. This creates a simple but realistic colliery diorama that would have been prototypical across the UK in the 60s & 70s. You can see similar locomotives working in such a way in the pictures below."

The production lists all show factory fresh pics so I don't think it's misleading.

Edited by PaulRhB

Apologies if these questions have already been answered, but this is a lengthy thread and I can't see any obvious references to them!

Firstly, can anyone summarise the prototype status of the various liveries - that is, which are real, which are fictitious, and which are "as preserved"? And, for the real ones, what are the approximate dates in which the locos in question would have carried them?

To expand on that a bit, the Hatton's website says that, for example, "Coronation" is era 7 and era 8, which is too late for in-service steam so I'm presuming that's purely a preservation livery, while "W.T.T." is shown as era 4 and era 10, the first of which is appropriate for an in-service livery but the latter is clearly also preservation.

Has anyone out together a simple chart of the liveries and their dates? I know I could extract that from the Hatton's website, but I don't want to reinvent the wheel if someone else has already done it.

Secondly, can anyone tell me what "W.T.T." actually stands for? :)

I picked mine up from the postal depot today (because best way to make a parcel you've been waiting ages for turn up at the door is to go sit on the loo, apparently)

The CPC livery is really well applied. It now completes the trio of Trafford Park suitable locos along with the Hornby Peckett and Sentinel for 'Grove street'. I'm going to go out in the garden and get her running in. Given the really nice weather I'll let her trundle on a full circuit of the garden loop so that I can enjoy the sun.

• Like 4

Apologies if these questions have already been answered, but this is a lengthy thread and I can't see any obvious references to them!

Firstly, can anyone summarise the prototype status of the various liveries - that is, which are real, which are fictitious, and which are "as preserved"? And, for the real ones, what are the approximate dates in which the locos in question would have carried them?

To expand on that a bit, the Hatton's website says that, for example, "Coronation" is era 7 and era 8, which is too late for in-service steam so I'm presuming that's purely a preservation livery, while "W.T.T." is shown as era 4 and era 10, the first of which is appropriate for an in-service livery but the latter is clearly also preservation.

Has anyone out together a simple chart of the liveries and their dates? I know I could extract that from the Hatton's website, but I don't want to reinvent the wheel if someone else has already done it.

They are all "real" as in they have all been carried by the relevant engines. Most are preservation era though.

Jason

Can somebody tell me what 'era 7 .... or 8 or whatever' mean ........... my poor old brain only understands pre-grouping, post-grouping, nationalisation or 'corporate blue' periods  -  but does comprehend that NONE of those is even vaguely relevant to industrial locos !

Thank goodness Hattons use 48 hr tracked - given the value of the little blighters! Has anyone else had bad experience with Amazon sendings by Royal Mail? SO far this year 2 Cd's and now a book have just "disappeared". Surely if they go in to Royal Mail they have to come out of the system, and if they are not delivered to me where do they go? Tempting to think half-inched on the way somewhere but not by our village posties.

If you can, try and report any missing items.

I used to work for RM and whilst the vast majority of posties are honest there are a few rogues. We had one who reckoned that Amazon parcels are easy targets as nobody complains when they go missing. He was caught flogging them at a car boot sale. Apparently the bosses had suspected him for a while. They just need people to tell them that things are going missing so they can act.

Jason

Can somebody tell me what 'era 7 .... or 8 or whatever' mean ........... my poor old brain only understands pre-grouping, post-grouping, nationalisation or 'corporate blue' periods  -  but does comprehend that NONE of those is even vaguely relevant to industrial locos !

Look at the Hatton's website as they are on there.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/1484058/1000588/1000640/0/Hattons_OO_Gauge_1_76_Scale_Steam_locos/prodlist.aspx

Jason

• RMweb Gold

I did say I was mistaken, Paul.

I obviously saw the weathered one and it stuck in my mind. Haven't had a chance for a play yet, it looks very good.

Just trying to reassure you they hadn't pulled a fast one Neil :)

I also thought, oooh that'd be good! so let's hope they find a way to offer the options later :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If you can, try and report any missing items.

I used to work for RM and whilst the vast majority of posties are honest there are a few rogues. We had one who reckoned that Amazon parcels are easy targets as nobody complains when they go missing. He was caught flogging them at a car boot sale. Apparently the bosses had suspected him for a while. They just need people to tell them that things are going missing so they can act.

Jason

Yes you have to report it, I had a parcel go astray and with both buyer and seller pursuing RM it turned out someone was stashing parcels to see if they were reported. If not he had them! They caught him adding to the stash. Only found out the full story as the buyer knew a local postie, RM just apologised . . . Eventually!

Barclay 2134 was delivered new to British Gypsum who had 3 sites and 5 Barclay locomotives split between them along the Settle and Carlisle. In 1970 Steamtown bought 4 of the locos for £1100. They were purchased by volunteers at Carnforh. I ended up with 2343 and Dick Warmsley bought 2134. When it arrived in 1970 It was painted a very faded green version of the WTT livery and had a very bad axlebox so that it leaned back alarmingly. Dick and Steamtown had a repaint sponsored by Fina into the blue livery around 1972. Dick Warmsley then sold the engine to a friend who repainted it in the lighter green coronation livery. The Coronation nameplates are originals from a scrapped 16 inch Hunslet I think ran in Yorkshire which seemed appropriate. It ran in this livery for a long time. Then it was repainted again back to WTT and was seen like that in 2008. 

• RMweb Gold

My trio have arrived.

post-20773-0-07295500-1524147685_thumb.jpeg

It’s so nice I had to look at them outside, as you can see I am literally on the fence about them.

(It could be worse I was thinking to pose them as Barclays on the BBQ :-)

Everyone’s obsessed about Katie’s buffers, but it’s her rear that interests me...

When it comes to footplate detail, I think the Barclays are the winner... I could just pull that whistle chain ! So many separately fitted footplate parts.

post-20773-0-17964700-1524147697_thumb.jpeg

I have to resist buying more of these, but a black one unnumbered as industrial to go with the black peckett sounds good, as does a green WTT.

But given the possibilities I suspect Hattons are onto a winner here and another 10 In Historical liveries could sell well down the road too.

For those eagerly awaiting the postman, I was charged Friday with a tracking number in email, but it didn’t show up on Royal Mail in Warrington until Tuesday noon, but made it south if the Thames today.. 48 hours was really 24...

post-20773-0-94436200-1524147709_thumb.jpeg

post-20773-0-34623100-1524147723_thumb.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4