wenford dries - 7mm - 1983

bcnPete

• RMweb Gold

Hi Pete any more progress on layout I'm building a small OO layout on these shelves what do you do with the wiring has I'm stuck on what to do with it on top or underneath?normally I run the wires underneath.

Cheers

Hi d600,

Thanks for your interest - no progress in the last few weeks as have been getting my 2FS layout ready for the 2mmFS AGM (today)

That said, I will return to it shortly especially as the Dapol 08 is due the end of this month.

For wiring, I normally drill through and run wires under the side of the board so they are accessible. I usually put small rubber spacers on the underside to lift it off the surface and this provides ample depth to run them back to the edges.

I have always said, whilst not entirely practical baseboards for layouts in terms of wiring (point motors would need hollowing out) the shelves are fairly lightweight and manageable in size (which suited me) and at circa £6 a pop represent good value. I also like the size too as it gives you constriaints to work with rather than the conventional, draw a plan and make the baseboards to suit that.

Hope that helps,

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Dapol 08 now arrived - lovely model and had some fun shunting this morning...

post-3290-0-71032400-1479053484.jpg

post-3290-0-71100400-1479053495.jpg

post-3290-0-60703100-1479053504.jpg

Need to crack on with the fascia panels now so I can install the turnout operating systems permanently then start on the scenics.

Will chip the locos 2017 when my wallet has cooled again...;)

• Like 8

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Even in its tarnished, unglazed state, the Bachmann looks the more convincing. The yellow painted radiator vents scream 'toy' to me but you will undoubtedly have lots of fun with both!

Dave

Thanks Dave!

Sorry for the delayed reply as this project has been in hibernation for a while.

Although patience and eyesight loss may well bring it back out soon ;)

Thanks Dave!

Sorry for the delayed reply as this project has been in hibernation for a while.

Although patience and eyesight loss may well bring it back out soon ;)

Come on Pete I’ve been waiting years to see this built

• RMweb Gold

Come on Pete I’ve been waiting years to see this built

Ha! Me too...have drawn the CAD for the timber fascias so it might get bumped up the pecking list order ;)

However, once the fascias are in place it will take up considerably more room in my wife’s office then the 2 LACK shelves currently sandwiched together...and that’s the bit I need to get my strategy right on :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Quick update as I am now back on this having had another setback on my 2mmFS of late - decided to have a break from that before its gets thrown across the living room :rolleyes:

Due to a change in our CAD software at work to a new 3D programme I need to learn, I am conscious that the next phase of this is to get the fascias cut in 3mm plywood - construction will follow the similar format for my 2mmFS layouts with cantilevered L brackets from the back allowing integration of lighting.

In order not to waste material (as I need to cut out about 10 large sheets of ply of all the components) it occurred to me that I should experiment in foamboard to make sure I get the proportions right - it’s only a narrow layout (260mm wide Ikea Lack shelf) so it was important to see how this looked. The proscenium arch will conceal the lighting but also frame and set the scene so the first opening was cut giving a viewing slot of 300mm - this was offered to the layout with double sided tape, but immediately it looked too big.

The second one was reduced to 250mm and I am a lot happier with this - the BB 08 and a few wagons were also laid out to help gauge proportions.

Essentially there will be a clay dries building along the whole of the rear (remember I am just building an extract of it as per my usual layout ideas) and this is stepped to accommodate the small spur siding. Using photographs the walls were roughed out and a roof from 5mm foamboard and placed approximately. The sky above the rooves will be suitable painted.

Overall, I am happy with the results of about 2 hours work earlier and now can progress the final CAD sheets ready for cutting at work soon on the laser machine - a benefit of working in an Architects studio ;)

I did also plug in and have a quick play using a DC controller as the Dapol 08 is chipped but not this one yet. It was very therapeutic shuffling a few wagons so I think the Dapol 08 with soundchip I have will be good fun.

Here’s a few pics from today - I might bring some more foamboard home and finish off the other end of the fascia and the shed enclosure but may not complete the centre section depending upon whether I can lash up the middle as it’s not supported.

I think I wil start a Blog on this project as I must confess I prefer the blog to the layout threads...too much scrolling back trying to find things! I will try and keep this thread up to date as I know some peeps don’t like blogs.

As always, comments welcome,

Pete

post-3290-0-69304700-1529862819_thumb.jpeg

post-3290-0-14047500-1529862874_thumb.jpeg

post-3290-0-50909900-1529862917_thumb.jpeg

post-3290-0-10669500-1529862984_thumb.jpeg

post-3290-0-56262700-1529863032_thumb.jpeg

Edited by bcnPete
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Good to see progress on Wenfoed again Pete - the fascia really does make a big difference to the layout, looks very good to me.

Many thanks Neil - it’s big this 7mm stuff :O

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks Neil - it’s big this 7mm stuff :O

It is, but Wenford definitely shows that you don’t need much space or stock to make a convincing layout in the larger scales.

• RMweb Gold

It is, but Wenford definitely shows that you don’t need much space or stock to make a convincing layout in the larger scales.

Thanks Neil - that’s exactly what I am trying to achieve with this layout...:good:

• RMweb Gold

As mentioned, I have started a blog on this now but I will try to keep a summary of progress here for those interested but don’t like the blog format.

Yesterday I finished off the mock up and added a small shed building as a view blocker to break up the monotony of the rear elevation - it existed (and was on my early small scale mock up) but probably in scale terms a few boards further down - I might form as independent structure or incorporate into the right hand corner of the fascia - although when I did something similar with my Thurso 2mmFS project it had mixed reviews!

The left hand end will have a mirror and the right hand end a clear perspex sheet with apertures for both tracks...to allow feeding an extra wagon or cassette etc. if needs be...

The image I am trying to recreate is best summed up by these nice set of shots:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/66247864@N03/sets/72157675524305034

Here’s a few pics as it stands - next phase is tweak CAD and cut the fascias...

post-3290-0-86615000-1530443386_thumb.jpeg

post-3290-0-24621200-1530443409_thumb.jpeg

post-3290-0-02290900-1530443435_thumb.jpeg

post-3290-0-95102700-1530443456_thumb.jpeg

post-3290-0-48419500-1530443478_thumb.jpeg

post-3290-0-04112600-1530443504_thumb.jpeg

post-3290-0-84343300-1530443525_thumb.jpeg

Comments welcome as always,

Pete

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

There's some great progress being made here - though with prototype pictures like the ones in the link it would be hard not to be inspired to do some good works.

Thanks LBRJ - yes those pics were a great find...I seem to get small details each time a find new pics...

That looks good surprising what you can fit in with careful planning are you using PECO track?

Cheers

Thanks also d600 - no it’s all C+L track built to 31.5mm...

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Any more updates on this Pete, looks a nice plan?

On 02/07/2018 at 22:14, bcnPete said:

Thanks LBRJ - yes those pics were a great find...I seem to get small details each time a find new pics...

Thanks also d600 - no it’s all C+L track built to 31.5mm...

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, 37114 said:

Any more updates on this Pete, looks a nice plan?

Thanks Rob,

Yep although I transferred it to a blog as I prefer the different sub headings then endlessly trying to scroll back to find something!

Here’s the latest...

• Like 3