wenford dries - 7mm - 1983

bcnPete

• RMweb Gold

Try making a canvas flat hood from masking tape, I have to try that in 4mm for a new BR Southern / WR Branch that I am planning for the future.

Nice idea Andy - you might get there before me with that....so I will see how you get on... ;)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Pete, good to see this has re-awakened! Not sure I understand this, though:

.... I realised the other day that the clay wagons at Wenfordbridge didn't have hoods...shame as its a nice wagon...perhaps I will remove one and see how it looks - I will resist the Dapol 08...for now...

Clayhoods did run down to Wenfordbridge, there are some pictures from 1980 onwards in John Vaughan's "Illustrated History of West Country China Clay Trains" (pictures 124 onwards) and this image on Flickr of a rake in Bodmin having come up from Wenfordbridge. Is there an issue with the date you have in mind?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

good to see this has re-awakened! Not sure I understand this, though:

Clayhoods did run down to Wenfordbridge, there are some pictures from 1980 onwards in John Vaughan's "Illustrated History of West Country China Clay Trains" (pictures 124 onwards) and this image on Flickr of a rake in Bodmin having come up from Wenfordbridge. Is there an issue with the date you have in mind?

Thanks Rich - that's a relief...its just all the pics I have of Wenfordbridge dries (and I don't have many as they are hard to source) the clay wagons have no hoods... So I put 2 + 2 together...and got 5...no wonder it took me two goes to pass Math 'O level'....

Thanks for the link too...great shot...I am pitching the date just before closure in 1983...

• RMweb Gold

Hi Pete, glad to see you've carried on with the layout - love the idea of using the Lack shelves from Ikea - very ingenious. I shall be following this topic with interest :)

Cheers,

Neil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Pete, glad to see you've carried on with the layout - love the idea of using the Lack shelves from Ikea - very ingenious. I shall be following this topic with interest :)

Hi Neil - Thanks for this - sometimes we end up going full circle and coming back to where we started...and as a starter in 7mm, this seems to tick a few boxes for me...I am looking forward to starting to build the track...from August onwards....Me and Ikea go back a long way ;)

Edited by bcnPete
  • Like 1

I agree with Ramblin Rich,

It's good to see this thread re-awakened...

It has got me thinking about a china clay layout in 7mm too,

no wait, maybe in OO? Or perhaps EM?

The shelves could be a good idea too.....

It puts me in mind of a plan of Iain Rice's

In his book "Designs for Urban Layouts"

Not a fave book of mine considering his other superb titles

But the plan he calls "Virtua in Industria" features a smashing little

mult-level layout which is designed to fit on a shelf system,

or a cabinet, made from shelving units....

Rice's design incorporates 3 levels,

but I think in O, it would work well with just 2

From my point of view, the main problem would be ensuring stock cannot fall off the layout,

when the cassette linking the 2 levels is moved!

Keep modelling Pete :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Beware of high efficiency gearboxes on cassettes. Portescap and ABC powered locos can move quite easily if the cassette is not held level. I had no accidents but a couple of worrying moments.

Don

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It's good to see this thread re-awakened...

Many thanks Marc...I think you might have played a part in that with your 7mm exploits... :D

It has got me thinking about a china clay layout in 7mm too,

Go on...you know you want to...and besides, you will have built it and exhibited it whilst I am still faffing with this one... :laugh:

Beware of high efficiency gearboxes on cassettes. Portescap and ABC powered locos can move quite easily if the cassette is not held level. I had no accidents but a couple of worrying moments.

Maybe some sort of sprung gate type mechanism,

which the cassette holds back at 90 degrees,

and then retracts, when the cassette is removed?

Don and Marc - you guys have lost me on this...is it something to do with hand lifting cassettes with 7mm stock on them for fearing of dropping them...or the concern of locos creeping off the ends of the cassettes? :scare:

Edited by bcnPete
  • Like 1

It's both I think Pete,

but also a fear of losing concentration, and driving something off the end of a layout,

when the fiddle cassette isn't in place....

When I first exhibited Hendre, I used cassettes and nearly did this!

Using my exhibition table, this wouldn't have been too much of a disaster,

as it wasn't too far to fall - wouldn't really want it to happen though

It's cos I spend more time chatting, than I do running trains..

Or SWMBO might say I can't multi-task :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

With a high efficiency gearbox the loco will roll on quite a gentle slope where a worm driven loco would not. So when moving cassettes or turning them round you need to be careful as quite a small tilt and it will start to move. You either need something to block the ends or hold the cassette by the ends.

Don

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Update.

Whilst I am back in 2mmFS mode at the moment, work has been progressing behind the scenes.

As Ramblin Rich noted the other day, this site contains some useful pics of Wenford...

Also, whilst researching Wenford, I found by chance, that there is a proposal to convert the building into accommodation including apartments and artist studios.

Being an Architect, I am thrilled to see the building might get a new lease of life as its a shame to see buildings fall into a state of abandonment...its also a sustainable solution to reuse old building stock, so good news on that front rather than someone else building a load of new 'Noddy Houses' on a greenfield site...:D

So, upon delving further, I was really chuffed to see that the proposal is being undertaken by a colleague, whom I studied Architecture with at The Royal College of Art.

Can you see where this is heading...;)

• Like 2

Cracking pics on that link Pete,

Hadn't seen that site before.....

Re the cassettes, I didn't intend putting you off using them

I was only trying to make you aware of some of my findings

They can be a really useful method of "fiddling"

Now I'm thinking about a china clay layout again ;)

Cheers

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Now I'm thinking about a china clay layout again ;)

Go on...you know you want to...and besides you will have finished it before I quit faffing around with this one no doubt ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A suggestion on the cassette front - an idea 'borrowed' from DLT on his Bridport Town layout.

The final section of track on the scenic side is isolated from the rest of the layout and only becomes 'live' when a cassette is pushed into place.

This is achieved with two wiper strips on each side making contact with the aluminium angle of the cassette, thus the cassette itself makes the circuit.

So, one strip is the track feed and the other runs back to the isolated track section.

We have used the same system on our club layout (Tawbridge), which is DCC and have encountered no problems. Dave is currently using DC.

An engine running towards the fiddle yard then runs onto the isolated section and stops if the there is no cassette connected.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Richard,

That sounds clever...and one way of stopping those heart stopping moments when stock hits the floor :O

I think I can build this layout and not require a cassette to start with as if its just an 08 busying itself with clay hoods then I won't need to add anything else....but I will bear that in mind for a future 'add on'.

I might even add a piece of plexiglass at the ends to act as short term security though.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Richard,

That sounds clever...and one way of stopping those heart stopping moments when stock hits the floor :O

I think I can build this layout and not require a cassette to start with as if its just an 08 busying itself with clay hoods then I won't need to add anything else....but I will bear that in mind for a future 'add on'.

I might even add a piece of plexiglass at the ends to act as short term security though.

Pete,

Glad to help - shame I can't take credit for the idea though!

Does work a treat though.

Sounds like a good idea to add a piece of plexiglass. You could still isolate the track section at the end to prevent running into the plexiglass.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks again Richard.

I am thinking plexiglass (removable for pics) and the other end a 'marc smith special' mirror...to extend the length of the dries.

Lets see how it maps out...can't start the trackwork to mid August so am still in the planning stage at present.

And drooling over some of the latest 0 micros on the forum... :yes:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Update

Not so much in what I have built...more what I have bought :D

On my recent trip back to the UK I collected a numbered of parcels having accumulated at my parents house:

First up, 3 x C+L turnout in a bag kits...I think these would be a good intro into the world of 7mm...and plain rail (cut in half to fit hand luggage)

post-3290-0-26442800-1345368159.jpg

Secondly, some sleepers, chairs and also Deb's track gauges...decision made...it's 31.5mm for me...

post-3290-0-46401700-1345368215.jpg

Lastly...and not really for this project, 3 Lima Mk I's via E-Bay and an Easybuild MK I coach kit...

post-3290-0-52467900-1345368343.jpg

The coaches were bought when my 7mm urge was bouncing between continuing with Wenford or having a go at Kyle, however these and the class 26 conversion kit for my Lima 33 will sit in the gloat box for the future.

Why am I showing all this? Good question...It's to show my commitment to this project and although I have a small 2mmFS boxfile layout to build and complete for an exhibition next May, I intend to make some small steps with the 7mm stuff.

With the economic situation in Spain getting worse, we are now thinking about a possible return to the UK :O so making an immediate start on a 7mm layout may not be the smartest decision until we know what we are doing. That said, there may be a transition period where I am working in the UK midweek, returning to Spain at the weekends and I may need one or two projects to keep me busy during the evenings...7mm in a bedsit? ;)

Edited by bcnPete
  • Like 5

Update

Not so much in what I have built...more what I have bought :D

....With the economic situation in Spain getting worse, we are now thinking about a possible return to the UK :O so making an immediate start on a 7mm layout may not be the smartest decision until we know what we are doing. That said, there may be a transition period where I am working in the UK midweek, returning to Spain at the weekends and I may need one or two projects to keep me busy during the evenings...7mm in a bedsit? ;)

Nice collection of bits n pieces there Pete....

Have you seen my pal Wenlock's blog re his 7mm stuff?

He's been busy building points, using the ply sleepers

- in 31.5mm gauge

I can confirm there's no rocking over the crossing vee :)

(think he got the gauges from Debs too....)

Sorry the situation in Spain is getting worse :(

Hope it picks up again....... but it doesn't seem great anywhere at the mo....

Re your bedsit question -

nah, gauge 1 in a bedsit is more of a challenge!

;)

Cheers

Marc

• Like 1

Hi Pete,

Have a go at Kyle, I have a few 7mm bits and fancy doing something Scottish myself I already have a Lima class 33 and conversion kit for 26/7 I will build it one day but at the moment its gathering dust under Llanbourne. I have seen some Lima MK1s detailed up and they look pretty good with a bit of work.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice collection of bits n pieces there Pete....

Have you seen my pal Wenlock's blog re his 7mm stuff?

He's been busy building points, using the ply sleepers

- in 31.5mm gauge

I can confirm there's no rocking over the crossing vee :)

(think he got the gauges from Debs too....)

Sorry the situation in Spain is getting worse :(

Hope it picks up again....... but it doesn't seem great anywhere at the mo....

Re your bedsit question -

nah, gauge 1 in a bedsit is more of a challenge!

Marc, hi - thanks for this.

Yes, I have been following Wenlock's blog...some wonderful wagon builds there too :yes:

In terms of Spain, people have been saying it will get better...for the last 4 years...but it seems to be getting worse :( Perhaps we came 20 years too early...as if I was nearing retirement, perhaps we could get by...but with two boys to educate...living hand to mouth is no fun. Although UK and other countries are also suffering, I have a few contacts in the UK...so hopefully I can reawaken something.

On a more positive note :yes: I am really enjoying the whole 7mm thing, reading up on all the small layouts on here and generally trying to get a feel for the scale - I have a Slaters 7mm Brakevan kit which might be a nice intro project sometime. Keep up the inspiring work Marc...you never know, I might get to finally see one of your layouts if we relocate ;)

Have a go at Kyle, I have a few 7mm bits and fancy doing something Scottish myself I already have a Lima class 33 and conversion kit for 26/7 I will build it one day but at the moment its gathering dust under Llanbourne. I have seen some Lima MK1s detailed up and they look pretty good with a bit of work.

Hi Peter - Thanks also - I was very tempted by Kyle...and still am, but in the end I have decided to start with the Wenford layout as shuffling around a few clay hoods with an 08 seems to be a nice starting point. then I can plan for Kyle or Thurso at a later date...am still tempted to start that class 26 conversion though...especially having seen this 27 recently from the Lima 33:

http://www.westernthunder.co.uk/index.php?threads/conversion-of-lima-33.1786/#post-41970

Edited by bcnPete
  • Like 1