The 'Wells Fargo' Blue Pullman Standby Set...

Rugd1022

Hopefully this should be an easy one for the Pullman officianados amongst us... can anyone please identify the five Pullman vehicles in this classic Michael Mensing shot taken at Solihull in 1962, also the two Mk1s, are they FOs...? And one final question, which Hornby 4mm Pullmans could be used to replicate this wonderful period piece..?

Thanks in anticipation...

post-7638-0-75331700-1505475373_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

From the Railway Observer, December 1961:

"The spare steam set kept at Old Oak to cover breakdowns and maintenance of the diesels is formed of Cars 27, 249, 169, 54, Cecilia and standard FOs W3093/4, all in Pullman umber and cream livery."  I believe that it acquired the nickname "Wells Fargo".

All you need now is for a real Pullman expert to answer the question about whether Hornby Pullmans can be used to replicate the formation.

Chris 

Edited by chrisf
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

From the Railway Observer, December 1961:

"The spare steam set kept at Old Oak to cover breakdowns and maintenance of the diesels is formed of Cars 27, 249, 169, 54, Cecilia and standard FOs W3093/4, all in Pullman umber and cream livery."  I believe that it acquired the nickname "Wells Fargo".

All you need now is for a real Pullman expert to answer the question about whether Hornby Pullmans can be used to replicate the formation.

Chris 

There's a list of Pullman Cars on this site. You may get an dodgy message depending on what anti-virus you are using. MacAffee doesn't like it but others usually let it through.

http://www.britishrailways.info/pullman_cars.htm. It notes cars allocated to the spare BP sets.

As far as I can see the set mentioned by Chris included two 1923 Brakes which went into LNER stock, 27 (numbered 80 until 1928) and 54. Others were 169 on SR from 1924 (was Viking until 1947), 249 on SR from 1925 (was Pearl until 1947) and Cecilia on SR from 1927. 

Eric

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

I ran the gauntlet of McAfee and visited the site recommended by The Signal Engineer.  A chord was struck, in that as I scrolled down I found references to the cars [re]named after rivers to make a second set, which I had forgotten when diving for the Railway Observers.  Perhaps I should carry on rummaging to learn more.  It must have been a bad day to have both spares in service.

Chris

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Going back to the OP's question, it looks like there is some flexibility in recreating the Wells Fargo set.

Incidentally, does anyone know where that name arose? Did the set ever get used elsewhere when it was not required on the Birmingham Pullman?

• RMweb Gold

Going back to the OP's question, it looks like there is some flexibility in recreating the Wells Fargo set.

Incidentally, does anyone know where that name arose? Did the set ever get used elsewhere when it was not required on the Birmingham Pullman?

I understand the crews came up with it because it was rather an old fashioned train, a bit like something out of the wild west, compared with the Blue Pullmans.  The term was definitely in everyday use among WR staff.  I know the set was also used to Bristol but I don't know if it was used on the South Wales Pullman although it probably was - I certainly saw it in use on the GWML.

• Like 1

I understand the crews came up with it because it was rather an old fashioned train, a bit like something out of the wild west, compared with the Blue Pullmans.  The term was definitely in everyday use among WR staff.  I know the set was also used to Bristol but I don't know if it was used on the South Wales Pullman although it probably was - I certainly saw it in use on the GWML.

South Wales Pullman at Newport in July 1961. Not sure if that is the Wells Fargo set.

33622047176_d22e620cea_b.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I believe the name comes from the TV show "Tales of Wells Fargo"  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_of_Wells_Fargo which was imported by the BBC and shown from 1957. The show featured Stagecoaches a lot - something Wells Fargo (the bank) were famous for. 

Rob

• RMweb Premium

From Pullman by Julian Morel:

There were two Wells Fargo sets. The requirements for the trains were:

car A seats 30

car B seats 30 (with kitchen)

car C seats 42

car D seats 42 (with Kitchen)

car E seats 42

car F seats 30 (with Kitchen)

car G seats 30

Giving a total of 246 seats.

They were formed of second class cars, refurbished, renovated and given names, they compared badly to the Blue Pullmans and brough many passenger complaints.

The cars that were modified and given running names for the standby trains were:

Pullman schedule, new name,      former running number         type

188                        Avon                66                                          Parlour 1926

226                        Ceteia              73                                          Parlour 1928

210                        Hebe                105                                        Kitchen 1927

227                        Melandra          74                                          Parlour 1928

215                        Severn             60                                          Kitchen 1928

211                        Thalia               106                                        Kitchen 1927

216                        Thames            61                                          Kitchen 1928

212                        Thetis               107                                        Kitchen 1927

193                        Wye                  35                                         Parlour 1926

(the cars were planned to be interchangeable between the LM and W regions.)

Cars 105, 106 and 107 (originally Marcelle, Sybil and Kathleen) were converted in 1941 from 1st to 3rds, and were originally built in 1927.

Hope this helps!

Andy G

The South Wales Pullman was running before the blue diesel sets were introduced, from 1958 IIRC (proviso; I don't always), and presumably used some of this stock.  A Castle job.

'The Red Dragon..' has a photo of the last steam-hauled 'South Wales Pullman', on 8th September 1961.

Vehicles were:-

Car 54; Aurelia; Zena; Cecilia; Diamond; Car 35; Car 171: and Car 55.

Loco was 4090, Dorchester Castle. Nominally a Neath engine, as Landore had closed, and was under reconstruction.as a diesel depot.

• RMweb Premium

The South Wales Pullman was running before the blue diesel sets were introduced, from 1958 IIRC (proviso; I don't always), and presumably used some of this stock.  A Castle job.

According to Morel, the South Wales Pullman started 27th June 1955, departing Padd at 09.55, arr Swansea 1400, calling Newport, Cardiff, Port Talbort and Neath. Return was 1635 arriving Padd at 2045. Car Diamond accommodated the Daffodil Bar, which had an attractive lady attendant in Pullman uniform.....

Andy G

• Like 1

And one final question, which Hornby 4mm Pullmans could be used to replicate this wonderful period piece..?

As always with early wooden-bodied Pullmans which were constantly rebuilt, it depends how accurate you want to be.

.Car 27:  Available as Hornby R4430. 8-wheel. Correct conversion to Brake. Correct flush sides & late crest for 1960s.  But - modelled with incorrect number of windows.

Car 249: Not available. 8 wheel 30-seat third class kitchen, fairly similar in layout to Car 169 (below) which you might get away with renumbering.

Car 169: Available from Hornby Bournemouth Belle Set R2300. 8-wheel. Correct flush sides & late crest. Good model (Hornby R4424 version has older matchboard sides.)

Cecilia: Available from Hornby Golden Arrow Set R2369. 8-wheel. Correct layout. But - incorrect matchboard sides, early crest and Arrows glued to sides.

Car 54: Available as Hornby R4166A. 8-wheel. Correct conversion to Brake. Correct flush sides and late crest for 1960s. But - incorrect number of windows.