RMweb

12 Wheel Pullmans + Bournemouth Belle train pack

kiltedsignaller

You'd then need a Chocolate & Cream (WR) liveried BG as well, since towards the end they had replaced the life-expired Pullman Brakes. Bachmann 39-179B is shown as due June/July.

Ah yes.. Thanks for reminding me brushman47544.

The BR Std. BGs had started to appear, on the odd occasion, from as early as 1957. Sometimes in Green, sometimes lined Maroon, with one or two instances of one added to a normal Pullman brake ended formation.

It was during the latter half of 1964, and into '65 that the Chocolate & Cream BGs appeared. (W 81050 / W 81510). There's a couple of pics, taken in Sept. and Oct. '66, showing the train running with Blue / Grey BGs.

Another W.Reg. Cl.47 also noted hauling the 'Belle was D 1686, in May '66.

This loco and Nos. D 1921-6 were among those loaned by W.Reg. and shedded at Eastleigh.

Cheers.

P.S. Edit. Just found a '67 photo of D 1719 in two tone Green with FYE hauling a lined Maroon BG + 'Belle'. A similar formation to the final train on 9/7/67, hauled by D 1924.

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

My Bournemouth Belle set arrived today here in NZ, very nice excpet the loco is missing a footstep.

Loose in the box was this flat metal plate about 10 mm across, any idea what it is for or where it should go ?

4527335681_6ce1c96eee_o.jpg

yours in wonderment.

Roger

Hi all

My Bournemouth Belle set arrived today here in NZ, very nice excpet the loco is missing a footstep.

Loose in the box was this flat metal plate about 10 mm across, any idea what it is for or where it should go ?

yours in wonderment.

Roger

Hi Roger,

Very strange ?

Taking a wild guess, it could be the box mounting for an individually boxed loco, as these are generally metal. Why it's that shape though ?, beats me.

I've had a good look round my AtG (without taking it apart) and can't find anything that remotely resembles it.

The separate bagged items supplied with my pack are :-

Bag 1.

Brake rodding, buffer beam vac/steam piipes, fire irons, 2 parts to make 1 Hornby coupling (all Black plastic), Cylinder ejector pipes (Copper painted plastic).

Bag 2.

Pair of replacement, flanged, wheels for the loco's rear truck.

Bag 3.

Pair of etched metal / colour printed head & tail boards.

Bag 4.

7 off alternative close couplings.

Loose.

1 off Hornby coupling, Operating & Maintenance Instructions.

Though NO plastic sleeve or instructions for DCC fitting, this time, unlike previous Hornby locos.

Regards, Ceptic.

P.S. Sorry to hear about the broken step. It might be worth giving the retailer/supplier, (UK or otherwise), or even Hornby, an e-mail, to see what they've got to say.

I've had one or two instances, recently, regarding the inadequate packaging from a certain retailer, here in the UK.

• RMweb Premium

Well I have all the bags listed by Ceptic and there is a DCC sleeve and instruction bag as well/

I have emailed Hornby, my experience in the past has been they will say take it back, bit difficult and expensive to post the whole set NZ to UK and back... Might look at etched brass replacements if Hornby don't come though.

I've also noticed the cab vent is different from my other Britannias, 70000 and 70038 have 6.5mm wide roof vents, 70009 has a 10 mm wide one....

I don't think the U shaped bit is a bracket as it is so small and quite thin, the ones on the N15 etc are L shaped bent the other way, I can't see an equivalent on my other models, it is a bit of a mystery.

Roger

The u shaped plate is part of the pony truck frame from the Britannia- it's not just a plastic moulding. Maybe it's come away from one side.

Ah,.. Yes, Well spotted Doubleslip.

I see it now. It's pressed? in to surround the axle box above and each side / open at the bottom.

Well done.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks doubleslip, that's exactly what it is.

Out with the glue tonight.

Still no reply from Hornby, my experience has been mixed with them, good service one time, no reply the next, "send it back" another time which is a problem NZ to UK and back again.

Never mind, I'll sort out the missing step somehow.

Just noticed the service sheet is the version with the decoder socket in the loco.....

Roger

Thanks doubleslip, that's exactly what it is.

Out with the glue tonight.

Still no reply from Hornby, my experience has been mixed with them, good service one time, no reply the next, "send it back" another time which is a problem NZ to UK and back again.

Never mind, I'll sort out the missing step somehow.

Just noticed the service sheet is the version with the decoder socket in the loco.....

Roger

Hi Roger,

Purely out of interest, Did you purchase your pack directly from Hornby?, or from a UK retailer?

What I'm thinking, is that it's down to the seller to provide both way return P&P costs, in the case of faulty goods. I know Hattons do this, for,and including their overseas, customers.

Once upon a time, Hornby used to include a list of their overseas agents with their products.

If you look in on Hornby's website / Customer Support / Stockist/Distributor, it shows this NZ address :-

Promaster Ltd.,

PO Box 18-263,

Glen Innes,

Auckland,

New Zealand.

Tel. 0064 95270122

It might be worth giving them a call.

Regards, Frank.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ceptic

the set came from the UK, I'll work out how much I saved if i see one here but it would be at least 2/3rds the cost.

I don't think the local importer would be too interested in helping, still no reply from Hornby either.

But even when I do buy locally it's not easy. I had a Bachmann N with a limp, the local shop took it back and the importer supplied a new one but it had a different number. He had run out of the one I wanted. The new one also had a limp so I ended up with the first one. Actually that was the one that then had the bad mazak footplate that broke up, at least Bachmann replaced that eventually.

A friend had a Britannia from Hattons which lost a driving wheel on its first circuit ! He got it replaced and postage refunded so I know they are good at doing that.

Roger

Hi all

yours in wonderment.

Roger

this photo may help you

OzzyOpost-8920-127184871642_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I notice that the proposed set of three accompanying coaches to the Bournemouth Belle includes Car No 45, described as Third Class Kitchen. According to A M Ford, it was very different from the First Class Kitchen, and so a fourth bodyshell will be necessary; to begin with, the doors are flush with the sides, and not cut up into the roof. It started life "used by the LNER as a Restaurant Car", but it is accurately included in the Bournemouth Belle consist.

I wonder: does the double-spread photograph on page 82/83 of the 2010 Catalogue hold a clue?? rolleyes.gif

Hi All

The R4381 B/Belle Coach Pack is now coming on stream.

Hornby have it listed in their July new releases (No illustration),

Hattons have them, and are posting to customers (No illustration).

Only Kernow Model Rail Centre show a pic. of the box.

http://www.kernowmod...elle_Coach_Pack

The box cover shows that Car No.45, a Third Class Kitchen, is, indeed a fourth new moulding.

Well spotted, That Man !!!

Cheers.

• RMweb Premium

Quick question: is the 12 wheel 'Sunbeam' a parlour or a kitchen car?

Edit: I've answered my own question. The Kernow image of the box for the set shows Sunbeam as a parlour car, meaning Hornby have done at least five different bodyshells: Brake 3rd, Kitchen 1st, Parlour 1st, Kitchen 3rd and Parlour 3rd, of which as of writing and as far as I can tell, two only appear in set R4381: the Parlour 1st and the Kitchen 3rd!

:blink:

• Agree 1

Can anyone post pictures of the 12-wheel Pullmans please?

Hello Mr.G.

These are the three 12-wheelers included in Hornby's R2819 'B/Belle Train Pack'

post-7009-127817728453_thumb.jpg

post-7009-127817735609_thumb.jpg

post-7009-127817744737_thumb.jpg

post-7009-12781775116_thumb.jpg

Third Class Brake Car No.94

post-7009-127817838643_thumb.jpg

post-7009-12781784445_thumb.jpg

post-7009-127817848603_thumb.jpg

post-7009-12781785722_thumb.jpg

Third Class Parlour Car No.96.

post-7009-127817875326_thumb.jpg

post-7009-127817889524_thumb.jpg

post-7009-127817903625_thumb.jpg

post-7009-127817909229_thumb.jpg

First Class Kitchen Car 'MALAGA'

These are 'straight owt t' box' and the only ones I've got, at the moment. Aren't they brilliant ?

Good to hear from yer. Cheers.

• Like 1

Hornby's latest update and Kernow's newsletter both now showing the add-on coach pack. I've had mine pre-ordered since the beginning of the year so it shouldn't be long now ... cool.gif

• RMweb Gold

Hornby's latest update and Kernow's newsletter both now showing the add-on coach pack. I've had mine pre-ordered since the beginning of the year so it shouldn't be long now ... cool.gif

Looks like you made a very smart move - see the last few items in this thread!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/16236-new-Hornby-products/page__st__100

Thanks very much Ceptic for responding to my request for pictures and for posting them. My, don't they look a treat. I saw coach No.45 (Kitchen Third) and so presume this is in a different pack.

Some serious financial thinking now going on....

Quick question: is the 12 wheel 'Sunbeam' a parlour or a kitchen car?

Edit: I've answered my own question. The Kernow image of the box for the set shows Sunbeam as a parlour car, meaning Hornby have done at least five different bodyshells: Brake 3rd, Kitchen 1st, Parlour 1st, Kitchen 3rd and Parlour 3rd, of which as of writing and as far as I can tell, two only appear in set R4381: the Parlour 1st and the Kitchen 3rd!

blink.gif

Hi Ian J.

If you compare Car No. 96 (Parlour 3rd.) with 'Sunbeam' (Parlour 1st.), you can see that both have the same body mouldings. Hornby have pulled a Pullman on us biggrin.gif , and re-classed a 1st., into a 3rd, which happened quite a lot with the prototypes.

Getting confusing already, ain't it ?

Regards.

Thanks very much Ceptic for responding to my request for pictures and for posting them. My, don't they look a treat. I saw coach No.45 (Kitchen Third) and so presume this is in a different pack.

Some serious financial thinking now going on....

My pleasure Coachmann, and yes, Car No.45 is a new moulding, and is included in the R4381 B/Belle Coach Pack.

Cheers.

P.S. Edit.

You will have to get in quick with these, as they seem to be selling like 'ot cakes.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ian J.

If you compare Car No. 96 (Parlour 3rd.) with 'Sunbeam' (Parlour 1st.), you can see that both have the same body mouldings. Hornby have pulled a Pullman on us biggrin.gif , and re-classed a 1st., into a 3rd, which happened quite a lot with the prototypes.

Getting confusing already, ain't it ?

Regards.

:blush: I didn't realise that, oops. I'll see it more obviously when I see the coaches side-by-side.