Inspired by Crianlarich

BoD

1 hour ago, 03060 said:

I also thought that Glenuig was a super layout when I saw it at Wigan a few years back, I must have gone back for another viewing at least twice and even considered trying to do an '0' Gauge version, bought a Heljan Class 26 to try out but didn't have the space in the end, so I can definitely understand your thinking.

I think from what I can see that this will bring both you and us a lot of pleasure. Looking forward to watching it develop.

Best wishes,

Ian.

we must have been at the same show in Wigan Ian. I spoke to Gary at length about his layout. A huge inspiration for my own.

Warren has made a wonderful start. I’m loving that Mallaig extension classic building. I’m genuinely excited by this build.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

And so to move on.....

Last year I started to make an effort on the scenery.  Rather than work on particular areas one at a time to completion I decided  was going to work from back to front so that I would not be leaning over completed work.  It looked strange (and still does) but hopefully It will all blend in to the big picture eventually.

P1070177.jpg.bee1d0cb5f80e73228941da993705916.jpg

P1070173.jpg.f83eec21fc8e99f6a2e9d940a6a75cc9.jpg

P1070181.jpg.7708a98f63e3528d4589ffe57859405b.jpg

All just a bit messy.

P1070182.jpg.3b544eedf1331733b98ce0fd5ea002c1.jpg

P1070171.jpg.fe3a810c8b55a1b9bbf72af4610178f7.jpg

This was the point at which I started to realise I was moving further and further away from Crianlarich and became somewhat disillusioned.

However after a bit play as suggested I decided to to work on the backscene.  Should have been the first thing I know but there you go.

You thought it was messy before...

P1070206.jpg.6a1d773187a69c4bdb6ed0a919e478ed.jpg

P1070207.jpg.e27427a74d81e698414fdbd881b11832.jpg

The masking tape has already started to come away but it has already served its purpose. 

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

The effect of adding landscape is transformational I find, it looks much the same here.

I recognise some of those rock mould shapes! Have you tried cutting them?; I have found doing so a useful way to create different shapes and sizes whilst avoiding repetition. 

Please keep the posts showing the layouts evolution coming, it is always useful to watch how someone else works and potentially learn from their techniques.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, young37215 said:

I recognise some of those rock mould shapes! 

They do get about don't they.   I've still got half a ton (or so it seems) of casting plaster left too, so they will be around for a while longer.  

A small Narrow gauge quarry layout as a diversion? Stop being a silly bu$$er, Warren.

2 hours ago, young37215 said:

Have you tried cutting them?;

Yes, but with mixed success.   To achieve some variation I use some of my own moulds.  Very high tech stuff. Use a biscuit or Roses chocolates tin lid, preferably after consuming the contents. Scrumple up some tin foil, more in a fan shape to give parallel strata rather than a ball, line the biscuit tin and pour in your plaster. Can be a bit hit and miss but more often than not it produces useable rock faces.

Here is an example of how I used them on a layout I built some twenty years ago.

bridges3.jpg.470918c9b7195fb79099a4e224b06906.jpg

Probably not as good, overall, as the woodland scenic moulds but more than adequate when used to give a bit of variation.

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/06/2023 at 09:31, BoD said:

On 23/06/2023 at 06:59, young37215 said:

Have you tried cutting them?;

Yes, but with mixed success.

I have found that allowing the plaster to dry for days/weeks makes the cutting much easier. Once dried a few passes with a tenon saw makes short work of the cutting but a mess of the saw!  

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

My side is improving but movement is still a wee bit painful, so,  I’m sitting at the workbench contemplating the oversize roof ribs of some Bachmann Mk1s.   Do I try to reduce them or is life too short?  

I’m interested in hearing other’s approach to these ribs. Have you decided to just live with them?  If not, how have you gone about reducing them?  

All bar 3 of my fleet of mk1s are still boxed while awaiting a fiddle yard to sit in. I will work through mine once they are required. The steps will definitely be going but I keep changing my mind about the ribs. Life is a fairly short journey though 🤔

Good to hear you’re improving Warren.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, BoD said:

My side is improving but movement is still a wee bit painful, so,  I’m sitting at the workbench contemplating the oversize roof ribs of some Bachmann Mk1s.   Do I try to reduce them or is life too short?  

I’m interested in hearing other’s approach to these ribs. Have you decided to just live with them?  If not, how have you gone about reducing them?  

I followed the 'life is too short' approach to the ribs although I do feel compelled to remove the top 3 of the 5 steps on coach ends. This is sufficiently soul destroying to convince me that my approach to the ribs was the correct one.  A coat of roof dirt or similar weathering colour on the coach roof goes some way to dampening the visibility of the ribs. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I have started to do my Mark 1s (Kitmaster did a far better roof than the Bachmann Mk1s have).  I use an exacto small chisel blade. hot tip.. iue a bit of very fine wet and dry to compleetly finish it and work away from the toof vents/edges.

I repainted the roof then used a very very fine bit of wet and dry.. it results in a typical Mark 1 "Scabby roof".

Baz

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

If you look closely at Mk 1 coach roofs, they do have noticeable ribs, just not as prominent as on the Bachmann ones...

http://www.theaylesburynews.com/images/BR Mk1 FK W13311 Bristol TM 4-5-84.jpg

So my approach is to leave just a trace of the rib (i.e. don't rub it down too much)...

Mk1closeup.jpg.cb6e85a8cd519a96cdea9b7cc81ac3a7.jpg

MK1b.jpg.92956c4f64576c51f2749d39306e60ba.jpg

Although it's a tedious job, I think it makes a big difference to the overall look of the coach.

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

By the way, should have said - sorry to hear about your tumble. Hope you get better soon.

This is a very nice looking layout and coming along very nicely indeed. I love the weathering on the engineers wagons and the scenery is starting to come together now. And what's not to love about the Crianlarich area? (well, OK maybe the midges at times, but apart from that!).

I look forward to your seeing developments and some more piccies.

Cheers

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 1

This layout is looking fantastic and full of west highland atmosphere. I’m not sure how it’s escaped my Scotrail trained eye! 

My own layout is set on a twice proposed but never built (of course!) line running from north of Tulloch and roughly following the route by Ben Alder , a fine Munro I might add, via Loch Ericht to the central highland line.  Unbelievable that a similar scheme was even muted as late as 1970!  Of course, in my world Meanach was built early 1900s . 

With regards the back , you have my empathy. I tore my back ligaments lifting a heavy plant pot 3 weeks ago. I can barely move. More frustrating is that I have all this spare modelling time but can’t get in the loft! So I’m reduced to arm chair modelling , eagerly following everyone’s updates on here! 

A new Accurascale 37 would look superb with your brilliant buildings ; ) 

Slainte  Mhath ! 
Ian 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, meanach said:

A new Accurascale 37 would look superb with your brilliant buildings ; ) 

It's funny that you should mention that...

A couple are winging their way in this direction even as we speak.   Hopefully they won't put the existing fleet too much to shame, I don't think I could justify replacing them all. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 30/06/2023 at 17:23, BoD said:

A couple are winging their way in this direction even as we speak.   Hopefully they won't put the existing fleet too much to shame, I don't think I could justify replacing them all. 

They are very nice and a step up but I don't find that they make the Bachmann model look out of place. Hopefully you will reach a similar conclusion for the sake of your bank account....

• Agree 2

I’m in total agreement with @young37215 here. The older Bachmann model is a great model. It stands up well to the new kid on the block. The Accurascale improvements are everywhere but the old bachy tractors are not made to look like they need replacement thankfully. 

Warren, I can see where you’re heading and I like it. Can we come along too?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I was making the statement about replacing the whole fleet with my tongue slightly in my cheek.  I agree the later iterations of the Bachmann 37s are quite good enough for me and my, now deteriorating eyesight,  I’ve had cataracts removed from both eyes, have had a detached retina and suffer from glaucoma. I hope I’m modelling for a  few years yet but I consider this a bonus.  

I’ve never had sufficient knowledge to pick out all the faults on models in the way that some people can. It’s a case of ignorance is bliss I suppose.

Tomorrow I will dig out 37026 Loch Awe and compare it with Loch Eil - purely out of interest.  The moths that live in my wallet need not be worried.

Look after your eyes people - they are most precious.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold

I have had a chance to look at Loch Eil compared to Bachman’s Loch Awe and you are correct Rob, it is a step up mostly with additional details and an overall finer moulding.  Funnily enough though there are some aspects of the Bachmann model I prefer and I agree with you and Andy that  it stands up well and the Bachmann models most certainly deserve their place on the layout.

It may be just me but I got the overall impression that the Accurascale model was smaller and less bulky in many respects than the Bachmann version. Without knowing the actual measurements of the real things it will be impossible to say if that is the case or just an illusion due to the finer moulding.  

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Out of curiosity, are you comparing the new tooling 20022 Bachmann 37 to the Accurascale model ? If so, there isn’t much between them. If it’s the older model then there’s quite a big difference.

Both companies new models have larger , accurate windows. (The Bachmann a tiny bit better but not as good glazing!) The tumble home is now correct. The radiator fan grill also a lot better than before. The bogies are a massive improvement and are now the correct ride height on both. The water and fuel tanks were almost ‘an artist’s impression before. They are now accurate on both.

For us Scottish modellers the Bachmann ploughs are abysmal. Ironically the Accurascale ones fit better to the Bachmann 37. With regards to sound though , there is no comparison. The Bachmann one sounds awful. Legomanbiffo has a friend who will mill the chassis out and fit a decent size bass speaker and better sugar cube , but that all adds to the expense of an already more costly model. I note that the original 2022 Bachmann 37/4s (401,423, 430) and 37034 are now all available at Accurascale prices at many retailers! 
Ian 

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, meanach said:

Out of curiosity, are you comparing the new tooling 20022 Bachmann 37 to the Accurascale model ? If so, there isn’t much between them. If it’s the older model then there’s quite a big difference.

It was 37026 Loch Awe I was comparing, so yes, the Accurascale model is better in many ways.  And  Loch Awe is much, much better than the original 37/4s

For the sake of my wallet though, I will live with the Bachmann ones.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

And so to push on now that I've decided to continue and make the best of it.

This morning has been a chicken wire and modroc sort of morning

modroc3.jpg.88942a48b4646db9cf3828bb7d5f31f4.jpg

modroc1.jpg.221236bd70b48b35a8f11d1cbf3d84d9.jpg

The purpose of this is two fold. Firstly to create a scenic break between the main station to the left and the branch station/quayside  to the right, and secondly to eventually frame the entry into the station (from the south) in a similar way to that at Crianlarich.

modroc2.jpg.a95fedf5e9469dd54ce827b299ae7965.jpg

• Like 15