Inspired by Crianlarich

BoD

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, BoD said:

I must not buy Loch Awe.... I must not buy Loch Awe ......

Ok, Ive got the will power of a whelk.

P1070043.jpg.0f489b6f26566252fcaadb2eb63d7bde.jpg

With thanks to Rob @young37215 for the heads up sourcing it.

same as me..  I must not build more wagons.. that worked well..not!

Baz

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Barry O said:

same as me..  I must not build more wagons.. that worked well..not!

Baz

We know a few who would say that you can never have too many wagons.

• Like 2

• BoD changed the title to Crianlarich (Even Further Up) .... Class 37s minus 10.
  • RMweb Gold

I've not been idle. Apart from working on the landscape I have been adapting and detailing stock.  

Just in case any of the 37s fail there has to be a stand in...

P1070049.jpg.a26c57f8b7cf4565d472a96d803cd3bb.jpg

All  seen on the WHL in Verden-Anderson's Diesels in Scotland.  It also means I can run the layout based on the scene a few years earlier.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

The title reminded me of an exciting winter weekend trip to Scotland on the SLOA pullmans.  It was far colder than minus 10, the steam heating pipes on the coaches froze, then did the water in the toilets (cue station stop to let everyone go), eventually the diesel fuel in one of the 37s froze and the loco failed. We still made it with the other 37 doing all the work.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, BoD said:

I've not been idle. Apart from working on the landscape I have been adapting and detailing stock.  

Just in case any of the 37s fail there has to be a stand in...

P1070049.jpg.a26c57f8b7cf4565d472a96d803cd3bb.jpg

All  seen on the WHL in Verden-Anderson's Diesels in Scotland.  It also means I can run the layout based on the scene a few years earlier.

ere.. some one has snuck in and pinched 27007 chassis when you weren't watching @BoD :jester:

Nice work though!

Baz

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, apbolton said:

Hi Warren 

Just caught up with this, it's  looking really  good, come on a bit since the last photos I saw, hope you are well. 

Keep up the good work.

Paul 

We are all well, thanks Paul. Hope the same can be said of you.

The layout is coming along slowly but most of the buildings are complete and I'm now starting to work on the landscape and soon to start ballasting  - ugh.

I'm looking forward to hearing about the progress on yours too - whenever we can do that again.  I must admit I miss Corfe and all that.  You don't realise how much you enjoy something until it's not there.

Take care.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Barry O said:

ere.. some one has snuck in and pinched 27007 chassis when you weren't watching @BoD :jester:

Whoever pinched it kindly returned it like this...

P1070050.jpg.06ce9525434de7d7fbf12eee1bab77a0.jpg

Not a full complement of detail - there just isn't enough room -  but at least it gives the impression of 'something' being there.

• Like 7

Hi Warren  

Yes I am missing the Hall, been a volunteer for 25 years, never been away this long.

Graham very kindly  started a blog for my layout on here so you can have a look my progress its  Through Limestone Hills- Millers Dale and Monsal Head. 

Cheers paul 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The latest 27 didn't have a sound decoder so I purchased one from Legomanbiffo.  I ordered with a fuel tank speaker thinking that I would have to doctor the fuel tanks to fit it.  That wouldn't be a problem, I have a done a few installations like that.  However, the speaker came ready built into a resin (I think) casting of the fuel tanks which directly replace the originals.  That was a pleasant surprise as it made the instillation a simple task.

P1070053.jpg.681ce34af630173399cdbf0e4a491481.jpg

I think I am meant to paint them though.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, BoD said:

The latest 27 didn't have a sound decoder so I purchased one from Legomanbiffo.  I ordered with a fuel tank speaker thinking that I would have to doctor the fuel tanks to fit it.  That wouldn't be a problem, I have a done a few installations like that.  However, the speaker came ready built into a resin (I think) casting of the fuel tanks which directly replace the originals.  That was a pleasant surprise as it made the instillation a simple task.

P1070053.jpg.681ce34af630173399cdbf0e4a491481.jpg

I think I am meant to paint them though.

Your picture is the first I have seen of the replacement fuel tanks which have interested me for a while. I would love to hear how you get on with them and how the speaker compares with others you have used.  

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Here are my push pull 27s both fitted with DC Kits speaker tanks.  Don't ask what they sound like as I've not yet installed the speakers.  However, I have put a speaker tank on a 26 and it sounds excellent, but a similar job on a 33 hasn't been so successful as there is some hiss whenever the sound is on.

IMG_1433.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, young37215 said:

Your picture is the first I have seen of the replacement fuel tanks which have interested me for a while. I would love to hear how you get on with them and how the speaker compares with others you have used.  

Hi Rob.

The fuel tanks themselves are an exact replacement for the Heljan ones and match exactly in size.  Being resin I'm not sure that they quite as 'crisp' but once painted I'm not sure that you would particularly notice any difference.  Here is a closer look. I have already painted the ends. 

P1070054.jpg.c0f7097550debde9d14e2ee0695ce117.jpg

The speaker itself is, in my opinion, more than adequate.  It comes somewhere between the bass reflex/Earth mover type speakers and the more basic ones.  The sound is good and it has a decent bass grunt to it.  It compares well enough to all of the other speakers I have used. (I don't have any EMs to compare it with though).

P1070056.jpg.00294167de8f75aeb4ad2043c33659f7.jpg

My only minor gripe is that the fitted wires are quite heavy gauge and are quite inflexible.  I suppose I could have replaced them with finer wire and I might do so in the future.

P1070057.jpg.71957105f953627178c2a4eaa32644fe.jpg

The Heljan chassis has a clear gap between it and the body which makes fitting the whole thing a fairly straightforward procedure.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, ColinK said:

Here are my push pull 27s both fitted with DC Kits speaker tanks.  Don't ask what they sound like as I've not yet installed the speakers.  However, I have put a speaker tank on a 26 and it sounds excellent, but a similar job on a 33 hasn't been so successful as there is some hiss whenever the sound is on.

Those look good Colin

I have only fitted a class 27 project and am quite happy with it.  I wonder if the hiss is caused by the speaker or is an issue with the sound project.  I'm not up on the science of speakers or acoustics so don't know if it could be caused by the speaker and enclosure.  When I sound the horns with the main engine sound turned off there is a definite, albeit very quiet,  background hiss/noise noticeable immediately before and after the horn sounds but it is undetectable during full sound operation.   I suppose it is impossible to eliminate all background noise during recording/editing.

Having said that everyone's hearing levels and acoustic range is  different so it may be my ears are less sensitive than yours.  I do feel that some of Legomanbiffo's recent projects are recorded/installed at a lower overall volume than his earlier ones, but again that may be just me and my ears.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Barry O said:

of buggritt.. now Charley will convince me to fit sound to "Purley Oaks"

331671235_PurleyOaks1.JPG.a22b3dc5f19437277d6935b0a49ec9ef.JPG

Baz

Tell him he owes me commission then.

I'm sure his reaction would be calm and considered.

Lovely to see 'Purley Oaks' still with us in spirit.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Barry O said:

I have known Charley far too long to suggest commission for you...

Baz

I understand that he is from a part of the country where such suggestions are likely to bring about varying degrees of apoplexy.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, BoD said:

Hi Rob.

The fuel tanks themselves are an exact replacement for the Heljan ones and match exactly in size.  Being resin I'm not sure that they quite as 'crisp' but once painted I'm not sure that you would particularly notice any difference.  Here is a closer look. I have already painted the ends. 

P1070054.jpg.c0f7097550debde9d14e2ee0695ce117.jpg

The speaker itself is, in my opinion, more than adequate.  It comes somewhere between the bass reflex/Earth mover type speakers and the more basic ones.  The sound is good and it has a decent bass grunt to it.  It compares well enough to all of the other speakers I have used. (I don't have any EMs to compare it with though).

P1070056.jpg.00294167de8f75aeb4ad2043c33659f7.jpg

My only minor gripe is that the fitted wires are quite heavy gauge and are quite inflexible.  I suppose I could have replaced them with finer wire and I might do so in the future.

P1070057.jpg.71957105f953627178c2a4eaa32644fe.jpg

The Heljan chassis has a clear gap between it and the body which makes fitting the whole thing a fairly straightforward procedure.

Thanks Warren

It would be an interesting exercise to compare the fuel tank mounted speaker with the sealed units that I have installed. I dont doubt the fuel tank will be superior but I wonder by how much. I have got to the stage where I make a cost/benefit judgement now when deciding on what speaker to fit. On my class 37 fleet I am currently using a Zimo one that cost £20, they are not as good as EM2's but at 20% of the price, I think they are a decent and cost effective solution.   

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

It's the little things that seem to take the longest time.  I feel as if I have spent at least forever doing these ... both ends too.

P1070058.jpg.17b9a8a5816cf6c4815fab16985ac837.jpg

P1070059.jpg.997b8c8739854afdc7d659071f805198.jpg

Weathering shop next but I think I need to get back to the landscaping for a while. A change is as good as rest as they say.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, BoD said:

It's the little things that seem to take the longest time.  I feel as if I have spent at least forever doing these ... both ends too.

P1070058.jpg.17b9a8a5816cf6c4815fab16985ac837.jpg

P1070059.jpg.997b8c8739854afdc7d659071f805198.jpg

Weathering shop next but I think I need to get back to the landscaping for a while. A change is as good as rest as they say.

Nice work, the upgrades look first class. You are using wire loops to replace the tension locks which frees up space for snow ploughs as well as bufferbeam detailing. I have done similar in the past but found they increased derailments on WHL4. I reached the conclusion that the curvature of 2nd radius curves and a reverse curve in 3rd radius was too tight for loops. It is frustrating because I only used 2 second radius pieces of track, everything else is minimum 3rd radius or lower. Have you any experience of running using your loops?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Ah, couplings.  The cause of much naval gazing, wailing and gnashing of teeth. And not necessarily in that order.

Firstly the question of derailments caused by use of the loops.  I decided that when I started that, on the visible section at least, I would try to keep the curves as close to a minimum of 36” as I could.  I have mostly achieved this and even in the fiddle yard area the worst curve is slightly greater than 4th radius.  Having said that I still exhaustively tested the loops on each type of loco before fitting them across them all.  Fortunately they didn’t cause any problems. 

It is a great pity that they cause derailments on just so a small section of your layout Rob because, as you point out, it does improve the appearance of the loco being able to do away with the tension lock couplings. Even up close the loops are, when blackened, sometimes difficult to pick out.

As to the actual couplings that  I use on stock, well that is a topic in itself...

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I have the same loops on my Heljan 26`and Bachmann 37`s. On my hidden tracks I use 3rd radius curves and do not get derailments now. When first fitted yes, I did get annoying derailments but I experimented and lowered them a little and now all is OK. This means you have to also bend the coupling also to be slightly lower otherwise it just will not couple but a tweak with tweezers does the trick

Edited by class26
  • Informative/Useful 3