RMweb

"Western" nameplates

gauger13

Does anyone have the font for Western (D1000) nameplates as I am going to build a 7.25 inch one?

Warm welcome to RMWeb gauger... just out of interest, which one are you intending to model..? If you're doing D1000, don't forget that its nameplates were the same depth from top to bottom as the cabside numberplate, the others were all shallower, the dimensions are all in David Birt's excellent book, as mentioned by Tom.

• RMweb Premium

I don't think they were any particular font as we know them today, but there is probably something near. Back then there was no CAD-CAM or anything like, so was all handmade masters for the castings.

Dave

Haresnape states Egyptian Serif for Warships, and rather ambiguously, a 'grotesque' font for the Westerns 'plates.

I have my doubts, I have an extensive font library but no time to chore through it unfortunately.

There are font finder websites online which may help, have clear images of the font you're after and find closest match(es). I too suspect it to be a bespoke Swindon cut, so be prepared to use more than one font. Be aware too of kerning (spacing between letters).

C6T.

Warm welcome to RMWeb gauger... just out of interest, which one are you intending to model..? If you're doing D1000, don't forget that its nameplates were the same depth from top to bottom as the cabside numberplate, the others were all shallower, the dimensions are all in David Birt's excellent book, as mentioned by Tom.

Thanks - been in the RMWeb for a while but it's the first time I've used it for real.

I'm going for D1044 which also covers the best class of loco!.

It's a pity the Westerns weren't built by the ER you know where you are with Gill Sans.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...