Abbotswood and Norton Junctions - layout build

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Liam said:

The page headed ‘The Cotswolds’ sets out exactly what sort of buyer they’re after - not many estate agent information booklets tell you about the nearest hunts and polo clubs!

And of course details on which independent schools to send the children to, as Prince Henry’s High School in Evesham certainly won’t do…

And after 12 months of modelling in there you'll be down to a two foot square bench/tea tray in the corner of bedroom 8!

Mike.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

I do like the etched brass signals when they come out of the dishwasher all shiny and polished! 

IMG_0254.jpeg.955431802f4b9b779e3e92a9cc429e42.jpeg

This is a new up starter to Spetchley…. My good friend Viv Moss came up with a photo revealing a bracket, not home and distant on straight post as I had done it. 

Have also amended actuation mechanism…. Miniature servos directly under posts are too prone to failure so by extending the mechanism with legs to form a bracket with a crank at the bottom which is below the baseboard it means a bigger 9G servo can be mounted directly underneath the baseboard and linked to the crank.

Much easier to set up and also to change the servo if it fails … 

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

1 hour ago, Phil Bullock said:

I do like the etched brass signals when they come out of the dishwasher all shiny and polished! 

IMG_0254.jpeg.955431802f4b9b779e3e92a9cc429e42.jpeg

This is a new up starter to Spetchley…. My good friend Viv Moss came up with a photo revealing a bracket, not home and distant on straight post as I had done it. 

Have also amended actuation mechanism…. Miniature servos directly under posts are too prone to failure so by extending the mechanism with legs to form a bracket with a crank at the bottom which is below the baseboard it means a bigger 9G servo can be mounted directly underneath the baseboard and linked to the crank.

Much easier to set up and also to change the servo if it fails … 

You dare do that?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Well, at least the dishwasher will be useful for cleaning the knife the good Lady B has deposited in Lord Phils back!

Mike.

It is a risk but a good idea all the same. Maybe something I might try myself, when the coast is clear.

And as for his lordship, he does seem to like life on the edge.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

It’s also a great way to poach a whole salmon … wrapped in foil with butter and herbs. No dishwasher tablet of course even the lemon ones would be too much!!! 

So back to the layout …. On Mk1 we had a line of trees hiding where track came through the backscene. Looking at doing the same again …. Unless anyone knows of a better solution?? 

IMG_0257.jpeg.586df7f052e4601f9cdb09f78897361d.jpeg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

It’s also a great way to poach a whole salmon … wrapped in foil with butter and herbs. No dishwasher tablet of course even the lemon ones would be too much!!! 

So back to the layout …. On Mk1 we had a line of trees hiding where track came through the backscene. Looking at doing the same again …. Unless anyone knows of a better solution?? 

In the middle of the countryside there's not really much else you can do really, other than create an imaginary cutting, but that might look a bit silly.

Mike.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

In the middle of the countryside there's not really much else you can do really, other than create an imaginary cutting, but that might look a bit silly.

Mike.

Yep especially as the line was on an embankment! 😀 Had a thought of adding some greenery directly on to the backscene behind the trees Robbie d in …

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

I never thought of that although I've cooked a few on the exhaust manifold of a Landy and once or twice wired onto the silencer of a AFV 432. What setting do you use?

Regards Lez.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

I never thought of that although I've cooked a few on the exhaust manifold of a Landy and once or twice wired onto the silencer of a AFV 432. What setting do you use?

Regards Lez.  

AFV432 exhaust ??? Was a hand grenade involved? 😀 Proper poached!

Any way here’s advice from Alaska ….

Cook salmon in dishwasher

• RMweb Gold

I used to cook for my section in the field and we ran the 432 engine quite a bit even if we wern't on the move as we were command post so I used to use it for cooking, I made a cage from chicken wire and wrapped everything in foil and used the heat from the exhaust to cook lots of things, fish, meat, veggies and potatoes. Chicken a la tank was very popular as it happens, it did quite a good steak as well.  I made rissoles and wrapped them, cooked them on a 30 minuet move and then finished them off in a pan full of gravy when we got to the new location. I had an army cooking range as well but it could make things taste of petrol if you wern't very careful but using the exhaust of both the 432s and the Landy worked very well. Yes it was a bit heavy on the foil but good tasting food in the field was worth it's weight in gold.

Regards Lez. 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 2

1 hour ago, Phil Bullock said:

Forestry work today … 

IMG_0264.jpeg

IMG_0263.jpeg

How about putting a screen on the other side if the hole and beyond the tracks, painted the same blue? With the trees and a blue screen to eliminate the through light, the hole will be all but invisible.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

How about putting a screen on the other side if the hole and beyond the tracks, painted the same blue? With the trees and a blue screen to eliminate the through light, the hole will be all but invisible.

Great thought! Either blue or Green perhaps? 

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

Phil,

Any outings planned for this year?

Bob

Redditch 2/3rd March …. Possibly GWSR diesel gala in July … that’s it so far. You around at all? 

Edited by Phil Bullock

24 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Redditch 2/3rd March …. Possibly GWSR diesel gala in July … that’s it so far. You around at all? 

Somerset in June. WSR Diesel Gala. That's it but you know I like an opportunity.

• Like 1