Peco Bullhead Points: the reported facts

Regularity

• RMweb Gold

According to Larry, anything other than building models is “collecting”. I can only assume that he collects track.

But then again, he appears to have deleted the post I was responding to but hadn’t quoted.

Rather a poor show, that.

Always quote Larry's posts, the deletions and edits make a mess of threads sometimes.

This thread immediately brought to mind this.

Edited by chris p bacon
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Always quote Larry's posts, the deletions and edits make a mess of threads sometimes.

Ah. So best to simply ignore anything he says, other than factually verifiable, then?

One wonders why such behaviour is tolerated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiPe1OiKQuk

I never understood the fuss about that: makes perfect sense to me.

A wise person is aware of limitations on their knowledge, including the fact that not only do they not know everything, but that there are still opportunities to be taken completely by surprise.

• RMweb Premium

I know they have these nice new fishplates to connect this stuff up but is there a insulated equivalent for this ?

Getting back to the factual stuff, not as far as I know, I'm currently liaising with Peco on a regular basis and I'll try to remember to ask next time I speak with them.

The existing CD75 insulated fishplates work with no modification, and to improve the cosmetic look you could trim them back and perhaps overlay with C&L plastic plates or some made from microstrip. Neither of the cosmetic options would assist with robust rail end alignment.

• Like 1

And your point is...? ;)

That it is not going to turnout well?

Got to admire Peco must take a brave man to try and sell a new sort of frog in France, when the place is already hopping with them.

• RMweb Gold

That it is not going to turnout well?

Got to admire Peco must take a brave man to try and sell a new sort of frog in France, when the place is already hopping with them.

But it isn't. They have to import frozen frogs' legs from Eastern Europe presumably having previously consumed them at an unsustainable level.

So we have H0 being H0

Then H0 being H0/00

But now we have 00

But then again we have 00 being H0

So which ones are the Known, and which are the unknown, followed by the known unknown,  finally we have the unknown unknown

I think I am off to model GN15 which I guess is an unknown known unknown

• Like 1

Getting back to the factual stuff, not as far as I know, I'm currently liaising with Peco on a regular basis and I'll try to remember to ask next time I speak with them.

The existing CD75 insulated fishplates work with no modification, and to improve the cosmetic look you could trim them back and perhaps overlay with C&L plastic plates or some made from microstrip. Neither of the cosmetic options would assist with robust rail end alignment.

If the track is being stuck down then the Exactoscale plastic fishplates are fine, as are the metal version, these metal ones are much stronger but do not insulate. In my opinion these look better as they do not have the rail joiner underneath  

attachicon.gifNovember_Loco_Revue_2017.png

There been a lot said about the new bullhead points and track..but not only are they for the british market

Peco advert from this months Loco-Revue.

Gary

Gary

This put a big smile on my face this morning, how long will it take our friends the other side of the channel take to realise its fake H0 . One thing having cod wars with the Icelantics but track wars with the EU is another game totally. Mr Barnier will go spare that they are getting less sleepers per meter. First fake news from the UK now Fake H0, next we will be making better Champagne (some say we do already)    :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mr Barnier will go spare that they are getting less sleepers per meter. First fake news from the UK now Fake H0, next we will be making better Champagne (some say we do already)

Tsch, tsch. M. Barnier, fewer not less, and metre not meter (unless you are American.) :jester: Edited by Regularity

• RMweb Gold

Gary

This put a big smile on my face this morning, how long will it take our friends the other side of the channel take to realise its fake H0 . One thing having cod wars with the Icelantics but track wars with the EU is another game totally. Mr Barnier will go spare that they are getting less sleepers per meter. First fake news from the UK now Fake H0, next we will be making better Champagne (some say we do already)    :jester:

Of course we make better traditional method sparkling wine. And that's officially backed up by blind tasting results.

Remember too that it was invented (well, first documented) by an Englishman, not a French monk.

Gary

Well it would appear that what ever Peco do to the French with regards to 'fakeHO' gauge track there's going to be one hell of a row about ' dead frogs in isolation ' then again if you what to have them alive they will have to been electrified .....Oh dear I can't see this turning out in a good way .....

• Like 1

Right on a more serious note and in line with the current topic I have read through the review in the Railway Modeller as well as the article regarding

'What is a Unifrog' ( I will resist the temptation to crack a joke about 'Brexit' at this juncture.

Apart from seeing a sample bullhead turnout at Warley last year this is the first opportunity to actually see the produce in a finished state, and I would imagine that

the majority of people are in the same boat as myself. My first impression is very favourable and I'm saying that as an average modeller with a little experience of

building track work using both C&L and copper-clad. I like the fact that the timbers have been equalised in keeping with the track during the steam era and this

indicates that a degree of prototype thought has been put into the design of this range of track work. The changes to the tiebars are a major improvement in my humble

opinion and it does make a big difference to the appearance and along with some cosmetic point rodding will make a very neat job. The cleaver bit is the use of the 'Unifrog'

which aids the use of full point blades without the 'hinged' bit which makes a vast difference to the appearance as well making electrical sense. I would agree with the review

about loco's stalling in this area if the 'dead frog ' option is selected but to be fair any modeller laying this type of track is going to be likely to opt for fully powered

point work. Price wise at the recommended price of £32.50 each yes they are expensive compared to the other track work options from Peco but the appearance is so much

more authentic it's got to be worth it. I believe Hattons will be marketing them at £25 a piece which is a fair price and compared to the Marcway similar item which is

£47 it's not a bad price to be fair to Peco.

So .... 'its a yes from me' going to order a couple from Hattons just to see how they are in real life ....

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Tsch, tsch. M. Barnier, fewer not less, and metre not meter (unless you are American.) :jester:

John was right with "less".

Peco sell it by the yard, not metre. So if there are, say, 100 sleepers in a yard length, there will be 109.36 sleepers per metre. "Fewer" doesn't make sense with fractional amounts. "Less" is correct for sleepers per metre.

To some extent it depends how it is punctuated. Are you referencing the sleepers, or their frequency? Fewer sleepers, per metre. Less sleepers-per-metre.

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifNovember_Loco_Revue_2017.png

There been a lot said about the new bullhead points and track..but not only are they for the british market

Peco advert from this months Loco-Revue.

Gary

Well it certainly makes a change for Peco to be selling 00 track as H0 rather than the other way round.

Interesting that they are making a selling point of the UK manufacture.

Well it certainly makes a change for Peco to be selling 00 track as H0 rather than the other way round.

The French will appreciate that. More and things are appearing here with Made in France or the French flag on them. This would appear to be more an anti-Chinese made stance, than anything else, as they see that as a much greater threat to their industry than anyone else in Europe. On top of which M&S are back, and so are Union Jacks on T-shirts, and all that stuff.

• Like 1

...[snip]... I believe Hattons will be marketing them at £25 a piece which is a fair price and compared to the Marcway similar item which is

£47 it's not a bad price to be fair to Peco.

...[snip]....

If Hattons sell the new Peco bullhead points at £25 each then they will be cheaper than Marcway.  In fairness to Marcway, their OO and EM ranges of ready made point work have 36", 48", 54" and 60" radius points at £27.50 each.

http://marcway.net/list2.php?col=head&name=Marcway+00+%26+EM+Pointwork

• RMweb Premium

Post #22 indicated that some were seen in a shop on 20th Oct - has no one bought any yet?

There were two in the shop, at Monk Bar Models Peco Event last weekend, but they weren't for sale - the Peco rep had brought them along; they were finished and in packaging as if for sale so I'm confident they were the same as what will be sold, but the shop hadn't received stocks for sale at that point.  They were the subject of much inspection and discussion!

I'm not in the market for any at the moment but if and when my layout gets extended (subject to me clearing the rest of the railway room of junk) I'm sure I'll be using them - at least that gives them time to expand the range!

Next they will be claiming "as used by Mr Barniar" or "by royal warrant to Mrs Merkel" 

Or "Buy now and beat the tariffs" 

Peco sell it by the yard, not metre. So if there are, say, 100 sleepers in a yard length, there will be 109.36 sleepers per metre. "Fewer" doesn't make sense with fractional amounts. "Less" is correct for sleepers per metre.

To some extent it depends how it is punctuated. Are you referencing the sleepers, or their frequency? Fewer sleepers, per metre. Less sleepers-per-metre.

Martin.

That's the first English test I have ever passed, Phew!!

• RMweb Gold

Martin.

109.36 is an average, like 2.4 children. Averages are used so that you can calculate for larger quantities, say to cater for 10 families, you need to allow for 24 children.

0.36 of a sleeper is as nonsensical as 0.4 of a child.

The point is not punctuation, but discrete versus continuous. That is what determines less or fewer. If something is measured in integers (ignoring arithmetic mean averages which are used for generalisations only) then fewer is correct. If continuous, then less. As an example, less water, but fewer bottles of water.

So, sorry Martin, but it was still incorrect. Yards and metres are irrelevant to this issue.

That's the first English test I have ever passed, Phew!!

Sorry. Still failed... ;) Edited by Regularity

• RMweb Gold

So, sorry Martin, but it was still incorrect.

I disagree. Sleepers-per-metre is a ratio, and therefore continuous. Fewer doesn't make sense for that. Or anything else which can be expressed with a fractional part.

Martin.