How long have you had those unbuilt kits?

Trofimow

Guest Isambarduk

... SE Finecast glazing sheets for Lima Mk2 coaches, stil in their packets, but they have gone yellow.

I have never found that problem with microscope cover slips ;)    David

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Many years ago I played with N, when most British outline was Lima or minitrix. Anyway I was digging through some old envelopes of transfers today and found this, 70s vintage I think. 

post-30265-0-49291000-1515445715_thumb.jpg

If I get really stuck for something to do I might build it.......... 

• Like 2

I've never really understood how anyone can bear to have un-built kits in their drawers.

Whenever I buy ANY kit I am always absolutely itching to build it and can't wait to get stuck into it just as soon as I get it home, or as soon as it arrives at the door.  Always have been like this.  And if I buy say, three or four at once I will have them all on the go simultaneously and jump from one to the other as I go......usually (and usefully) whilst waiting for glue to set or paint to dry on one of them.

In answer to the original question I can absolutely honestly say that I doubt whether I have ever had an un-built kit in my possession for more than half an hour. 

- Don

Edited by orford

Many years ago I played with N, when most British outline was Lima or minitrix. Anyway I was digging through some old envelopes of transfers today and found this, 70s vintage I think. 

attachicon.gifhighfield kit.JPG

If I get really stuck for something to do I might build it.......... 

Now that is a blast from the past! Manchester Liners disappeared in the early 80s although the writing had been on the wall for a decade.

Guest Lyonesse

Last week I finally finished one of the LYR 6-wheelers I started back in 1987 --- three thirds, a composite, brake third and birdcage brake third.

As I remember, D&S produced the LYR 6-wheel family saloon, then one of the LYR society members did artwork for a range of LYR coach bodies, to use the chassis from the family saloon.  These coaches were later incorporated into the D&S range.

I bought six, to go with the Barton-Wright 4-4-0 I had scratchbuilt.  Most of the assembly got done in the 1980s, and the chassis were finished then.  The bodies were sprayed in the 1990s, using Cherry scale enamel.  In the last month or so I did the lining, added transfers, varnish and glazing.

The two brakes still lack some transfers as I ran out of "3RD"s from the sheet I was using.  Still, the end is finally in sight.  Now I just have to finish painting the 4-4-0 and I'll have a train.

post-14166-0-50336100-1515928791_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

No pics but I found a class 50 kit that I vaguely recall buying from John Dutfield when I was still at secondary school so likely early 1990s. It was second hand then - already started (badly) and I've not touched it since. No idea on the brand and no instructions. I have no need for a 50 as much as I like them so will probably take the ebay gamble on it.

Got an old Cotswold kit for the L&Y 0-6-0ST, which I bought second hand, also from John Dutfields, between 20-25 years ago. Did nothing for at least 10 years. London Road models kindly sold me a chassis etch from their much nicer kit, then I discovered the Cotswold tank casting is a very poor shape, very slab-sided. Back in the drawer for another 10 years and London Road in their mercy have bailed me out again with a nice resin cast tank. This kit may yet survive to be built - it's still on life-support but the signs are good. 

I should have put the thing on ebay years ago and bought a nice London Road Models kit instead but I have to admit I rather like making a half-decent model out of a less than ideal starting point!

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 30/10/2017 at 21:08, Northmoor said:

DC Kits Class 304, bought 2000 Old Oak Common Open Weekend, that's one of the more recent ones.

I have two Roy Gould VGA Van kits (who remembers them), never started, from Geoffrey Allison's in Worksop.  I worked there in 1992-3 (for Pandrol, yes, as in the clips).  Definitely still have a Peco Station House, probably bought in about 1984.  I'm sure I have a couple of not started model aircraft kits from that era as well.   If you include kits bought by my Dad but which I still have awaiting building, there are some Ratio Midland Coaches and Airfix buildings which pre-date 1984.

However, it's not the dates on the packets/boxes that I am guilty of, it's the numbers.  I dread to think how many there are.

Oh dear.  This could quickly turn into a Maoist Self-denunciation thread.

Resurrecting an old thread:

I'm pleased to report that one Airfix model aircraft starter kit that was bought for my son about ten years ago has been finished!  Not by him, he was never interested.  As far as my model railway kits go, I recently started working on a Dapol BoB which I got in an eBay job lot 11 years ago.  It had been started by the previous owner but they'd only built the loco chassis.  It's going to be a withdrawn example (yes I know, not a new idea) but unlike some of the "professionally-built" examples being sold on eBay, it won't still have nameplates and coal in the tender.

• RMweb Gold

I have lots of things started, but not much finished.  

Most extreme example is a DJH Clan, received for my 18th birthday mostly built but still in works grey 37 years later!  :o

Someone will probably now tell me that Clan McKenzie was never fitted with AWS gear and I will have to start again!  :shout:

IMG_20220125_232051458.jpg

Edited by sjp23480
Added text
  • Like 3

Rake of Kitmaster Maroon coaches with peco paper interiors, couple of early airfix 0-4-0, boxed mineral, tanker cattle wagons, airfix footbridge, station canopy etc

Built a scale craft  railroad trailer a few years back 

Most over 50 years old if not 60 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, locomad2 said:

Rake of Kitmaster Maroon coaches with peco paper interiors, couple of early airfix 0-4-0, boxed mineral, tanker cattle wagons, airfix footbridge, station canopy etc

Built a scale craft  railroad trailer a few years back 

Most over 50 years old if not 60 

Oops!  I had forgotten them.  Three green Kitmasters somewhere and an Airfix Pug with motorising kit and Romford Terrier 7 pole motor, which I failed to convert to narrow gauge.

• Like 1