RMweb

Christmas TV Adverts ALREADY?!? The Bah, Humbug Thread.

F-UnitMad

I don't watch much TV, usually just catch a bit of whatever SWMBO is watching around teatime, so it's taken me a few days to catch on, but it's only early November and Christmas adverts are all over the telly!!! :mad: :shout:

Ok I must be getting old, but I've had enough of them - & the fantasy "perfect Christmas" they portray - already!!

Bah humbug; here's looking forward to Boxing day, when the adverts for Summer holidays start... :jester:

I don't watch much TV, usually just catch a bit of whatever SWMBO is watching around teatime, so it's taken me a few days to catch on, but it's only early November and Christmas adverts are all over the telly!!! :mad: :shout:

Ok I must be getting old, but I've had enough of them - & the fantasy "perfect Christmas" they portray - already!!

Bah humbug; here's looking forward to Boxing day, when the adverts for Summer holidays start... :jester:

I probably watch less telly than you and I've already seen holiday ads for next year!

I work in retail and no lie we usually get our xmas plans long before November.

Christmas is only six weeks away.

The Christmas blitz here starts after the Thanksgiving holiday. This year retailers roll out the Christmas stuff on Friday, November 24. For now we're spared - sitting in between the fall holidays of Halloween and Thanksgiving. Once the turkey is eaten, Christmas is in full swing.

I love the Christmas Adverts. They are great.

It's those supermarkets AND shops selling Pancake ingredients ALL YEAR ROUND that bug me.

Yeah. Who would want flour or milk in July?

You can enjoy pancakes all year round by calling them crepes, or by making the smaller, thicker ones that are actually cake-like.

• RMweb Gold

Nothing to do with TV adverts, but we were in Tesco the other day and enquired why there were no tea cakes on the shelves. We were told it was to make way for the hot cross buns.

Our Tesco seems to have hot cross buns for most of the year these days. 

John

• RMweb Gold

One of my past lives was working for a large direct-selling beauty company (clue: ding d*ng - although they haven’t used that slogan since 1972).

It used to be quite disconcerting to go into the marketing department in February and March and find it full of samples of Christmas merchandise, as they finalised the plans for the coming Christmas...

Edited to add: the asterisk in “d*ng” is an “o”. Apparently the forum software objects to doorbell sounds that may also be slang for a part of the body...

Edited by Zero Gravitas

• RMweb Gold

Yeah. Who would want flour or milk in July?

You can enjoy pancakes all year round by calling them crepes, or by making the smaller, thicker ones that are actually cake-like.

You migh call them crepes, but I didn’t think they were that bad.

(With apologies to Sid Snot and Kenny Everett, circa 1978).

• RMweb Premium

I love the Christmas Adverts.  They are great.

It's those supermarkets AND shops selling Pancake ingredients  ALL YEAR ROUND that bug me.

And Hot Cross Buns.

• RMweb Premium

.... I've had enough of them - & the fantasy "perfect Christmas" they portray - ...

You've hit the nail fair and square there. The early Christmas is bad enough but the sickly perfection is the really nauseating bit. They're much like those American films that celebrate some plastic Barbie meets Stepford stereotype of imagined Christmas designed to match cloying sentiment rather than real life. I note that my Freesat box has a multiplicity of channels, there are two or three of them seeming devoted to food and another pair for horror, surely there must be a market for a no Xmas channel?

Edit: The reality of Christmas. Hard work in bad weather for some, chaos for the unprepared and grumbling for those who are predisposed to whinge.

Edited by Neil
  • Like 2

If I am honest, I thought this year the retailers have been relatively restrained with Christmas advertising so far.

I remember about 8-10 years ago Asda had begun showing lengthy festive adverts (you know the ones - with dinner tables the dimension of my living room packed with food, including a 100lb turkey, a similarly sized rib of beef and a ham from the biggest pig known to man, together with 15 tureens full of different vegetables; in other words just the average UK family Christmas dinner - NOT ) from the beginning of October, and our local Somerfields (now fortunately defunct and replaced by a Waitrose) had had their festive ceiling decorations in place on September 1st (I kid you not). 

I think that year Asda received so many complaints that the supermarkets revised their ideas of the build up to Christmas from 4 months down to about 6 weeks, which is a step in the right direction as far as I am concerned. 

What really does annoy me, is the idea that somehow certain Christmas adverts must be treated like a blockbuster Hollywood movie accompanied by free advertising of its first showing by sycophantic and brain-dead radio and TV presenters, and full page newspaper articles which are simply a cut&paste retailers press release, in advance of this "momentous" event; and even followed by a daily update of how many zillion youtube views the adverts have had. 

What usually appears is a saccharine-filled vomit-inducing 90 second clip of some poor child being befriended by a cuddly "thing" which has even bigger eyes than the most stupid cartoon character, and the creature takes the kid to a sad fantasy world where selfish materialistic ideals have triumphed over everything else and only the biggest and most expensive presents matter. 

These productions cost £millions which could be put to far better use giving food, warmth and shelter to the hundreds of thousands who are going to spend the holiday period on the streets of a country which is supposed to have one of the top ten largest economies in the world. 

There; I feel a little better now....

One of my past lives was working for a large direct-selling beauty company (clue: ding d*ng - although they haven’t used that slogan since 1972).

It used to be quite disconcerting to go into the marketing department in February and March and find it full of samples of Christmas merchandise, as they finalised the plans for the coming Christmas...

Edited to add: the asterisk in “d*ng” is an “o”. Apparently the forum software objects to doorbell sounds that may also be slang for a part of the body...

But why is the ding bit OK?

My ding-a-ling, my ding-a-ling

I want you to play with my ding-a-ling

My ding-a-ling, my ding-a-ling

I want you to play with my ding-a-ling

You've hit the nail fair and square there. The early Christmas is bad enough but the sickly perfection is the really nauseating bit. They're much like those American films that celebrate some plastic Barbie meets Stepford stereotype of imagined Christmas designed to match cloying sentiment rather than real life. I note that my Freesat box has a multiplicity of channels, there are two or three of them seeming devoted to food and another pair for horror, surely there must be a market for a no Xmas channel?

Edit: The reality of Christmas. Hard work in bad weather for some, chaos for the unprepared and grumbling for those who are predisposed to whinge.

You are in luck! There is a ?CBS channel in the 60s that is showing Christmas films as you describe.