RMweb

Painting aluminium coaches

Yet another question for the RMWeb fount of knowledge. Over the last forty years I’ve acquired a number of Westdale and BSL coach kits. I finally retire at the end of December so the time will become available to start completing them.

My question is simple - what did, or do, people use to paint them? I do not have a workshop but do things on the breakfast bar in the kitchen so spraying is not usually an option (unless SWMBO has gone away for a few days)

TIA, Tim T

First, give them a good scrub with cream cleaner, this will very slightly scour the surface and give the paint something to bond to. Use gloves to handle the carriages once they have been cleaned. Second, use a good quality etch primer, I use Teroson etch primer.

Following JZ’s post re Teroson primer another thought has come to mind.

Given the notorious difficulty of assembling these with glue would it help to spray the components before assembly? Would the bond between primer and metal be strong enough?

Tim T

Following JZ’s post re Teroson primer another thought has come to mind.

Given the notorious difficulty of assembling these with glue would it help to spray the components before assembly? Would the bond between primer and metal be strong enough?

Tim T

On the few aluminium coaches I have built, I have deeply scored the area to be glued. I wouldn't think the bond with the paint would be enough.