Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Chiltern Model Railway Exhibition - Stevenage 13/14 Jan 2018

adrianmc

I second that there needed to be some signage (or a steward) for people arriving from the station. I arrived with a buggy for my daughter, I could see the exhibition was on the ground floor but spent ten minutes looking in vain for a lift to get down. Eventually I gave up and carried the buggy down two flights of stairs only to be told that the ticket office was on the first floor and I had to go up again!! Not happy at all.

Once we got in the exhibition was pretty good, not too busy, friendly people and lots to see.

• RMweb Premium

My only complaint is that there was absolutely no signage outside the building to say that there was an exhibition on or how to get in. When we arrived just before 10am there was quite a few other people wandering around looking for a way in, and when we did find the entrance we had to confirm with the girl taking the money that there was a railway exhibition taking place.  One of the stewards we asked said that they were not allowed any signage.   

The H&S Police and/or Local Council often insist of ridiculous amounts of insurance cover before allowing signs to be put up.  Not sure if this is the case for Stevenage though, just a possibility

• RMweb Gold

I also had the pleasure to chat with Mr Muspratt, whilst being transfixed by Fisherton Sarum - a keen follower of his blog, I didn't appreciate just how 'involved' he his with the RTR manufacturers! :secret:

Was a pleasure to chat with you too, and other RMweb members / readers of my blog that dropped by and said hello.

I had a good time at the show with Fisherton Sarum, despite a couple of electrical gremlims on the Saturday morning, but that didn't stop us running things from a public point of view.

I thank my operating team over the weekend, without whom I would not be able to exhibit. I also agree with others on here that the move to Stevenage has elevated this show, allowing a greater number of layouts (and larger ones) to attend in better surroundings. Set and break down were extremely easy from my perspective and overall the show was very well organised.

A great weekend.

Good exhibition, some fine exhibits. But there was one I can find no mention of in the brochure, the CMRA website, or in this thread. This was a smallish 7mm china clay terminus and I cannot remember it's name. Perhaps it was a late substitute.

If anybody could tell me the name I'd be grateful.

Many thanks 

Richard,

The layout would have been Treloar Sidings manned by friends from Luton Model Railway Club.  Your assumption is correct, it was a very late (Friday PM) substitute for a trader who was unable to make the show.

Details of the layout may be found here: http://www.lutonmodelrailwayclub.org.uk/treloar_sidings.htm

Regards, Mick.

Richard,

The layout would have been Treloar Sidings manned by friends from Luton Model Railway Club.  Your assumption is correct, it was a very late (Friday PM) substitute for a trader who was unable to make the show.

Details of the layout may be found here: http://www.lutonmodelrailwayclub.org.uk/treloar_sidings.htm

Regards, Mick.

Thanks Mick. I learned from the two gentlemen exhibiting it that they where not the originally builders but that the maker had died. There was some nice rolling stock on it.

Regards

Richard

Edited by RichardS

Not read the thread but was there helping out on a stand for 2 days, I was amazed on the change in the show. Far more layouts, with all being at the better quality end the venue showing the layouts off at their best, trade support matched many of the larger shows. I hope there was lots through the turnstiles, but was space for many more.

Hopefully word will get out about the quality of the show and many more will attend in the future at what could be one of the best shows in the country. A big thanks to the CMRA organisers and stewards, 5 star show in my mind giving Alley Palley and Railex a good run for their money  

• Like 3

Having sorted out the name of the mystery layout (see previous posts) I can now provide a link to some of the photos I took at the show on Saturday. All on phone and somehow I had set it to HDR, but I've tweaked them so hope they are acceptable.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/richardjslipper/albums/72157691495420794

Have to say I felt the show was equally as good as 2017. Exhibits of high quality especially Arun Quay - how do you get a baseboard join like that; Llangerisech - 2FS - which despite Jerry Clifford's denial I still think is a punishment option to a second hand hair shirt, Mauch Chunk - USA - HO which maybe the most interesting US layout I've seen, Ynysbwl - EM - great atmosphere but badly placed in the hall so that one end and the interesting 'backside' could not be easily viewed, Sandford and Banwell - P4 - oval layout with sound proving that it can be done with grace and style - the list is long and it is churlish to highlight only five.

Anything not so good? Well yes - seating. Quite inadequate for show of this size. Sitting down to eat some sandwiches bought on site I found the lines of chairs were cramped, the floor dirty with crumbs and liquids, no place to put bags and other bits such as drink, crisps, etc. In fact so cramped that when an oversize chap plonked himself on a spare set next to me he could not sit back and I was so squashed I couldn't lift my arms to eat. I got up and walked away to stand and finish my meal.

Also getting in - obviously it's a function of the venue but we went to the ground-floor to be told ticket sales were upstairs. Honestly, two old boys, a cash tin and a book of raffle tickets can work faster. Signage would have helped avoid so many people having to go up and down the stairs. (Sensible and securely fixed signage is not an H&S, or probably more accurately a liability insurance condition, issue.) A litter bin for the small peel off bits of the wrist bands would have improved the tidiness - the foyer looked untidy. (When I sought a bin, a steward suggested I throw the bit on the floor!)

But these are 'housekeeping' issues and we'll be back next year without a doubt.

Having sorted out the name of the mystery layout (see previous posts) I can now provide a link to some of the photos I took at the show on Saturday. All on phone and somehow I had set it to HDR, but I've tweaked them so hope they are acceptable.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/richardjslipper/albums/72157691495420794

Have to say I felt the show was equally as good as 2017. Exhibits of high quality especially Arun Quay - how do you get a baseboard join like that; Llangerisech - 2FS - which despite Jerry Clifford's denial I still think is a punishment option to a second hand hair shirt, Mauch Chunk - USA - HO which maybe the most interesting US layout I've seen, Ynysbwl - EM - great atmosphere but badly placed in the hall so that one end and the interesting 'backside' could not be easily viewed, Sandford and Banwell - P4 - oval layout with sound proving that it can be done with grace and style - the list is long and it is churlish to highlight only five.

Anything not so good? Well yes - seating. Quite inadequate for show of this size. Sitting down to eat some sandwiches bought on site I found the lines of chairs were cramped, the floor dirty with crumbs and liquids, no place to put bags and other bits such as drink, crisps, etc. In fact so cramped that when an oversize chap plonked himself on a spare set next to me he could not sit back and I was so squashed I couldn't lift my arms to eat. I got up and walked away to stand and finish my meal.

Also getting in - obviously it's a function of the venue but we went to the ground-floor to be told ticket sales were upstairs. Honestly, two old boys, a cash tin and a book of raffle tickets can work faster. Signage would have helped avoid so many people having to go up and down the stairs. (Sensible and securely fixed signage is not an H&S, or probably more accurately a liability insurance condition, issue.) A litter bin for the small peel off bits of the wrist bands would have improved the tidiness - the foyer looked untidy. (When I sought a bin, a steward suggested I throw the bit on the floor!)

But these are 'housekeeping' issues and we'll be back next year without a doubt.

Richard

How did you find time to sit down and eat !!!  You should pass the comments on to the CMRA, I am certain they would consider this matter is raised

Its their best show ever I have attended, certainly in quality. I had favourites but to judge the best layout in the show would be impossible. The trackwork, stock and scenery on Ynysybwl the Welsh EM gauge layout was one of my favourites, especially as they had a scenic fiddle yard !!

Richard

How did you find time to sit down and eat !!!  You should pass the comments on to the CMRA, I am certain they would consider this matter is raised

Its their best show ever I have attended, certainly in quality. I had favourites but to judge the best layout in the show would be impossible. The trackwork, stock and scenery on Ynysybwl the Welsh EM gauge layout was one of my favourites, especially as they had a scenic fiddle yard !!

Well, John, some of us do try to maintain some semblance of civilisation when attending these events.  :) 

CMRA had changed the layout from last year when they had some tables but really there wasn't enough room allocated in either year to the refreshment bar. It's hard to see where extra space would come from without reducing traders or layouts and obviously the 'consist' of any one exhibition will vary. It's a balance isn't it but they'll never please all of us all the time and I expect that like hospital car parks whatever they do would never be enough. But those lines of chairs this year were just too close together.

I liked Ynysybwl too, a very tidy layout. My only observation on the track was the painting of the chairs which I felt were perhaps too different to the sleepers. But if I can ever model something even half as good I would be very happy.

Good to see you again.

Richard

I was lucky enough to get invited behind the scenes of Sandford and Banwell – they were a great group who were endlessly patient explaining to me how they had undertaken and resolved various points of construction. (If any of you are members here – a big thank you, I came away throughly inspired.) Looking under the baseboards showed just what quality they had worked to throughout every aspect of the whole layout. The lever frame and it's mechanical links to the electrics was both a work or art and one of genius.

​There was one question which I forgot to ask and I'm hoping Hayfield or somebody else could help me: they had used ply sleepers which looked fantastic but I didn't ask exactly how they painted the track and chairs having bonded them and if the sleepers were stained before the rail and chairs were bonded. 

​My other top two layouts were Kingswear and Arun Quay. I only got to Arun Quay late in the day. Looking at eye level across the model made it look even more absolutely stunning and there were some wonderful photographic compositions waiting to be captured.

It was also great to have a long catch up with Tony & Mo.

Edited by Anglian

• RMweb Premium

Enjoyed yesterday morning at the show, there were some great layouts on display. Even my wife said that she was not bored - so I count this as success. As I wasn't looking for anything in particular also the shopping bill stayed low, I just found some coach lights with batteries and a latching reed switch for 6£ per coach. All in all a lovely morning, well worth going there. I think they will see us also next year.

Vecchio

As promised a few pics of the show. 

post-24-0-47349000-1516031174.jpg

Shelvington

post-24-0-11236000-1516031180.jpg

Treeloar Sidings

post-24-0-51993800-1516031185.jpg

Rannoch

post-24-0-17512600-1516031220.jpg

​Fisherton Sarum

post-24-0-78069300-1516031194.jpg

Bridge at Remagen

post-24-0-17303000-1516031202.jpg

post-24-0-53375700-1516031210.jpg

post-24-0-61987400-1516031229.jpg

And my fave, Arun Quay

Got to mention the great show guide as well, I think there was a track plan for every layout. Also had a good senic demo by Roy Hickman, I made a tree! and had a go at the Flockit grass applicator courtesy of Maggie Gravett. 

All in all had a great day.

Steve

• Like 1

Well, John, some of us do try to maintain some semblance of civilisation when attending these events.  :)

CMRA had changed the layout from last year when they had some tables but really there wasn't enough room allocated in either year to the refreshment bar. It's hard to see where extra space would come from without reducing traders or layouts and obviously the 'consist' of any one exhibition will vary. It's a balance isn't it but they'll never please all of us all the time and I expect that like hospital car parks whatever they do would never be enough. But those lines of chairs this year were just too close together.

I liked Ynysybwl too, a very tidy layout. My only observation on the track was the painting of the chairs which I felt were perhaps too different to the sleepers. But if I can ever model something even half as good I would be very happy.

Good to see you again.

Richard

Richard

You are quite correct in that there should be an even balance between layouts, traders and seating. The hall the refreshments were in  seemed to have less free space than the other hall. Also the stands where I was whilst having more space behind than normal had far less side by side to the extent that we had a long walk to get to the front of the stand

What may have affected it was the placing of the two larger layouts which dictated the siting of the middle two isles. Still minor complaints

• RMweb Premium

As I had my camera with me I would like to share a few pictures with the community...

39002135754_891b915bd8_b.jpgDSC_0747 

39680463632_ac9f32044b_b.jpgDSC_0744 

27932473749_c096e94132_b.jpgDSC_0746 

39711288751_0efb2bb584_b.jpgDSC_0739 

39002101264_44fe4e3e44_b.jpgDSC_0742 

38813434715_5e599c99aa_b.jpgDSC_0741 

39711285371_5cf3ca0a76_b.jpgDSC_0740 

39002102614_41c6b2dc38_b.jpgDSC_0738 

39002105314_8e99795f87_b.jpgDSC_0736 

39002109104_6d4c66cd29_b.jpgDSC_0733

38813447055_74f583ce1a_b.jpgDSC_0729

38813449405_2a76781554_b.jpgDSC_0728 

39680481882_8a129be393_b.jpgDSC_0724

39002112874_863a559dff_b.jpgDSC_0723 

39002115044_52870abc1f_b.jpgDSC_0722 

39680479152_c4c3d56866_b.jpgDSC_0726 

39680488232_21d53a5fd8_b.jpgDSC_0765 

39002121814_76f0956083_b.jpgDSC_0766 

39002182484_f50da98625_b.jpgDSC_0758

39680491562_ed9f034af6_b.jpgDSC_0762 

39002131134_ca3fbd83ed_b.jpgDSC_0755 

39002186484_afdf9d8697_b.jpgDSC_0753 

39711353361_c7811d8226_b.jpgDSC_0749 

• Like 3

My first visit to the CMRA show.  Clearly very popular, with a good spread of layouts and traders.  Best layout for me was Arun Quay - another great exercise in 7mm modelling from the Gravetts, which I had seen almost finished at Warminster last year.  I also rather liked Treloar Sidings, which I had seen at my local exhibition in Alton last year.  The trouble with seeing small 7mm layouts like these, and with the availability of more RTR 7mm locos, the temptation is to have a go........ 

The other layout I enjoyed was Rannoch, which utilises N gauge in a good way to replicate the open spaces of the West Highland line, greatly helped by the availability of appropriate locos and stock.

Many thanks to the organisers.

The sleepers on Ynysybwl are ply and were stained with a Colron product - I think it was mahogany. The chairs I can't comment on because I am colour blind (there are two of us in the Ynysybwl team) but I would guess it was Humbrol 186. I thought the show was excellent and I was pleasantly surprised to find that parts of Stevenage had escaped the New Town curse. Much better than Bracknell - the home of ExpoEM.

The sleepers on Ynysybwl are ply and were stained with a Colron product - I think it was mahogany. The chairs I can't comment on because I am colour blind (there are two of us in the Ynysybwl team) but I would guess it was Humbrol 186. I thought the show was excellent and I was pleasantly surprised to find that parts of Stevenage had escaped the New Town curse. Much better than Bracknell - the home of ExpoEM.

John

The standard of the whole layout is outstanding, the trackwork is some of the best I have seen. I think what was said about the chairs is that the rust colour might need toning down slightly, but this is the persons own point of view

I have looked at some main line track, you can see the rail, timbering and ballast are all different colours but covered in the same coloured grime. This is where the artist comes into their own and everyone sees things differently, on the other hand in model form sometimes you have to accentuate things. So each to their own

For me Ynysybwl was the layout I enjoyed the most at the show, the track work/building was superb with stock working perfectly over it

John

The standard of the whole layout is outstanding, the trackwork is some of the best I have seen. I think what was said about the chairs is that the rust colour might need toning down slightly, but this is the persons own point of view

I have looked at some main line track, you can see the rail, timbering and ballast are all different colours but covered in the same coloured grime. This is where the artist comes into their own and everyone sees things differently, on the other hand in model form sometimes you have to accentuate things. So each to their own

For me Ynysybwl was the layout I enjoyed the most at the show, the track work/building was superb with stock working perfectly over it

The track was built by a former Notwork Rail track engineer - that's why it looks right.

John

The person was me. Obviously I intended no offence to be taken from what was a simple observation and it is as John says an opinion only. Who am I to say what colour the chairs were in relation to the sleepers on the TVR at that time. I doubt anybody can be entirely sure. It was just the contrast (light and dark - not necessarily the actual colour) that struck me. 

But I must agree with John in his appraisal of the whole layout. By far the most pleasing 4mm offering at the show - in my opinion of course. Thought the stock, buildings, and general ambience were very good. I do wish you were positioned differently as the back and the 'quarry' side were not easily seen by visitors. As I said in my original post if I ever achieved anything half as good I would be pretty pleased. Hopefully I will see Ynysybwl again before long.

Here's the pics I took of the layout - mobile phone only I'm afraid.

post-4710-0-12147700-1516207716_thumb.jpg

post-4710-0-57825500-1516207807_thumb.jpg

post-4710-0-35309600-1516208008_thumb.jpg

post-4710-0-51894300-1516208108_thumb.jpg

post-4710-0-77075900-1516208180_thumb.jpg

• Like 3