RMweb

Most prolific loco in UK

kandc_au

Just a quick question.
Was just reading a website while looking for info on a loco and there was a comment that the 57XX was the second most prolific class in the UK with 800 odd loco's.

Needless to say my questions is, What is/has been the most prolific class in the UK?

Khris

Normally the Ramsbottom DX 0-6-0, running to 943 locomotives (857 on the LNWR and 86 on the LYR) are regarded as the most numerous steam loco class, which is probably what the 57xx piece alludes to.

With the 935 Riddles/NBL 2-8-0s built for the War Department very close behind.

Jim

According to Wikipedia the br 08 ran to 996

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_08

Which made it the most numerous British locomotive class.

It's actually higher than that, when you include class 09 (different gearing) and class 10 (different engine). The true figure is closer to 1200, and that's without the very similar LMS, SR and GWR locos.  

• Like 1

I'm sure we've had this thread before, and last time I suggested the very humble Motor Rail (Simplex) locos that originated as the MR&TCCo 20hp rail tractor, built for WDLR during WW1.

But, I acknowledge that this depends upon what one defines as a 'class', given that the design evolved over the years.

But, but, as suggested by others, the EE 350hp DE shunter has to be the real winner.

All pales into insignificance when you consider the Russian E 0-10-0. They only built over 11,000 of them. 

Jason

Quite true, but there is a bit more of Russia for them to spread themselves out than can be done in Britain!

• RMweb Premium

Normally the Ramsbottom DX 0-6-0, running to 943 locomotives (857 on the LNWR and 86 on the LYR) are regarded as the most numerous steam loco class, which is probably what the 57xx piece alludes to.

Did all the LNWR ones exist at the same time? I seem to remember that early ones were scrapped while new ones still under construction.

The LYR ones were built and sold by the LNWR, before a law was passed preventing railway companies from selling to one another. The private builders were behind that.

I'm surprised no-one has suggested Flying Scotsman! After all, the popular press seem to think it is the only loco that existed, everyone knows of it, and their grandad/uncle/brother have all driven it. So it must be the most prolific loco ever?

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram
  • Like 4

Did all of the Gronks exist at the same time? With the build period for the 08s alone being more than a decade (1952 - 1962) without considering 09s, 10s, etc. Don't know when the earliest withdrawals of these happened.

I'll answer my own question - reading the Wikipedia page for the class suggests that the first withdrawal was in 1967.

Also noted an error on the Wikipedia page - 08991 and 08992 were vacuum brakes only. That is why they were withdrawn and replaced with 08994 and 08995. I believe BPGV stock went from HTV to HEA which necessitated the change. Obviously enough 'spare' 08s at the time to convert two air braked examples rather than attempt to add air brake equipment to the existing pair.

I'm surprised no-one has suggested Flying Scotsman! After all, the popular press seem to think it is the only loco that existed, everyone knows of it, and their grandad/uncle/brother have all driven it. So it must be the most prolific loco ever?

Stewart

Depends if you count Triang/Hornby examples...

• RMweb Premium

Stewart

Is that the train or the locomotive?

The FS must be the model most produced by different manufacturers. Some quite good and others dreadful. As previously discussed.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/121001-worst-flying-scotman-ever/

Looking at those 08 numbers what would have been done with TOPS numbering if there were more than 1000 in a class?

Identify some footling distinguishing feature, like the position of the bend in the radiator overflow pipes, and group them into two separate classes?

Like splitting the 09's into an class of their own based on the difference in gear ratios? If you put the 08's & 09's together, you get 1022 machines. At least the 10's, 11's & 12's had a stronger basis for having an entire class of their own.

• RMweb Premium

Like splitting the 09's into an class of their own based on the difference in gear ratios? If you put the 08's & 09's together, you get 1022 machines. At least the 10's, 11's & 12's had a stronger basis for having an entire class of their own.

Good point, sounds like the type of difference that would normally just result in a different sub-class.