RMweb

The 'antidote' to Warley?

Captain Kernow

• RMweb Premium

An evening keeping the real railway running on Saturday and a nice day out in the New Forest, on Sunday, with my Lady, visiting the New Forest Model Railway Society Open Day. I did, at one point, think I had been teleported to the NEC, when I couldn't get to a view an O gauge layout!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

With some trepidation I ran a new loco. I have extensive 16.5mm track laid out around a barn, and usually that suffices for test running anything I buy - even limited mileage with On30 stuff. This loco needs 12mm track, so a yard length of Peco HOm was laid on the dining table, wires were soldered to a couple of Peco fishplates, the spare Digitrax DCS100 was fired up with the DT400 throttle - and 99 222, all 2-10-2 of her, complete with Zimo Next 18 decoder, crept quietly forward and back at about 30% throttle for 20 minutes. Very pleasing.

Driving to Lidl later lacked a certain je ne sais quoi by comparison.

I guess a non sound decoder when you said it crept quietly. Just been in discussion with another rmwebber about suitable decoders for this loco.

I spent Saturday with fellow modelling and railway enthusiasts drinking our way around London South of the river. Warley next year.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I guess a non sound decoder when you said it crept quietly. Just been in discussion with another rmwebber about suitable decoders for this loco.

I spent Saturday with fellow modelling and railway enthusiasts drinking our way around London South of the river. Warley next year.

Yes, Ian, I have quite a number of sound-equipped US locos, but decided some time ago that I would be bankrupt sooner if I added sound to UK and European stuff. There is a real risk of some track going down shortly - and I have ordered an HO/HOm diamond crossing for a bit of fun. And 99 247 is in the post....

• Like 3

.. Oliver Cromwell ... - a super loco ...

... the Brit (Oliver Cromwell) tour to Chester on Saturday was to good to turn down (an excellent tour by the way - a super loco)

I guess it looks better now than it did when it was a regular hauling fish trains from Grimsby Docks in the 1960s ...

Oliver Cromwell wasn't allocated to Immingham where the Grimsby fish locos worked from, those being 70035-41 inclusive. There are photos and I think, memory not too certain, film of 70013 on the GC, working a passenger service northwards from Nottingham. I'm not saying categorically it didn't work the fish, but I think it's highly unlikely and I've never seen any information to say it did

• RMweb Gold

Oliver Cromwell wasn't allocated to Immingham where the Grimsby fish locos worked from, those being 70035-41 inclusive. There are photos and I think, memory not too certain, film of 70013 on the GC, working a passenger service northwards from Nottingham. I'm not saying categorically it didn't work the fish, but I think it's highly unlikely and I've never seen any information to say it did

Not on the fish but there's a picture of it at Grimsby here. http://www.davesrailpics.bravehost.com/gy/brock2.htm 8th picture down.

Up at 5am on Saturday. Drove the already loaded van down to the flatlands to set up for a market. Sold pots to a large crowd for 7 hours then packed up as fast as possible so as to get out before a'll the surrounding roads got closed for a big parade. Pizza on the way home then an hour unloading and reloading the van before collapsing into bed.

Up at 5am again on Sunday and down to the flatlands. Bigger stall. More crowds. More pots. Hot sunshine. Many dollars. Pity I'd managed to leave all our reserve packing materials and our price label gun at home. Got by though. Own weight In fish and chips on way home. Can't be bothered to unload van until Tuesday.

Not an easy weekend and I'll be doing it all again this week, but it's our main selling period and we need to make enough to tide us over january and February when most of our markets aren't running.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Up at 5am on Saturday. Drove the already loaded van down to the flatlands to set up for a market. Sold pots to a large crowd for 7 hours then packed up as fast as possible so as to get out before a'll the surrounding roads got closed for a big parade. Pizza on the way home then an hour unloading and reloading the van before collapsing into bed.

Up at 5am again on Sunday and down to the flatlands. Bigger stall. More crowds. More pots. Hot sunshine. Many dollars. Pity I'd managed to leave all our reserve packing materials and our price label gun at home. Got by though. Own weight In fish and chips on way home. Can't be bothered to unload van until Tuesday.

Not an easy weekend and I'll be doing it all again this week, but it's our main selling period and we need to make enough to tide us over january and February when most of our markets aren't running.

Substitute "model railway things" for "pots" and you've pretty much got a Warley traders view of the weekend!

Mike.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Was there any shot in the partridge?  That can be a problem when eating game birds and spoil an otherwise delicious meal.

I was brought up on game from a very early age (we had two game butchers in Leatherhead, both now gone). So I am always careful about shot but did not find any on this occasion.

• Like 1

I found a bit of shot in a steak and kidney pie once (Pukka, bought from a chip shop in Leicester in 1987, not that it's relevant). Presumably the cow had caught a pellet or two at some stage.

I found a bit of shot in a steak and kidney pie once (Pukka, bought from a chip shop in Leicester in 1987, not that it's relevant). Presumably the cow had caught a pellet or two at some stage.

If anything like the nut jobs running around here following their 'country sports' surprised there's anything without shot in it!

• RMweb Gold

By no means unusual to have 40 or more 'chasseurs' complete with pop-guns shooting at anything that moves around here. These days they wear hi-vis to reduce the risk of harming each other. This must be a disadvantage for those who were looking forward to settling long-running feuds by mistakenly shooting someone, as has been known. In this locale there have already been 4 reports to the gendarmes of injury or unwarranted damage, and the season opened in September.

That said, the wild boar pâté in my fridge is rather nice....

Edited by Oldddudders

.... These days they wear hi-vis to reduce the risk of harming each other. This must be a disadvantage for those who were looking forward to settling long-running feuds by mistakenly shooting someone, as has been known.....

Surely that's the whole point of the shooting season?