Dapol Mark 1 coaches?

Kubes

Occasionally you find an unexplained part or piece of metal/plastic on the p-way, and have no idea from whence it came.

In this case, around 3 months ago I found a chromed metal pin, around 1mm diameter and 7mm long.  Convinced this was an axle for a lay shaft from some drive train, I have been waiting for one of the locos I have to grind to a halt.

However, upon receipt of a new SO, one of the corridor ends was stuck in. Once fixed, I noted that the magnets which retain the bottom of the corridor connector when not in use are kept against the carriage end by two such pins.  Checking my other Dapol coaches, I found one where the pin was missing, and another where the pin had come loose and was stuck on the connector magnet.

Both were refixed  with cyano.  Little victory!

The new SO is another great model.

Neal

Edited by neal
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 12/03/2022 at 16:07, neal said:

Occasionally you find an unexplained part or piece of metal/plastic on the p-way, and have no idea from whence it came.

In this case, around 3 months ago I found a chromed metal pin, around 1mm diameter and 7mm long.  Convinced this was an axle for a lay shaft from some drive train, I have been waiting for one of the locos I have to grind to a halt.

However, upon receipt of a new SO, one of the corridor ends was stuck in. Once fixed, I noted that the magnets which retain the bottom of the corridor connector when not in use are kept against the carriage end by two such pins.  Checking my other Dapol coaches, I found one where the pin was missing, and another where the pin had come loose and was stuck on the connector magnet.

Neal

Ditto - I've found several. Sadly the retail packaging on the coach ends holds them too tightly and one ends up with various types of damage to the vestibule components.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, CME and Bottlewasher said:

Ditto - I've found several. Sadly the retail packaging on the coach ends holds them too tightly and one ends up with various types of damage to the vestibule components.

I managed to catch and rip off a lamp iron from the connector the other day which is going to be fragile now and a bit small to be pinning. Mine will all be going into the most suitable "really useful" type boxes with home made foam lining.

Packaging is an issue generally - both Dapol and Heljan have tried all sorts and still suffering damage in transit. I quite like the clear plastic effort the original Dapol pannier sat in as it is quick to pack and unpack. Cradling a loco whilst screwing it to a base isnt something I want to be doing regularly.    

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

I managed to catch and rip off a lamp iron from the connector the other day which is as going to be fragile and a bit small to be pinning. Mine will all be going into the most suitable "really useful" type boxes with home made foam lining.

Packaging is an issue generally - both Dapol and Heljan have tried all sorts and still suffering damage in transit. I quite like the clear plastic effort the original Dapol pannier sat in as it is quick to pack and unpack. Cradling a loco whilst screwing it to a base isnt something I want to be doing regularly.    

It is a conundrum, model railway retail packaging has to look good, protect the model in transit, but is often next to useless for storage when additional details are added and weathering applied. Or with these coaches as supplied using the retail packaging is fraught.

I've already decanted to other procured boxes with foam inserts etc.

I'm sure though that it can be done retail packaging that's all things to all people - I used to buy £millions worth of packaging for a blue chip back in the day - we had some bods with PhD's in packaging and packaging tech.

On 12/03/2022 at 16:07, neal said:

Neal

Now that explains where the tiny square magnet has come from as I unpack an SK yesterday thanks 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I see Ellis Clark are bringing out some drop head couplings but I'm not sure how easy it would be to make them work on something the length of Mk1? 

I guess you could mount them on the close coupling cam (if thats the right word) that Dapol already supply although its a bit low and the existing ones work anyway.

Would potentially be good for the end of rakes though. 

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/06/2022 at 18:58, Hal Nail said:

I see Ellis Clark are bringing out some drop head couplings but I'm not sure how easy it would be to make them work on something the length of Mk1? 

I guess you could mount them on the close coupling cam (if thats the right word) that Dapol already supply although its a bit low and the existing ones work anyway.

Would potentially be good for the end of rakes though. 

I wonder if they can be remotely uncoupled (not that such is a requirement on a rake of MK1s)?

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 12/09/2021 at 21:41, Hal Nail said:

Was back today so took a photo of the TSO. Interesting it has had the extra strips added either side of the doors and commonwealth bogies but retained it's original windows (presumably when in blue grey too)

20210912_160627.jpg.998a425c084273677616d6c214b4f554.jpg

Just out of interest, I noticed at the Midhants the other day, they actually have two SOs with original windows running together at the moment. I seem to recal they confirmed to me that they hadnt altered them so dont know whether that means more than we think survived unaltered, or just a coincidence!. Incidentally they do have the added door strips and both are on commonwealths although as previously noted, bodies and bogies were often sold separarely.

I've been mulling over having one blue grey coach to mix with maroons for c'67.

Does anyone know would the earliest blue grey coaches be more likey to have modified windows, ie having been repainted into the new livery during the modifications, or were window mods only done when actually necessary and repaints just as likely to be either?

Edited by Hal Nail

• RMweb Gold

These really are superb models.  Here's a short vid of 4 of mine at work on my small O gauge layout.  Note the interiors - untouched by me save for the addition of a few passengers and of curtains in the first class compartments.

Edited by uk_pm
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, uk_pm said:

These really are superb models.  Here's a short vid of 4 of mine at work on my small O gauge layout.  Note the interiors - untouched by me save for the addition of a few passengers and of curtains in the first class compartments.

See this is partly why I've recently taken the plunge into 'O', they do look fantastic and capture the character and presence of the real thing so well.  Incidentally I really like your 'end of platform' video there, looks like a great layout - do you have any more photos/vids of it?

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Solo said:

See this is partly why I've recently taken the plunge into 'O', they do look fantastic and capture the character and presence of the real thing so well.  Incidentally I really like your 'end of platform' video there, looks like a great layout - do you have any more photos/vids of it?

Obviously I agree.  O gauge has an amazing presence which I cannot capture in OO - but it EATS space.  So I have a modest O gauge layout (little more than a plank really) on which I can admire, and run, my fleet of O gauge stock.  But in the same space, and just adjacent to it in my train room, I have got a reasonably passable model of the whole of Doncaster station.  I would love a big O gauge layout, but fear I shall never have the space.  Maybe the garden is the answer?!  

Edited by uk_pm

On 18/07/2022 at 09:45, Hal Nail said:

Just out of interest, I noticed at the Midhants the other day, they actually have two SOs with original windows running together at the moment. I seem to recal they confirmed to me that they hadnt altered them so dont know whether that means more than we think survived unaltered, or just a coincidence!

I've been mulling over having one blue grey coach to mix with maroons for c'67.

Does anyone know would the earliest blue grey coaches be more likey to have modified windows, ie having been repainted into the new livery during the modifications, or were window mods only done when actually necessary and repaints just as likely to be either?

I pondered such too, but several posts back one poster shared a blue grey or two with original windows.

At that time, 1970s, there were MK1s with unmodified windows, modified windows and some with extra door hinge plating, bottom edge of floor side plating and modified windows. The latter situation occurred more and more into the 1980s.

Eg. Heljan's MK1s seem to follow the version of the prototype with reinforced door hinges/surrounds.

If one was VERY careful and perhaps shaped and painted them first, perhaps EZ Build modified window etches could be added to the Dapol MK1s. From the mouldings of the Dapol MK1s, although a bit heavier in profile due to the substrate being plastic, the window surrounds are prototypical, but appear to cater for the later windows too? Thus Dapol may produce those in time, depending upon demand.

I hope that helps.

ATVB

CME

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, CME and Bottlewasher said:

perhaps EZ Build modified window etches could be added to the Dapol MK1s.

David Parkins and J & M Hughes both do etches as well. I'm sure one of them would fit.

https://www.djparkins.com/product.php?productid=18263&cat=302&page=2

My question is in 1967 or so, when blue grey first came in, were unmodified still exceptions or would they have been more common, ie were mods done as required, or had there been a mass refit earlier than this?

Edited by Hal Nail
typos
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 25/07/2022 at 23:17, Hal Nail said:

David Parkins and J & M Hughes both do etches as well. I'm sure one of them would fit.

https://www.djparkins.com/product.php?productid=18263&cat=302&page=2

My question is in 1967 or so, when blue grey first came in, were unmodified still exceptions or would they have been more common, ie were mods done as required, or had there been a mass refit earlier than this?

I can but refer you to the Bible on MK1s as a clue, without looking, I seem to recall several lined Maroon MK1s with modified windows within. The rot around the windows is referred to in the book and, again, iirc, corrosion was noticed within 2-5 years of the introduction of the MK1s. 

• 2 weeks later...

Smashing photo. Looks like Preston going north.

Quite a tight time frame that is 1965 - 08/1968, but it will be a bit earlier than August as I don't think that any Ivatt 4MTs made it that late. 

If it is Preston it could be a Barrow or Workington service.

ATB

OzzyO. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, ozzyo said:

Smashing photo. Looks like Preston going north.

Quite a tight time frame that is 1965 - 08/1968, but it will be a bit earlier than August as I don't think that any Ivatt 4MTs made it that late. 

ATB

OzzyO. 

If you click on the photo, the caption says Preston, April 68 (and the next photo has the station sign showing)

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, ozzyo said:

Does the "F" on the route indicator stand for "Fylde"?  In which case, it's a Blackpool train.  But then, I'd expect it to be on a platform over to the left: however, that's thinking about modern operations - if this has come from East Lancs this side of the station would be more likely.

13 hours ago, Dmudriver said:

Does the "F" on the route indicator stand for "Fylde"?  In which case, it's a Blackpool train.  But then, I'd expect it to be on a platform over to the left: however, that's thinking about modern operations - if this has come from East Lancs this side of the station would be more likely.

The "F" is for fast, IIRC the Blackpool line had a "B" to show its destination.

ATB

OzzyO.

PS later on in the photos you can see a Brit on the east lancs. platform at Preston. 

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, CME and Bottlewasher said:

Does anyone know if (and how) the battery boxes can be removed

Yes. If you weather the body inside and out - might be worth swapping sides over as well - eventually there will be a loud crack and the battery box will start wobbling. I cant be more precise!

Basically they are glued onto the chassis so careful force (or pop it in the freezer to break the joints).

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Thanks 1