Dapol Mark 1 coaches?

Kubes

On 17/08/2022 at 07:49, Hal Nail said:

Yes. If you weather the body inside and out - might be worth swapping sides over as well - eventually there will be a loud crack and the battery box will start wobbling. I cant be more precise!

Basically they are glued onto the chassis so careful force (or pop it in the freezer to break the joints).

Hi HN,

Thanks, much appreciated, I understand your second paragraph, but not the first, sorry, probably my ineptitude.

The Voltage Regulator box can be snipped off with Xurons - how satisfying😳😲😄😄👍

Sounds like the Battery boxes are a stiff drink and get on with it job👍🤔 They can't be cut out as they're too near to underframe trussing.

Returning to your first paragraph are you referring  to weathering the chassis and running gear by removing the sides and interiors? OR does the chassis come away with undoing the crosshead screws that are underneath?🤔🤔

Many thanks again.

Kindest regards 👍😊

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, CME and Bottlewasher said:

Thanks, much appreciated, I understand your second paragraph, but not the first, sorry, probably my ineptitude.

I broke mine whilst fiddling which is how i know how they are fixed....!

Sorry, I missed the second question. I did remove sides from the chassis/interior although not actually in order to weather.

First I popped the roof off - comes up easily but just be very careful with the plastic pipes at the ends, and undid the electrical connection. Then the sides and ends come away as one unit by unscrewing from the chassis from underneath. You can separate ends from sides (which i did as have maroon one side and choc and cream the other) but be very careful as they are glued.

If all you want to do is separate body from chassis to weather, you might be able to do it with the roof left on - I haven't tried.

Lovely models to look at but the design is a work of art as well. 

Edited by Hal Nail
answered a question
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

I broke mine whilst fiddling which is how i know how they are fixed....!

Sorry, I missed the second question. I did remove sides from the chassis/interior although not actually in order to weather.

First I popped the roof off - comes up easily but just be very careful with the plastic pipes at the ends, and undid the electrical connection. Then the sides and ends come away as one unit by unscrewing from the chassis from underneath. You can separate ends from sides (which i did as have maroon one side and choc and cream the other) but be very careful as they are glued.

If all you want to do is separate body from chassis to weather, you might be able to do it with the roof left on - I haven't tried.

Lovely models to look at but the design is a work of art as well. 

Thanks HN,

That's exactly what I needed to know.

I agree they're very good, well designed, I'm guessing that's down to Richard W's input. Although they are a little fragile in places too.

Many, many thanks.

Kindest regards in haste,

CME

• RMweb Premium

This may be a really daft question but I've just bought my first one of these (a BSK), beautiful coach but the interior lighting doesn't work.  Now my layout is DCC and I haven't fitted a decoder to the carriage but the instructions seem to suggest that so long as the underbody switches are 'On' then the lights should illuminate whether on DC or DCC and that the decoder would only be to have control of the lighting from your handset.  I've checked the interior connections and all seems OK with the little plugs, no loose wires etc - is there something that I'm perhaps missing?  Or do these indeed need a decoder fitted to operate on a  DCC layout.....Pretty eager to have the lighting since the interiors are so sublime.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 21/08/2022 at 23:41, norman said:

Yes, should work OK on DCC without a decoder.

All sorted thanks, took it back to Ellis Clark who as usual were brilliant and swapped it for another, this one works perfectly without decoder on DCC.  Just needs populating and a bit of weathering to finish off what is a stunning model.  I actually want to get into this coach, it looks a lot more comfortable than my Azuma commute!

D4D92FDD-514F-42E6-9D2D-985BA46743FB.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 25/07/2022 at 22:29, CME and Bottlewasher said:

At that time, 1970s, there were MK1s with unmodified windows, modified windows and some with extra door hinge plating, bottom edge of floor side plating and modified windows. The latter situation occurred more and more into the 1980s.

I see from the pics the new ones do have the door hinge plating as well as the raised window surrounds.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 03/09/2023 at 20:03, Hal Nail said:

BCK and FK versions have popped up on Rails website for pre order.

I thought (or hoped) Lionheart might do a BCK but didn't expect the first.

https://railsofsheffield.com/collections/o-gauge-latest-releases

Yes, saw the EP model at Stafford G0G yesterday. The BCK will be the flush window framed version, so apparently no release in BR (S) green. When enquiring about this I was initially told no BCKs appeared in green. I'm convinced that I've seen them in green, so the hunt for photos is on...

IMG_20230903_203506.jpg.f066bc12da7238d7567a581531043301.jpg

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

When enquiring about this I was initially told no BCKs appeared in green. I'm convinced that I've seen them 8n green, so the hunt for photos on...

I didn't know that,

Funnily enough though, in The Steaming Sixties, 4, the Withered Arm, which I believe is your sort of area, the only mk1 in the entire book is a BCK.... but it's in chocolate and cream!

Edit: no green BCK in any of my books but several numbered 3 coach BSK, CK, BSK sets.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Delighted to see these coaches coming available.

Upon reviewing the preliminary artwork of the blue and grey BCK and FK, my memory is the solebars and under gear were a brown/grey colour. Certainly not blue or black.  I don’t recall the colour of the coach ends however.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

frame of blue white repaints should be chocolate brown. 

There's a thread on refurbished DMU's on here somewhere which shows that brown quite clearly.

For the model I could live with them just being consistent with the earlier releases!

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Yes, saw the EP model at Stafford G0G yesterday. The BCK will be the flush window framed version, so apparently no release in BR (S) green. When enquiring about this I was initially told no BCKs appeared in green. I'm convinced that I've seen them 8n green, so the hunt for photos on...

IMG_20230903_203506.jpg.f066bc12da7238d7567a581531043301.jpg

The chocolate and cream version would look nice on Pencarrow  @2ManySpams

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Adam1701D said:

I asked the same question when I was doing the artwork. There were indeed green BCKs but they were delivered on Commonwealth bogies. They also had rather nice metal window frames.

Yes, that's bringing back a memory from research undertaken donkeys years ago...

On 03/09/2023 at 20:33, 2ManySpams said:

Yes, saw the EP model at Stafford G0G yesterday. The BCK will be the flush window framed version, so apparently no release in BR (S) green. When enquiring about this I was initially told no BCKs appeared in green. I'm convinced that I've seen them 8n green, so the hunt for photos on...

The Somerset & Dorset in Colour by Mike Arlett & David Lockett has on pages 94 & 95 a picture of 73054 at Evercreech Junction dated 1964 with what looks like a 'scratch' set comprising of a Brake Composite, Corridor Second, and Brake Second (reversed), all in BR (Southern) green.  The Brake Composite is on Commonwealth bogies but dosn't look like it has aluminium window frames

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Given that the current BSK’s come with screw link couplings at the guard compartment end, has anyone replaced them by adding the Close Coupling Assembly ?.  The intent being to run the BSK’s inboard of the consist. i.e.  TK, BSK, CK.

I have order some Close Coupling Assemblies from DCC Supplies to install in the BSK prior to reworking the outer ends of the TK & CK which will provide donor CCA’s for other coaches once they get screw links.  I have partly disassembled a coach to release the CCA but in some cases you have to remove seats to get at the screws which hold the coach interiors in.  I am hoping a CCA can be installed by removing the bogie only.

Time will tell.

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, D5158 said:

has anyone replaced them by adding the Close Coupling Assembly ?

Along the same lines, I wouldnt mind trying the Ellis Clark drophead ones mounted through the buffer beams which are a more prototypical height and can be used as a conventional drawhook as well, but I've never seen them in use to know how close they couple. 

• RMweb Premium

Hi Hal,

I fitted a pair of Ellis Clark a few months ago.  The jury is still out.  I need to do some more experimenting.

When time permits I will post a photograph.  

Edited by D5158
Spelling correction.
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Hal,

It turns out I fitted Ellis Clark drop buckeye couplings to two Lionheart BSK’s at the guards compartment ends.

On a single coach with the buckeye in the dropped position they look good and it is easy to raise and lower them.

This is providing you have worked the up and down movement a dozen or so times prior to fitting them, as per EC’s recommendation on their video.  They also clear the bottom of the corridor connections.  I have not attempted to couple up a screw coupling from a loco or tender however.  

With the buckeye dropped and no tail end traffic to pick up the look is acceptable to me.

With two BSK coaches fitted with EC couplings connected back to back, the spacing between the coaches is increased when compared with using the Close Coupling Assembly.  The corridor connections are fully extended.  This is the visual part which I do not like.

Fitting the couplings requires the use of a sharp scalpel to open up the vertical width of the existing slot.

Note all of the above relates to straight track.

Over to you.

• Thanks 1