RMweb

Orchard Road TMD - BR Blue - The Story Continues

mudmagnet

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for your comments. There does seem to be quite some gloom in the shed - by accident more than design, but I am very pleased with the result!

Interesting that you mention the smoke, I think that one of the developments from sound fitted locos would be puff of smoke when the engine fires and then prepares to move off. Probably something that could be done with a Seuthe smoke generator, but perhaps these do not produce the correct black / acrid smoke that you get with the diesel engine!

Wow!, just noticed that this thread now has reached 250 posts - I'm astounded that this layout has generated some much. Thanks to all for your comments.

Edited by mudmagnet

Thanks for your comments. There does seem to be quite some gloom in the shed - by accident more than design, but I am very pleased with the result!

Interesting that you mention the smoke, I think that one of the developments from sound fitted locos would be puff of smoke when the engine fires and then prepares to move off. Probably something that could be done with a Seuthe smoke generator, but perhaps these do not produce the correct black / acrid smoke that you get with the diesel engine!

Wow!, just noticed that this thread now has reached 250 posts - I'm astounded that this layout has generated some much. Thanks to all for your comments.

If my memory serves me well, there was a layout at Ally Pally a couple of years ago that had smoke units fitted to sound dcc diesels, Cant remember the layout name but it was 'o' Gauge

• RMweb Gold

Oggy, thanks for comments. I'm not sure how much space there would be in 00 locos as the recent models don't have a great deal of space, but I'm sure someone will find a way.

At least the 0 gauge locos have much more space!

• RMweb Gold

Hi

A further update.

I've been pondering what to do with the backscene behind the main depot building for sometime. I had thought about added a low-relief building or printed building on the backscene itself, but in the end decided that this may not frame the layout as well.

So, I've added a few trees along the back.

I place about a dozen basic trees first and took a couple of photos to see how this would look. I also emailed a photo to Darren01 (as 'Torrington' fame) for his opinion!

Anyway the concensus was that the trees would be good, so I've added the foliage today and glued these in position.

The signal still needs to be sorted and can't put it off any longer, so will need to get this finished in the next couple of days!

I have added a few photos - what do you think?

Edit - just noticed that the roof on the building has not been put back properly, hence the gap above the down-pipe.

post-7854-0-50301100-1301169075_thumb.jpg

post-7854-0-47513500-1301169094_thumb.jpg

post-7854-0-93258600-1301169113_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich,

Yes, you're right - the corner joint is also hidden!

Next time, (on the next layout) I will use radius corners! However, in this case, the depth of the boards and trying to get the buildings as close to the corners as possible, it was not very feasible to radius the corner.

Also, at the other end of the layout, where th bridge runs across as scenic break, having a radius corner just would not have worked.

Totally fantastic, i have got so much inspiration from looking through this thread, you have a keen eye for detail, i have so many ideas going through my head now on how to detail mt depot layout.

great work

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Totally fantastic, i have got so much inspiration from looking through this thread, you have a keen eye for detail, i have so many ideas going through my head now on how to detail mt depot layout.

great work

Neil

Thanks Neil,

Glad to read that you find inspiration in Orchard Road.

Hi Mudders,

Those trees look amazing, I just reminds me of the trees in our yard that used to be GWR Barnstaple Victoria Road station. They seem to line the perimeter with trees to disguise the fact a station is there plus it acts as a sound deadener. Brilliant work!

Chris

Hi

A further update.

I've been pondering what to do with the backscene behind the main depot building for sometime. I had thought about added a low-relief building or printed building on the backscene itself, but in the end decided that this may not frame the layout as well.

So, I've added a few trees along the back.

I place about a dozen basic trees first and took a couple of photos to see how this would look. I also emailed a photo to Darren01 (as 'Torrington' fame) for his opinion!

Anyway the concensus was that the trees would be good, so I've added the foliage today and glued these in position.

The signal still needs to be sorted and can't put it off any longer, so will need to get this finished in the next couple of days!

I have added a few photos - what do you think?

Edit - just noticed that the roof on the building has not been put back properly, hence the gap above the down-pipe.

Hi Richard

I do like the trees in the background it like's a lot better than the blue screen at the back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi not much to report and no photos to add, but have been working a few bits and pieces.

I attempted to connect the wires to the signal arm and counter balance, but need to open up the holes with a small drill (need to get another drill bit).

A few little areas of scenery have been touched up, so looking a bit better.

I have also bought a Heljan 33 and fitted with Lenz Standard+ decoder and given a test run. This decoder works very well. A light weathering will follow.

Still some work to do on the interior of the shed, but as mentioned before is going to be an on-going process.

• RMweb Gold

Although the Heljan 33 shouldn't be used (should be keeping for my birthday in a few weeks), I couldn't resist taking a couple of photos on Orchard Road.

As mentioned above will be lightly weathered.

post-7854-0-57898200-1302376325_thumb.jpg

post-7854-0-56800900-1302376351_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Mud, love the trees behind the depot, where or how did you make them, there the perfect size, colour n height for what im looking for.

Cheers

Neil

hi Neil,

Thanks for comment. Sorry for late repy, but have just got back from York on holiday (planned in to also visit North York Moors Railway and the railway show!).

The trees are seam-foam, available from various sources but mine came from Green Scenes - look for 'forest-in-a-box'. These are actually old ones that I had in a box, that weren't used on a previous layout and ended up getting a bit squashed!

I selected a dozen or so and gently eased out the 'trunks'. Each was then coated with scatter, building up various colours to add variety.

Hope that this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi, dare I write - the layout is almost finished! Still a few more details to add to the interior of the shed, some of which have been added and can be seen on the photo.

I couldn't resist another black and white shot with the 08 'on-shed'.

I have added a few etch brass panels, quietly rusting away!

Just under four weeks to go for the next exhibition - in Hayle and then followed the next weekend in Exeter. Very much looking forward to these and you come along, please say hello.

A few more jobs to be completed before the exhibition.

post-7854-0-66182000-1304356595_thumb.jpg

post-7854-0-11506500-1304356608_thumb.jpg

post-7854-0-95858400-1304356622_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Chris.

I have a few more ideas for details on the benches and on the shelves, but making these in 4mm does take some patience and sanity (or is that in-sanity!)

• RMweb Gold

Not much to report, but getting ready for the next show in a couple of weeks in Hayle and then Exeter.

I have been working a Judith Edge kit for a class 06 (I know out of region, but destined for a new industrial layout at some point), so not much work on Orchard Road, although still need to finish the interior of the shed and weather another loco - will post photos when done.

• RMweb Gold

I've not been doing very much on Orchard Road lately, but just need to finish off a few jobs ready for Hayle Exhibition in less than two weeks.

However, I have been building a Judith Edge kit for a class 06 as mentioned in previous entry. I thought that a photo might be worthwhile. I still need to add some of the details to the engine casing and then clean up the solder.

The interior of the cab needs finishing and then the roof adding. I also need to order the motor and gearbox, plus crankpins, which I forgot to buy when I bought the wheels! I won't be able to get finished in time for Hayle though.

post-7854-0-59691900-1305489006_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi

used to be a couple of 06s that used to hang about Dundee early 80s. They were withdrawn there too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cookephotography/1465794832/in/set-72157605329209629

06 006 and 06 005

Got a few rides in and out of central platforms a few times when releasing 26s and 27s from Edinburgh/Glasgow stock.

Ahhh the memories :cry:

Chris